• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Question for the board please

steelhurt

Reaction score
I know how the franchise tag works, I get that but I have to embarrassingly ask you all, how exactly does the transition tag work?
Can it be applied to Bud or JuJu who are unrestricted F/A’s? And if we can why would we not use it?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The transition tag guarantees a player a one-year deal based on the five-year cap average percentage from the top-10 salaries at each position. There is no compensation for the Steelers if they refused to match an offer from another team. Without much cap space, the Steelers aren't going to lock themselves into a one-year cap hit of $13+ million.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The transition tag guarantees a player a one-year deal based on the five-year cap average percentage from the top-10 salaries at each position. There is no compensation for the Steelers if they refused to match an offer from another team. Without much cap space, the Steelers aren't going to lock themselves into a one-year cap hit of $13+ million.
That's the thing, I don't think they can afford that either. It's like they franchise tagged Durpee last season, they can franchise him again but a second-year franchise tag is an automatic 120% increase which they can't afford.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Ron's right. Tag money is a hard cost that you can't spread out. Currently we're about $8M under the cap ($185M projected cap). Any tag would put us over the cap.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Yes as cope said we are too close to the cap and our cap in the offseason only accounts for the top 51 player contracts so a bunch of those spots need to still be filled with better and more pricey players and ultimately two more contracts will count by the start of tge season... they have a ways to go still

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
Seems Cap is set at $182.5M