• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rate the OL Level of Need

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest part of draft prep is deciding on the team's needs. What positions need a brand new starter and which ones can get by with no help or just a developmental player. All teams claim they draft best player available, but that's bullshit. Funny how that best player seems to also fit a need.

OL is the hot topic. Steeler fans are used to seeing a good OL that can run the ball. Last year was so bad that it may have given some fans PTSD with regard to the OL.

So how much work do you think the OL needs?

Insurance Fire. Burn it all down. Chukes, Banner and Finney suck. Decastro looks beat. They need 2 OTs and a C in this draft or the season is lost.

Fixer Upper. Chukes or Banner are OK but not both. OL can be good enough only if they draft 1 new starter.

Needs TLC. With a better scheme, the OL as is might play well enough to win but upgrade with a high pick is advisable.

Spring Cleaning. A new scheme will have this OL playing above the line. Upgrade if there's a value but you can wait until later rounds. Draft RB and other needs first.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Big Dot and Decastro are anchors inside, you need one T (ideally LT) and a C, so that would be a high pick and a mid round pick, didn't see this option, call it the 2fer , get 2 tough ******* to complete what we already got

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Big Dot and Decastro are anchors inside, you need one T (ideally LT) and a C, so that would be a high pick and a mid round pick, didn't see this option, call it the 2fer , get 2 tough ******* to complete what we already got
I would say LT and C are both high needs. So I am hoping both come within round 3. But I guess a good C could be found in 4/5 possibly. Depending how it shakes out.

xjx

Reaction score
We need a center and a tackle.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Our only option is a fixer-upper. We're not burning it down because we can't afford to. We absolutely need an immediate starter from Rd. 1 or 2 and another that can at least get some playing time this year so he's ready to start next year. That's really about all we can hope for. That and a better OL coach and better scheme hopefully will help with the guys we do have. DeCastro playing reasonably well is key and injuries will be huge. If we have multiple guys going down for the entire year, our OL will be dead in the water.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Our only option is a fixer-upper. We're not burning it down because we can't afford to. We absolutely need an immediate starter from Rd. 1 or 2 and another that can at least get some playing time this year so he's ready to start next year. That's really about all we can hope for. That and a better OL coach and better scheme hopefully will help with the guys we do have. DeCastro playing reasonably well is key and injuries will be huge. If we have multiple guys going down for the entire year, our OL will be dead in the water.
This is a year they could draft three Olinemen. C and T early and G later. That would help solidify competition and depth.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
We need a Left tackle, Center, Running Back, Blocking tight end. But not in that order.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Surprise surprise,........... MY #1 need is LT then C and TE.

We need a starting LT, no ifs ands or butts. Possible LT 1.24 & RB rnd 2 maybe C rnd 3-5

I know about value and pick so considering that I still hopw we pull the trigger on a left tackle (one falls) 1.24 but value will dictate.

Darishaw (sp) or Jenkins and kick *** attitude, either would be nice and possibly some spicezy

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
we need a LT - Chukes aint gonna cut it there. Neither is Banner.
we need a C just as badly - those we have on roster at C are going to get Ben killed

Chukes can stay at RT.
DeCastro had a down year and is a FA after this year. He's going to ball out for a pay day (somewhere else)
Big Dot is our new LG

that Coward guy can get lost.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Chukes sucks. Keep at swing for this year. Banner can stay right tackle.

We need a LT. And we need a center.

Creed Humphrey in the first. Then a RB or LT in 2 and 3. Im thinking Walker Little or Better.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
Our O-Line, in it's current version, is.............?
Pouncey and Big Al are gone - this is good.
Their replacements are............? Untested/unknowns. Couldn't be worse though, could it?
I always want BPA when drafting, regardless of position. NEVER pass up a blue chip prospect. Always better to have too many than none/too few.
I PRAY, and will continue to, that the BPA for all of our early picks are Oline. I do not care what position on the Oline.
We need upgrades all over the line.
As I've said in previous posts in other threads, awesome stout Olines will make ordinary/average QBs/RBs look like studs.
Our aging beaten down QB and cavalcade of mid round RBs might actually be serviceable behind a stud Oline.
Stud Olines can hide a lot of problems.
If we had three stud rookies start the year, it may be ugly early, but once they gel and get some chemistry, we'd be good to go down the stretch.

A man can dream.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Fixer upper.

Okorafor isn't good. Offers very little in run blocking or pass protection.
Banner has some upside to be good on the ground, but is bad in pass protection.
Finney stinks.

We NEED a starting center and really need a starting LT as well.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Chukes sucks. Keep at swing for this year. Banner can stay right tackle.

We need a LT. And we need a center.

Creed Humphrey in the first. Then a RB or LT in 2 and 3. Im thinking Walker Little or Better.
I could definitely see Humphrey in the 1st, Little, Radunz or Spencer Brown in the 2nd, Trey Sermon in the 3rd.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Fixer upper.

Okorafor isn't good. Offers very little in run blocking or pass protection.
Banner has some upside to be good on the ground, but is bad in pass protection.
Finney stinks.

We NEED a starting center and really need a starting LT as well.

^^^ This, an upgrade at RT would be nice as well. Street level free agents are not going to fix the problem.