• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pryor visits Steelers

Vis

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...calvin-pryor-meeting-with-pittsburgh-steelers

Pittsburgh signed free-agent safety Mike Mitchell last month, and the Steelers are entertaining one of the best safeties in the draft Monday.

Louisville's Calvin Pryor -- considered either the best or second-best safety in the draft -- was visiting with the Steelers to start the week, according to the Twitter feed of Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reporter Ed Bouchette. Pittsburgh would seem to need a cornerback more than a safety.

Pryor (5-foot-11, 198 pounds) is the top safety and the No. 15 overall player on NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of the draft's top 50 prospects. He is the No. 2 safety, behind Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, in NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock's positional rankings.

Pittsburgh owns the No. 15 overall pick, which would be a sensible spot for Pryor to be drafted. But would Pittsburgh, which also has a need at wide receiver and along the defensive line in addition to corner, use its first-round pick on a safety after signing Mitchell, 26, to pair with Troy Polamalu?

Pryor is a huge hitter who covers a lot of ground, but his coverage skills aren't necessarily a positive. While he played free safety with Louisville, he wouldn't be out of place at strong safety in the NFL because of his hitting ability and work against the run.

Pryor has visited with, among others, the Detroit Lions, who pick 10th. That seems too early to pick Pryor, though.

The Post-Gazette also reported that the Steelers met with Minnesota defensive back Brock Vereen, who played strong safety with the Gophers and seems to fit best at that position in the NFL, and South Carolina wide receiver Bruce Ellington. The shifty Ellington is seen as a likely second-day pick (Rounds 2-3), while Vereen -- the brother of Patriots running back Shane Vereen -- looks like a third-day (Rounds 4-7) selection.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I figured that was Terrell Pryor. The thread title scared the hell out of me for a second.

Scott T

Forefather
Reaction score
I think they would more likely go after CB Darqueze Dennard.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Was he singing?

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Pryor a lot. Before we signed MM I was hoping we would draft him...15 seems perfect.

skialta

Reaction score
i like pryor, think he'll be a solid player...but deNnard is definitely the pick after signing MM. love the MM signing though

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
If I were a gambling man. I'd wager that this is an attempt to get the Ravens to jump ahead of the Steelers to take Pryor. Your front office knows how badly we need another safety. Vewwy sneaky.

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
Ed, y'all don't need another safety. The dirty birds will win lots of games with Flacco throwing more picks than tds. This is the new NFL, remember the team with God at qb won the SB last year....... Oh wait, yeah y'all need a S bad. Maybe Ed can find his 50k back in bmore

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin came to East Lansing and had dinner that night after MSU's pro day with Dennard. He did the same thing with LeVeon Bell last year. I would be shocked if we don't pick him if he's there when we pick in the first round.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

NorthernSteeler

Reaction score
I like Dennard, but I am concerned about his size. He is 1" taller than Willie Gay and 7 lbs heavier (so far).

That said, Revis is the same height and 1 lb heavier. I'd love the next Revis, but would be upset with another Willie Gay.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Dennard, but I am concerned about his size. He is 1" taller than Willie Gay and 7 lbs heavier (so far).

That said, Revis is the same height and 1 lb heavier. I'd love the next Revis, but would be upset with another Willie Gay.

If height and weight determined talent, Scott Shields would have been a HOFer!