• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Questions about ambiguous officiating, seemingly conflicting rules.....

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't you watch the Rangers series??? They sure didn't even up the penalty calls in that series.

I wasn't commenting on that particular series, but on officiating in general. We could have an entirely different thread about the bias of officials for or against certain teams. Clearly the Pens take their share of questionable penalties while watching the refs swallow the whistle for the same fouls by the other teams. But that's a homer point of view to a great extent - I'm sure every fan of other teams feels the same way about the treatment they get from the officials too. Just like in the NFL, I'm all for any solution that reduces subjectivity in officiating, as long as it doesn't compromise the game itself (like over-use of instant replay).

Lmob0621

Reaction score
I wasn't commenting on that particular series, but on officiating in general. We could have an entirely different thread about the bias of officials for or against certain teams. Clearly the Pens take their share of questionable penalties while watching the refs swallow the whistle for the same fouls by the other teams. But that's a homer point of view to a great extent - I'm sure every fan of other teams feels the same way about the treatment they get from the officials too. Just like in the NFL, I'm all for any solution that reduces subjectivity in officiating, as long as it doesn't compromise the game itself (like over-use of instant replay).

I was being sarcastic... and the Rangers did enjoy the PP advantage for the majority of the time.

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic... and the Rangers did enjoy the PP advantage for the majority of the time.

I agree with you. I also felt like the Rangers were getting away with a lot of the same stuff that the Pens were taking penalties for. I just also recognize that fans of every team are probably pre-disposed to feel that way about how their team gets treated, so if I'm making an argument about the subjectivity vs. objectivity of the officiating, then I have to avoid being a hypocrite and acknowledge that my thoughts about the officiating are probably biased in the Penguins' favor.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
I want the traditions put back in hockey and I want Bettman, and Shanahan (player enforcement my butt) to go. You guys are right. How wasn't Lucic suspended for spearing the groins of those players? Incredible the double standard that the NHL has.

Lucic's an ***.....I get that he doesn't like some of the Canadiens.....that he felt he was cheap shotted, whatever (kettle / pot). And I get the argument about hypocrisy but you just shouldn't act like that during the hand shake imo.

The Prince of Wales Conference
The Campbell Conference

Put the names back into the game because it's important to the history and legacy of hockey.

The Patrick Division now is the Metropolitan Division

Talk about sissifying the game. You knew what you were getting in the Smythe, the Adams, the Norris and the Patrick Divisions. The Metropolitan is a really bad drink name. Why apply it to the NHL?.

Great points about tradition K....miss the old names.

Agree totally. And end the practice of "evening up" penalty calls. If one team commits lots of penalties and the other doesn't, don't penalize the other team just to "make it even." Each penalty is a punishment and a deterrent to that individual player. Overall number of penalties in a game should be an indicator to the organization as a whole that they are undisciplined. Maybe some teams commit lots of penalties and still win, and that's their philosophy, and I'm OK with that. But there shouldn't be this sense with the officials of, "the last three penalties went against Team A, so I should look for any ticky-tack, questionable thing I can find so I can blow the whistle on Team B."

I don't know where that "tradition" started, but it's definitely time or it to end.

I agree with you. I also felt like the Rangers were getting away with a lot of the same stuff that the Pens were taking penalties for. I just also recognize that fans of every team are probably pre-disposed to feel that way about how their team gets treated, so if I'm making an argument about the subjectivity vs. objectivity of the officiating, then I have to avoid being a hypocrite and acknowledge that my thoughts about the officiating are probably biased in the Penguins' favor.

Sometimes they really are out to get you.