• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Predicting the Steelers Day 2 Picks

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers will head into Day 2 of the NFL Draft with two more draft selections, pick 55 in the 2nd round and pick 87 in the 3rd round. Based on the selections of Thursday night, the Steelers have a clearer outlook of what players will be available for them tonight. Here is projecting what they might do when they get on the clock.

Round 2 Pick 55 – Creed Humphrey, C Oklahoma

This is a no brainer for the Steelers since they just drafted Najee Harris in the 1st round. Their current center situation isn’t great and Humphrey would be penciled in as the Day 1 starter. Humphrey started 37 games in his collegiate career and could be the Steelers center for the next decade. As a former wrestler, he has great awareness to use his size and strength to his advantage when being locked up on the inside. He has excellent footwork and a great sense of when to work up to the second level. The only draw back to him is his limited arm length which allows longer defenders to get their hands on him first. I think center will be the pick in round 2 no matter what, it will just be a question of who is available between him and Landon Dickerson.

Other Players Considered: Samuel Cosmi T Texas, Dillon Radunz T North Dakota State, Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater

Round 3 Pick 87 – Pete Werner, ILB Ohio State

This will be a pick to help the Steelers address athleticism at the linebacker position, something that was missed when Devin Bush went down with injury last season. Werner played in 39 games for the Buckeyes and started in 27, amassing 185 total tackles in his 4-year collegiate career. Werner was regularly tasked as being the athletic linebacker of the group lining up over tight ends or slot receivers. It is easy to see why looking at his explosive Pro Day numbers. 4.58 40-yard dash, 39.5″ vertical jump, and a 6.95 3-cone drill; all while measuring 6’2 7/8″ 238lbs. Werner could be someone who’s impact would immediately be felt on special teams and 3rd down sub packages. In a year or two he could develop into a regular starter opposite of Bush forming one of the more athletic linebacker duos in the NFL.

Other Players Considered: Baron Browning LB Ohio State, Aaron Robinson CB UCF, Tommy Tremble TE Notre Dame

Who will the Steelers draft on Friday night? Drop your predictions below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Would love Humphrey but guessing we will need to trade up to get him. Meinerz may be the only one remaining at our pick. I'd take him, though, if we don't move up to get one of the top C's or even Radunz at LT. Werner would be a nice pick to pair with Bush in the future. Tremble would also be a good pick in the 3rd.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I think center will be the pick in round 2 no matter what, it will just be a question of who is available between him and Landon Dickerson.
Just saw that the Giants have real interest in Dickerson so they're both likely gone by then.

titus

Contributor
Reaction score
How big of a meltdown would there be if the Steelers took Kyle Trask?

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
My feeling is they're going to move up to get Humphrey or Dickerson. They'll use next year's third and one of our 4th rounders this year.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
My feeling is they're going to move up to get Humphrey or Dickerson. They'll use next year's third and one of our 4th rounders this year.

Would do it for Humphrey but not Dickerson. Have a feeling he's going to fall unless a team is really enamored with him and willing to take the chance.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Would do it for Humphrey but not Dickerson. Have a feeling he's going to fall unless a team is really enamored with him and willing to take the chance.

Just as I typed that I read Gerry Dulac say the Steelers think Dickerson is the best C in the draft. Better than Humphrey?

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Just as I typed that I read Gerry Dulac say the Steelers think Dickerson is the best C in the draft. Better than Humphrey?
Well. I'm fine with either. If Dickerson fell to us that would be great but I don't think he will and it's one big glaring need. I don't think they should wait bacause if one goes early, now we're desperate and partners know it. They probably know it already. If they're going to run the ball, they need that day one starting mauler.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I would be fine with either Creed or Landon.Both would be starters day one.
man I wish we had an extra second round pick. Wonder what it would take to make that happen?

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Dickerson maybe good or the best, but the injuries are scary. I am more concerned about tackles than C though.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting nugget from Lolley in his Day 2 Targets article over at DK:

"4. Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State -- The Steelers feel he's a little soft. But he's still a good player."

If that's their true thoughts, it sheds a little light on how highly they rated Jenkins v Harris and also potentially on how highly they might rate him against other available talent if he's available to them with the next pick (He won't be).

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Well. I'm fine with either. If Dickerson fell to us that would be great but I don't think he will and it's one big glaring need. I don't think they should wait bacause if one goes early, now we're desperate and partners know it. They probably know it already. If they're going to run the ball, they need that day one starting mauler.

Dickerson just scares me with the injury bug. And we haven't had very good luck with Centers and injuries. He's a run-blocking mauler though and paired up with Najee again, could be a potential home-run.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would be more interested in Humphries, than the other two

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting nugget from Lolley in his Day 2 Targets article over at DK:

"4. Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State -- The Steelers feel he's a little soft. But he's still a good player."

If that's their true thoughts, it sheds a little light on how highly they rated Jenkins v Harris and also potentially on how highly they might rate him against other available talent if he's available to them with the next pick (He won't be).

That sounds 100% like marketing strategy. I have never seen or heard any evidence of Jenkins being "soft." Quite the opposite. I suspect they may be talking him down in the hopes he falls.

Round 2 Pick 55 – Creed Humphrey, C Oklahoma

Round 3 Pick 87 – Pete Werner, ILB Ohio State

Also Creed Humphrey at 55 and Pete Werner at 87 would be larceny. Humphrey is a top-40 player, Werner top-65.

I would love that since the Steelers could then go Spencer Brown - Northern Iowa or Jaylen Murphy - Western Michigan in the 4th.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My picks for today (no trading up):

Round 2 Pick 23: Landon Dickerson, C/OG, Alabama
Round 3 Pick 23: Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa

Dickerson I could live with (yikes, that injury history - but damn, if he's on the field, he is destroying defensive tackles), but Jackson does not intrigue me nearly as much as Spencer Brown.

Dude is massive, but quick. Not fat. Long arms? Freakishly long. Footwork good-not-great, the elite speed rushers/edge turners give him problems, but that is fixable. He has a really low set, keeps his pads down pretty well. Dominated the lower-level competition to the point he almost seemed bored at times.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
My picks for today (no trading up):

Round 2 Pick 23: Landon Dickerson, C/OG, Alabama
Round 3 Pick 23: Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
No to Dickerson.
Which comes first, Najee gets 1,000 yards or Dickerson gets injured and is out for the season? I'd give it even odds on both happening this season.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
It's time for you and I to start sipping. You, obviously, need it more than me :p:ROFLMAO:
Seriously Berm, did Dickerson complete 1 whole season without a season ending injury at 'Bama? I read in some blurb that he did not. If not, you just have to be more than worried about the investment.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously Berm, did Dickerson complete 1 whole season without a season ending injury at 'Bama? I read in some blurb that he did not. If not, you just have to be more than worried about the investment.
Your concerns are valid; but no quite accurate...

He got hurt in the SEC Championship game in 2020 and came back to 'snap the last ball' in the National Championship. He heals quickly.

In 2019 he played the whole season.

The other injury took place in 2017, while he was at FSU.

I hope you enjoy the read!!!

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Your concerns are valid; but no quite accurate...

He got hurt in the SEC Championship game in 2020 and came back to 'snap the last ball' in the National Championship. He heals quickly.

In 2019 he played the whole season.

The other injury took place in 2017, while he was at FSU.

I hope you enjoy the read!!!
It was a good skim. What I saw was five years and four injuries. Three of those injuries, the ones at FSU, occurred early in the season 7th game (2016), 4th game (2017) and 1st game (2018). The last injury, in 2020 occurred at the end of the season.
I'm not down on Dickerson as a player. Hell, I think he has a lot of DOG in him. The injuries, and the type of injuries they were, is off putting for me.
If he's the pick, I'll celebrate and root for him like any of our players. That said, to quote a great football philosopher, "The best ability is availability"