• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Prospects the Steelers have met with

ianv2012

Reaction score
Texas RB D'Onta Foreman
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-meet-texas-rb-donta-foreman-combine/

Clemson RB Wayne Gallman
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-met-clemson-rb-wayne-gallman-combine/

FSU T Roderick Johnson
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-meet-informally-fsu-t-roderick-johnson-combine/

Toledo TE Michael Roberts
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/report-steelers-interview-toledo-te-michael-roberts-combine/

Villanova DE Tanoh Kpassagnon
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-interview-villanova-de-tanoh-kpassagnon/

Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes
Texas A&M WR Josh Reynolds
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-meet-qb-patrick-mahomes-wr-josh-reynolds/

Houston WR Greg Ward Jr.
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/report-steelers-met-qb-turned-wr-greg-ward-jr-combine/

South Alabama TE Gerald Everett
Ole Miss TE Evan Engram
Pittsburgh TE Scott Orndoff
Arkansas TE Jeremy Sprinkle
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-met-two-top-rated-tight-ends-combine/

ianv2012

Reaction score
Miami (FL) QB Brad Kaaya

Penn State WR Chris Godwin

West Virginia WR Shelton Gibson

Oregon TE Pharoh Brown

Ashland TE Adam Shaheen

SteelersDepot has a master list now that they will update
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-combine-interview-masterlist-updating/

ianv2012

Reaction score
Iowa QB CJ Beathard

Tennessee QB Joshua Dobbs

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-combine-interview-masterlist-updating/

You're welcome. :)

Interesting so many QB's. Not sure if it's been normal the past couple years. Also, not sure what that says about Landry as well.

ianv2012

Reaction score

You're welcome. :)

Interesting so many QB's. Not sure if it's been normal the past couple years. Also, not sure what that says about Landry as well.

I put that link in the 2nd post, just figured I'd continue posting who gets added to get a discussion going possibly. It hasn't been normal, and wouldn't shock me if Ben's comments about retirement didn't cause them to seriously start considering life after Big Ben

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
I put that link in the 2nd post, just figured I'd continue posting who gets added to get a discussion going possibly. It hasn't been normal, and wouldn't shock me if Ben's comments about retirement didn't cause them to seriously start considering life after Big Ben

I agree. They would be smart to take it seriously. Outside of Mahomes I wouldn't be crazy about any of them.

xjx

Reaction score
If they take a qb he wont replace Jones. He will be 3rd string.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Greg Ward Jr. was a solid WR before he moved to QB at UH...even as a QB though he showed elusiveness when running the ball. I don't remember him much as a punt returner....I didn't add him to my Pimping UH players thread since the Steelers already have a player similar to him in Ayers.....now if they wanted him to take over Landry Jones spot, I would be happy with that...

deljzc

Reaction score
Ugh.... we're looking at QB's... in a bad QB draft....

Why do I keep thinking the 1990's are right around the corner again.....

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Ugh.... we're looking at QB's... in a bad QB draft....

Why do I keep thinking the 1990's are right around the corner again.....

they met with almost twice as many TEs than QBs and only one OL so far.....now it is a good TE draft (or so TMC says)

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dobbs is interesting, but certainly not worth more than a middle round pick.
he's an aeronautical engineering student (that means he studied to be a rocket scientist, Coolietard), so it's highly doubtful any of the terminology in any offense would confuse him.
physically, he's a talented athlete, but not Kordell-like.
he sure seems to have some hitches in his windup and does occasionally lock onto his receiver.

he could replace Landry easily and be at least as good/bad right now.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I like Beathard and Dobbs as late round prospects. Beathard is the grandson of legendary former GM Bobby Beathard.

Beathard at Iowa and Dobbs at Tenn were kind of in silimar situations where they were hindered by conservative offenses that didn't give them many opportunities.

I'd love to get Chris Godwin. He's not that fast but he's big and physical and great at making contested catches. When the ball is in the air, he goes and gets it. That is a rare skill for college WRs

There is a blog called "Reception Perception" that has been around for a few years. It statistically tracks WRs by types of routes run and comes up with numbers that show which routes they get separation, which routes they make their most catches, etc. They also have stats on contested catches. Godwin got one of their highest scores ever on contested catches.

Anybody who watched a Penn State game saw Godwin go up and get a few jump balls, including against a USC secondary that has multiple guys who will be in the NFL.

Steelers have a bunch of guys with speed. They can use a physical guy who can make the tough catches. They can use another Hines Ward.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I like Beathard and Dobbs as late round prospects. Beathard is the grandson of legendary former GM Bobby Beathard.

Beathard at Iowa and Dobbs at Tenn were kind of in silimar situations where they were hindered by conservative offenses that didn't give them many opportunities.

I'd love to get Chris Godwin. He's not that fast but he's big and physical and great at making contested catches. When the ball is in the air, he goes and gets it. That is a rare skill for college WRs

There is a blog called "Reception Perception" that has been around for a few years. It statistically tracks WRs by types of routes run and comes up with numbers that show which routes they get separation, which routes they make their most catches, etc. They also have stats on contested catches. Godwin got one of their highest scores ever on contested catches.

Anybody who watched a Penn State game saw Godwin go up and get a few jump balls, including against a USC secondary that has multiple guys who will be in the NFL.

Steelers have a bunch of guys with speed. They can use a physical guy who can make the tough catches. They can use another Hines Ward.

I would say Bryant is that guy, but he will likely smoke his way out of the league.....

ianv2012

Reaction score
Add QBs Deshone Kizer Notre Dame, and Cooper Rush Central Michigan. As well as WR John Ross Washington.

http://http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2017/03/steelers-combine-interview-masterlist-updating/

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

He had a blazing 4.42 speed, so he impressed in that area. Either way, Godwin is a guy that I would like the Steelers to take a strong look at. Solidify the receiving corps.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Steelersdepot added to their master list:

DL-
Elijah Qualls, Washington
Chris Wormley, Michigan
Davon Godchaux, LSU

EDGE/OLB-
Tim Williams, Alabama
Haason Reddick, Temple
Derek Rivers, Youngstown State
Ejuan Price, Pittsburgh
DeMarcus Walker, Florida State
Tarell Basham, Ohio
TJ Watt, Wisconsin
Carl Lawson, Auburn
Devonte Fields, Louisville
Joe Mathis, Washington
Tashawn Bower, LSU
Fadol Brown, Mississippi
Ryan Anderson, Alabama

LB-
Duke Riley, LSU

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Safe to say Steelers want an Edge guy, TE, and QB this draft and almost certainly a WR.

Stoney

Reaction score
Is it possible the both O.J. Howard and Evan Engram are gone by #30? Ethnic solid, healthy, pass catching TE would open this offense up quite a bit. One of those two, or the kid from Clemson would be a great first round pick, then go defense the rest of the way.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible the both O.J. Howard and Evan Engram are gone by #30? Ethnic solid, healthy, pass catching TE would open this offense up quite a bit. One of those two, or the kid from Clemson would be a great first round pick, then go defense the rest of the way.

I think possibly two will be gone, and that is it. OJ and David.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Looking at that list guys that would intrigue me are as followed.

Michael Roberts TE Toledo
Massive TE, huge hands, very good blocker. Seems to have best football ahead of him.

Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M
I honestly assume Ross and Godwin are off the board by 30 now so I looked at the next three. Reynolds is a lanky speedy vertical threat. If he could pack on 10 functional pounds it would do him good. Could be a nice vertical option opposite AB.

Haas Reddick OLB Temple
There's a few I like on that list in the first round but here's a guy that I like who likely is around later. Reddick is a skilled pass rusher who flies off the snap and has a non-stop motor. He kinda reminds me of Debo to be honest.

Tanoh Kpassagnon DL Villanova
Massive 6-7, 290lbs, huge hands and wingspan. Just dominated this last year and I was hoping he'd be a nice 3rd option but at this point I'm hoping second round. DL isn't a huge need but I feel having a rotational player like this to spell Tuitt and Cam is important for both their health.

Brad Kaaya QB Miami
Kaaya is a productive QB in a pro style offense. Nice pocket awareness, ability to read and deliver, nice mechanics. Might be limited at next level. Dobbs from Tennessee is another guy I'm interested in but he's more of a project than Kaaya.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't reddick better fit for ILB or MLB in a 4-3?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at that list guys that would intrigue me are as followed.

Michael Roberts TE Toledo
Massive TE, huge hands, very good blocker. Seems to have best football ahead of him.

Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M
I honestly assume Ross and Godwin are off the board by 30 now so I looked at the next three. Reynolds is a lanky speedy vertical threat. If he could pack on 10 functional pounds it would do him good. Could be a nice vertical option opposite AB.

Haas Reddick OLB Temple
There's a few I like on that list in the first round but here's a guy that I like who likely is around later. Reddick is a skilled pass rusher who flies off the snap and has a non-stop motor. He kinda reminds me of Debo to be honest.

Tanoh Kpassagnon DL Villanova
Massive 6-7, 290lbs, huge hands and wingspan. Just dominated this last year and I was hoping he'd be a nice 3rd option but at this point I'm hoping second round. DL isn't a huge need but I feel having a rotational player like this to spell Tuitt and Cam is important for both their health.

Brad Kaaya QB Miami
Kaaya is a productive QB in a pro style offense. Nice pocket awareness, ability to read and deliver, nice mechanics. Might be limited at next level. Dobbs from Tennessee is another guy I'm interested in but he's more of a project than Kaaya.

Temple would bring small school concerns or not? not the Steelers pattern in 1.

And Kaaya? The deer in the headlight Kaaya?

can't say I am fond of that prospect..............

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Isn't reddick better fit for ILB or MLB in a 4-3?

Reddick is probably going to be a player in the league, but just wait until we take him in the first and try to match him up against tackles every down.