• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Ben Roethlisberger Meeting “Went Well”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Reported by Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger met with Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II. According to Dulac’s sources the meeting “went well”. Now the big question is who is the information coming from and what does “went well” mean to them. If the information is from Roethlisberger’s end, I would suggest the Steelers and him are making progress on reducing his huge $41.25M cap hit to return to the Steelers next season. If the source is from the team, then it can really mean anything. Could mean Roethlisberger may not play in the black and gold next year via retirement/release since there hasn’t been a true indication the Steelers want him back or there is progress in reworking his contract to better help the Steelers cap predicament. We continue to be in the same rut since the end of the season when talking about Roethlisberger but there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel that this saga is close to a resolution. Until then we will continue to wait and pick apart every piece of information that comes out.

Ben Roethlisberger met w team president Art Rooney II today and the meeting “went well,” according to sources

— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) February 23, 2021

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't get the drama here at all. He is owed what 21 against the cap if he doesn't play next year and he already has that money in his bank account. They either want him to be the QB next season and they will push what he would be getting if his contract was up and he was a free agent. Rivers got 25 but had to uproot his family. So maybe just gets 20 million more and it is just about how the Steelers want to amortize it. Which is irrelevant to Roethlisberger because the money will be in his pocket as guaranteed money anyhow.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Roethlisberger will be QB next year, and while it is what I personally want.... it doesn't mean it is the best thing for the team in the long run. If he didn't need the running game as much as he did, it might be different story, but they have to run the ball in the top 10 to have a legit chance.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
If Ben wants to win a super bowl (Frankly, why else would he even play), then he should take a couple of million, a few, in guaranteed money to go with his 21 million he will get regardless and play. Allow the team to put all they can into this last team he will lead. He’s made like 500 million-he doesn’t need the money, and no amount of money covers life changing injury so what’s the point in even asking for money IF IT’S REALLY ABOUT WINNING IT ALL.

also, we won’t get bens replacement (assuming he’s not on the team now) unless we draft higher. We will likely have to suck badly in the right year to get our guy the following spring (a la Colts w Luck). No way they ever replace Manning in Indy while Manning was winning and keeping them in the bottom of round one.

Stlrs4Life

Forefather
Reaction score
Just want to see the end of it. Needs to be done soon before the Draft.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Ben is not behind our next rookie Center in 2021, then we'll be putting Haskins or Rudolph in.

which means Tomlin's never having a losing season streak will be in serious jeopardy before the draft.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If Ben wants to win a super bowl (Frankly, why else would he even play), then he should take a couple of million, a few, in guaranteed money to go with his 21 million he will get regardless and play. Allow the team to put all they can into this last team he will lead. He’s made like 500 million-he doesn’t need the money, and no amount of money covers life changing injury so what’s the point in even asking for money IF IT’S REALLY ABOUT WINNING IT ALL.

also, we won’t get bens replacement (assuming he’s not on the team now) unless we draft higher. We will likely have to suck badly in the right year to get our guy the following spring (a la Colts w Luck). No way they ever replace Manning in Indy while Manning was winning and keeping them in the bottom of round one.
If Ben wants a Super Bowl he should ask for his release and sign as a backup to Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes.

ChampYINZ

Reaction score
They wanna go with Rudolph before his contract is up, so they want to see what he got for a year.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Some need to abandon this illusion of a SB with Ben in 2021. Ben simply cannot carry this team on his back any longer like he once could. Last SB win he was able to sustain a high level of play and lead this team to a SB win despite a bad OL but those days are over. Steelers cannot possibly think they have a chance of going to the SB so why bring him back? I say sever ties, take the 19 million savings which with Pouncey and Vance retirements puts you in the black a couple million on the cap. Restructuring Cam, maybe DeCastro and Nelson adds more cap space. Cut Bince, Haden, Ebron and have some decent money to spend.
Sign Cam Sutton and Mike Hilton. Doubt Bud will sign since he thinks he’s worth more than he is so see you later.
Try and sign JuJu but don’t break the bank. He’s a really good slot guy and solid blocker but I don’t break the bank on him. I can find his replacement in the draft or F/A.
I offer Feiler a reasonable contract where I think you can retain him.
I draft in this order; OT, Center, TE in first three rounds.
Sign my RB in F/A, possibly the RB from Packers they are rumored to be interested in, and if he’s released bring back the outlaw Jesse James to team up with TE draft choice.
Turn the starting QB job over to Mason with a full pre season to prepare and taylor the offense to his strengths with an emphasis on the revamped running game. If Mason bombs then our record will follow suit and we get a top 10 pick and get our QB next year.
I like Ben and appreciate all that he’s done for this football team but it’s time and I see no value bringing him back just to have the same results or worse. All we’d be doing is delaying the inevitable.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted Ben back at the same time I want them to draft a QB. I am sure they will work out his contract. It seems that his agent is down with it which goes in line with what Ben said. Get er done.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Btw, if this report about Ben does hold true, doesn't it essentially mean they don't believe Mason is the answer?
No, I think it means the FO thinks BEN is the best option currently as do I. Mason will be the back up and may well be needed this up coming season.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
No, I think it means the FO thinks BEN is the best option currently as do I. Mason will be the back up and may well be needed this up coming season.
Mason is entering the final year of his rookie deal. If they thought he was ready to be the next big thing at QB they would move on. I don't think this is a bad thing.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Mason is entering the final year of his rookie deal. If they thought he was ready to be the next big thing at QB they would move on. I don't think this is a bad thing.
Or they would have extended him but it's early for that yet.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
Some need to abandon this illusion of a SB with Ben in 2021. Ben simply cannot carry this team on his back any longer like he once could. Last SB win he was able to sustain a high level of play and lead this team to a SB win despite a bad OL but those days are over. Steelers cannot possibly think they have a chance of going to the SB so why bring him back? I say sever ties, take the 19 million savings which with Pouncey and Vance retirements puts you in the black a couple million on the cap. Restructuring Cam, maybe DeCastro and Nelson adds more cap space. Cut Bince, Haden, Ebron and have some decent money to spend.
Sign Cam Sutton and Mike Hilton. Doubt Bud will sign since he thinks he’s worth more than he is so see you later.
Try and sign JuJu but don’t break the bank. He’s a really good slot guy and solid blocker but I don’t break the bank on him. I can find his replacement in the draft or F/A.
I offer Feiler a reasonable contract where I think you can retain him.
I draft in this order; OT, Center, TE in first three rounds.
Sign my RB in F/A, possibly the RB from Packers they are rumored to be interested in, and if he’s released bring back the outlaw Jesse James to team up with TE draft choice.
Turn the starting QB job over to Mason with a full pre season to prepare and taylor the offense to his strengths with an emphasis on the revamped running game. If Mason bombs then our record will follow suit and we get a top 10 pick and get our QB next year.
I like Ben and appreciate all that he’s done for this football team but it’s time and I see no value bringing him back just to have the same results or worse. All we’d be doing is delaying the inevitable.
This plan gets us to about 6-7 wins and nowhere near our next Franchise QB in round #1.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
as has been stated elsewhere, the QB crop in the next draft is sparse.

plus, if you really think we're drafting a QB in this draft - or next year - you're not paying attention.

Haskins was signed because he's cheap AND because he has a year to prove he can mature. If he does mature, he's our QB in 2022.

think we'll be players in the FA QB market in 2022? lol.

steelhurt

Reaction score
This plan gets us to about 6-7 wins and nowhere near our next Franchise QB in round #1.
6-7 wins positions us around 12,13 draft position. Much easier to move up into the top half of the draft from there. Sure we swap that position 12,13 along with our #2 and a #2 or even if its a #1 in the next draft to move up to the top 7 or 8. A lot easier to do than trying to move up from say 22 or 23. Hell we grabbed Ben at #11 in the 2004 draft.

steelhurt

Reaction score

plus, if you really think we're drafting a QB in this draft - or next year - you're not paying attention.

Haskins was signed because he's cheap AND because he has a year to prove he can mature. If he does mature, he's our QB in 2022.

Supe, I'm not a Haskins fan and think he needs to do a lot a maturing as you say but I wouldn't count on it. I think our best bet is drafting our QB in 2022 even though you say its been stated that its sparse. I think its much too early to make that call until we get into the college football season.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Supe, I'm not a Haskins fan and think he needs to do a lot a maturing as you say but I wouldn't count on it.
agree with this. I can't think of many players and especially QB's who start with questionable work ethic that suddenly turn it around on another team. Don't get me wrong, I root for all Steeler players to excel and hope Haskins blows the doors off and goes all elite. I am just not putting any money (or even chili beans) on it happening.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I wanted Ben back at the same time I want them to draft a QB. I am sure they will work out his contract. It seems that his agent is down with it which goes in line with what Ben said. Get er done.
Here is the thing Slash. Ben maximizes regular season wins and minimizes first round draft potential. That's why I'd rather ride or die with Rudolph. Either he is a starter and it will be evident (I believe he has a good shot). Or he will crash and burn like most think. If the latter happens they should have a top 15 pick in 2022 with a good chance of getting the guy.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
agree with this. I can't think of many players and especially QB's who start with questionable work ethic that suddenly turn it around on another team. Don't get me wrong, I root for all Steeler players to excel and hope Haskins blows the doors off and goes all elite. I am just not putting any money (or even chili beans) on it happening.

I also hope that for some reason they don't stick with him even if he turns out to be marginal just for the "statis quo" of having a running QB at the helm. Teams are becoming enameled with the RPO QB and I hope if that is the way we go we end up with a legitamite type QB. Should Haskins proves to be that then OK but if he is just the flavor of the day (RPO) then that will set up back as well.

Salute the nation

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I also hope that for some reason they don't stick with him even if he turns out to be marginal just for the "statis quo" of having a running QB at the helm. Teams are becoming enameled with the RPO QB and I hope if that is the way we go we end up with a legitamite type QB. Should Haskins proves to be that then OK but if he is just the flavor of the day (RPO) then that will set up back as well.

Salute the nation
Haskins is incredibly slow, he's not a running QB by any stretch.

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I've been a fan of Ben and what he has meant to this franchise, can't help but feel like we are struggling to pull the band-aid off.

He likely is the best option for 2021 considering who is on the roster but this team is no SB contender with or without Ben right now. His presence on the roster is a false security blanket for a position that has been neglected for too long already. Bring 7 back likely means that Rudolph and Haskins will be the backups and next year we can rinse and repeat this entire cycle all over again. Meanwhile, the defense will be another year older. Hopefully, they can fill some of the many holes we have at O-Line, RB, WR, TE and soon at CB and OLB. That's a lot. Either way, the organization dug their financial hole with Ben for years and now had no good way out to save any cap space for another QB.

I hope I am wrong but I fear 2021 will be a painful season resulting in little more than a farewell tour for Ben Roethlisberger.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

We're going to get a veteran UFA QB next year when we have draft capital to be a care taker or whatever. Then we go back to the draft. No reason to stress about finding a QB in the draft this year. There are always street free agent QBs to be had for a year or two.