• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Quincy Roche drafted in the 6th round

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
I can’t believe we got this guy in the 6th. Should have gone IMO around the 3-4th range. Going to provide depth at a needed position. Love everything about him. A leader on the field and just a play maker. Has a variety of pass rush moves and IMO just needs to get stronger and develop a little more.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I can’t believe we got this guy in the 6th. Should have gone IMO around the 3-4th range. Going to provide depth at a needed position. Love everything about him. A leader on the field and just a play maker. Has a variety of pass rush moves and IMO just needs to get stronger and develop a little more.
Yeah i concur... i saw him on a lot of 3rd to 4th lists and even those said he might go higher.... i was confused cause he wasn’t even on best available lists when we got him... I figured he was long gone

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Baldinger with some film breakdown of Roche. Variety of moves and a technician.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
toney just went I was hoping we could add another edge rusher but we got 2 solid LB lets to see how Butler utilizes them maybe more 4 man fronts and hopefully more overload blitzes with LB as Hilton is gone now. any news why Toney fell so much

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Very interesting prospect. Can turn the corner, highly productive pass rusher at Temple, then Miami. Brief clip of him abusing Leatherwood at the Senior Bowl.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Two top College players💪<br><br>Quincy Roche vs Alex Leatherwood<br><br>(<a href="https://twitter.com/ChaseGoodbread?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@ChaseGoodbread</a>)<br><br> <a href="https://t.co/6tSwJfmxVQ">pic.twitter.com/6tSwJfmxVQ</a></p>&mdash; PFF Draft (@PFF_College) <a href="">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Light for an OLB'er at 242 lbs. But he can get to the passer.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
One of my favorite picks in this draft dude is a Steeler all the way he is a doooggg on the outside just keeps attacking hell make this team and make it better.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Yeah, we definitely got a guy who understands how to use his hands. He might not be a double digit sack guy but he’s a guy that hurries the throw or tackles the back for a 3 yard loss. I think he and Highsmith will compliment each other well.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, we definitely got a guy who understands how to use his hands. He might not be a double digit sack guy but he’s a guy that hurries the throw or tackles the back for a 3 yard loss. I think he and Highsmith will compliment each other well.
Memories of the good old days when the Steelers didn't have to fight 15 other teams for 4-3 OLB or DE tweeners they could convert. Guys always had to bring their "A" game. Because if they didn't, there was some hungry guy just below him on the depth chart just waiting for an opportunity to take his spot (i.e. Porter/Harrison). We haven't had that type of competition for a looooong time. Would be nice to see it again.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Still don't understand why he was there but I'll take it. His pro day was good, his film is good, inside moves are wicked, outside moves look to be NFL ready, hand fighting is already there, strength is not really in question, his production is good over several years, so why was he there in the 6th?

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Still don't understand why he was there but I'll take it. His pro day was good, his film is good, inside moves are wicked, outside moves look to be NFL ready, hand fighting is already there, strength is not really in question, his production is good over several years, so why was he there in the 6th?

Yeah, good question. There's "falling" and then there's "falling into the Grand Canyon." Decent size for the position at 6'3", 240 lbs. Good college production, in fact great in 2019 at Temple (19 tackles for loss, 13 sacks). Ran a 4.69 40. For comparison, TJ Watt ran a 4.71.

Really is a mystery, particularly how pass rushers were disappearing off the board in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
NBC Sports had him listed as their 10th ranked pass rusher. They stated that he has a Relative Athletic Score of 7.32; although I couldn't find verification. For comparison, Highsmith had a RAS of 8.06 and Watt's was 9.92. Apparently Roche declined to participate in the broad jump, shuttle or 3-cone drills during his pro day. So, the knock on Roche wasn't about production. It appears to be that he's viewed as limited athletically and he didn't do enough to dispel that when he failed to participate in three of the drills that teams use to gauge athleticism.
I still think he was a steel (get it?) where we got him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/nfl-draft-order/nfl-draft-edge-rankings

Alex-Highsmith-RAS-18293.png
t.j.-watt-ras-14943.png

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ya... Just sayin' if the Steelers thought he was a 3rd/4th round talent, they don't make some ****** up trade to get a guy nobody's ever heard of before in the 4th and wait for the greatest draft drop of all timez in the 6th.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I found his pro day numbers:
Roche had a 9’11 in the broad jump, a three-cone drill of 7.18, 4.42 in the shuttle, a vertical jump of 32.5 and bench pressed 23 reps. Roche is projected to be taken on day two day of the NFL Draft in the second or third round. Roche will almost definitely be the third DE end from Miami chose early in the 2021 NFL Draft.

https://caneswarning.com/2021/03/29...gest-pro-day-winner-per-senior-bowl-director/

explosive numbers are pretty close to Highsmith, in fact they are pretty similar in almost everything

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1026142&DraftYear=2021

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
We will take him. I think our biggest issues in this draft were going TE too early and trading up for a position we didn't have a huge need at.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We will take him. I think our biggest issues in this draft were going TE too early and trading up for a position we didn't have a huge need at.

Yeah, if you trade up for a guy, then you might want to draft a guy other teams are likely to pick. Loudermilk may have been on another team's draft board, I guess, but more likely his name came up only in conversations involving old people about the grocery list.

Wife: Make sure you pick up some milk at the store.
Husband: What?
Wife: Make sure you pick up some milk at the store.
Husband: Still can't hear you. What do you want?
Wife: Milk
Husband:
Louder!
Wife: Milk!

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

alancac98

Reaction score
Ya... Just sayin' if the Steelers thought he was a 3rd/4th round talent, they don't make some ****** up trade to get a guy nobody's ever heard of before in the 4th and wait for the greatest draft drop of all timez in the 6th.
'Yep, as I was reading the comments, that struck me as well Wig. If they were going to trade up in the 5th for a player, why didn't they take him at that time if he had a 3rd/4th round grade on him. Hell, everyone and their brother had Milk as a UDFA yet they passed on Roche to take him!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Memories of the good old days when the Steelers didn't have to fight 15 other teams for 4-3 OLB or DE tweeners they could convert. Guys always had to bring their "A" game. Because if they didn't, there was some hungry guy just below him on the depth chart just waiting for an opportunity to take his spot (i.e. Porter/Harrison). We haven't had that type of competition for a looooong time. Would be nice to see it again.

Absolutely !!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Did we draft Dri Archer again?

Salute the nation

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
The Steelers obviously had a higher grade on Loudermilk than Roche so the math tells you his grade was at least 3-4 range as well. From some of what I’ve seen of his actual playing he reminded me of Keisel a bit at times.

Roche looks like he has a potential to be that 6th round magic guy

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Watching the Baldy video, on one play he looked like he was at an 80° angle with the turf and recovered. He appears to be extremely difficult to square up on, sheds blocks easily, I'm wondering if this could translate to moving inside if needed.

He kind of reminds me of a former Steeler, Chad Brown. Extremely difficult to block due to athleticism that can't be teached. Gumby was a handful at both inside and outside LB. They are similar in size, testing etc. Just some positive vibes being sent out.