• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Ben Roethlisberger’s Agent Says He Is Coming Back

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It seems as if the Almighty question has been answered. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger is coming back for his 18th season, per his agent Ryan Tollner:

Ben Roethlisberger will indeed be back as the #Steelers starting QB this fall. Just connected w/ the two-time Super Bowl winner’s agent, Ryan Tollner, who said this: pic.twitter.com/YnWRWwkbeM

— Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) February 23, 2021

This is huge news as media and fans have been speculating about the franchise quarterback’s future. We will update in coming days/weeks when he and the team crunch the numbers and get his contract situated.

We are happy to hear he is coming back, in pursuit of his third career Super Bowl, and the franchise’s seventh.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Loved his agent's use of words about Ben's contract. He doesn't say Ben is taking a single dime as a cut. They are looking to creatively rearrange his money to help the team. That probably means adding more years and potentially more money and more dead money in future years but we shall see. I do want Ben back if he can play like he did most of this year. He was still shaking the rust off when he hurt this knees.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Well if this story holds up kiss ‘21-‘22 goodbye. Called me when the Colbert-tomlin-bigben kill chain is officially done... it’s been dead for years but Rooney’s being Rooney’s it could go on for years... good golly mz mollie! Ben’s, done, tomlin can’t coach, but steeler fans can just eat **** and like it! geting old. ***!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Everyone needs to remember this isn't prime Ben Roethlisberger and his play in November and December wasn't just Randy Fichtner's play calling. Keep the expectations realistic. This team needs to rebuild the OL, add a running back and a blocking tight end, and they're losing their best receiver.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Well if this story holds up kiss ‘21-‘22 goodbye. Called me when the Colbert-tomlin-bigben kill chain is officially done... it’s been dead for years but Rooney’s being Rooney’s it could go on for years... good golly mz mollie! Ben’s, done, tomlin can’t coach, but steeler fans can just eat **** and like it! geting old. ***!
Spoken like someone spoiled with no clue what 1987 Mark Malone or 1980s draft truly felt like.

Ben coming back is ideally as a compliment to running game. No 60+ passing games. More of the weeks 1-6 expectation.

You want a GM gone who drafted Watt, Schuster, Claypool with trades for Bush & Fitzpatrick in last 3 years????

stay asleep

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
whether Colbert adds a year or does a massive restructure it should be enough to free enough room to get if and when cut 1/2 C Kelce Philly and say Beachum or Rieff and then you can focus on moving up to 20 in the draft to ensure you get Harris, and there are plenty of good young OL that can be had in the mid-rounds to /develop to be ready to start 21/22 (Mayfield, Radunz, Miller) (Myers, Hill Jackson. Humphrey, Clevland.
if we lose JUJU can be replaced via a cheaper option Agholor
Robinson (won't be cheap but cheaper than juju, Marvin Jones, with Vince Williams cap hit at 7 he has to restructure or cut him Spiliane starts but on passing downs is off,
Gilbert plays more coverage, Spillane had a terrible time when Vince was on covid reserve covering te and being a mid 4.7 guy and gilbert a low 4.6.
Would rather see in the nickel only bush dropping rushing 5 dropping 6 with bush playing the derrick brooks role. if so you can cross blitz the other lb next to bush.
Great to finally hear positive news re ben's situATION as we are Armstronged until his deal is redone, I hope by the weekend it is.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Well everyone is entitled to their opinio and I respectfully promote one to express their opinion but What I'm going to say is NOT an opinion but an actual fact

1). I am a STEELERS fan

2). I don't eat ****, maybe CROW occasionally but not ****

Everyone needs to remember this isn't prime Ben Roethlisberger and his play in November and December wasn't just Randy Fichtner's play calling. Keep the expectations realistic. This team needs to rebuild the OL, add a running back and a blocking tight end, and they're losing their best receiver.

I don't think anybody here even remotely thinks BEN is in his prime. I also think many here agree with you on the OL / TE / RB / help needed. JuJu was pretty good but also brought some shade upon himself to a perceived degree. Our current WR Corp's is the one unit that can withstand losing a player due to our great depth at that position. Losing Bud Dupree will be more devastating than losing JuJu.

I like to remind ourselves of some of the positives such as BEN playing hurt (he can heal and be better). We have a new OC / OL coach and assistant / and other new coaching staff that will increase our ability as a team. Add in a couple "draft" pieces along with our already stout "D" and I see us being well improved.

Still rooting here in my little humble home along the river.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think anybody here even remotely thinks BEN is in his prime. I also think many here agree with you on the OL / TE / RB / help needed. JuJu was pretty good but also brought some shade upon himself to a perceived degree. Our current WR Corp's is the one unit that can withstand losing a player due to our great depth at that position. Losing Bud Dupree will be more devastating than losing JuJu.

I like to remind ourselves of some of the positives such as BEN playing hurt (he can heal and be better). We have a new OC / OL coach and assistant / and other new coaching staff that will increase our ability as a team. Add in a couple "draft" pieces along with our already stout "D" and I see us being well improved.
The expectations for this team are very high from some and there is still a lot of talk like this is the same Ben who won Super Bowl 43. He was flat out bad down the stretch. Few will admit to that. I think you're underestimating JuJu. His route combinations last year were utter trash. It's like Fichtner took everything he did well and took it out of the playbook. I also don't see this depth at wide receiver. Diontae is a solid No. 2 when he isn't dropping passes. Claypool had a good rookie year, but has to show he can get even better next year. Who do we have after this? James Washington? He's not a problem for any defense to defend.

I agree about Bud. I think the Steelers system and usage is by far the best for him and I'm not sure any other team in the league will use him as well as the Steelers. I'll bash the coaches for his development, but since they made the change it's worked and it's worked very well. We'll be lucky if Highsmith can come close to matching Dupree's production in year 2. I do believe he can be a good player, but also know it takes these types of prospects upwards of three years.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree on BUD but also would like it noted that Highsmith's should have a great shot at meeting and exceed BUD's second year of production. Bud's current production has been absolutely fabulous and I would find it hard that any rookie coming into his second year is going to top Bud's current production.

BOTTOM line is it's hard when a team is up against the cap and has to cut GREAT players due to cap restraints. I've always felt cap related contracts allowed the teams to wager to far into the future. I think intial contract should be 3 years max and ONLY after two complete seasons can a contract be renogotiated to add another year. I know that has a lot of flaws but I think theNFL contract world needs to step up and be more accountable in writing better contracts.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
It ain't like we're replacing Joe Montana with Steve Young or Brett Favre with Aaron Rogers. We don't have a better QB to replace him with.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers fall into this trap of loyalty vs. business. They keep great players and fan favorites past their peak and as the play declines, the cap hit matches what the player was, not what the player is. It's now coming at the expense of younger players who they should be keeping. They need to extend young players in the final year of their deal. It typically keeps the cost down because it prevents against another year of good production and UFA before they negotiate something long term.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Good now let's run the fn ball next year. Ain't nobody winning **** throwing it a million times a game with zero running game.

So OL, a RB and

We could use an extra Watt of power on defense. Which is my other fan dream that won't come true..lol.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
I think some of us have trouble letting go. Me, you, the Rooneys, basically anyone attached to the Steelers in general.
My wife couldn't let go of our cat so we artificially propped it up with drugs and IVs of saline for over a year.
It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.
And now I feel like I'm reliving that feeling ALL over again.
We get attached to players for what they did for the team.....and rightfully so.
But we have to be realistic about it.
I'm seeing "those comments" that are regurgitated when someone's past their prime playing out right now right before my eyes.
"He wants one more shot." "He doesn't like the way the season ended." "He didn't think he could throw again."
Ben is NOT 25 years old. His body isn't healing as quick as it did. His body has been battered and bruised over the years. It takes a toll. We've seen this toll.
His long ball is gone. His pocket presence/ability to shake tacklers is a shell of its former self.
Even the rare instances he had time this year, his accuracy wasn't there and his decision making was confusing.
YES, I know our line was beyond awful, our WRs dropped balls, and we had no run game. I know all these things and I concede them in any argument.
But none of those things change what we saw from Ben and his physical abilities.
He's not getting younger. He's never been an off-season warrior. And his arm will not get stronger.

It's time. As sad as it is to admit. It's time.
With Tomlin and our current coaching staff, our cap situation, our soon to be FAs, and now this?
It will NOT be a fun season, kids.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
With Ben Back, we need to spend everything we can on the best running back we can get along with the best offense line for the run we can get. via draft or free agency.

Think Jon Elways last 2 years. or really Bens 1st 2 years. Strong Defense, running game and pass when you can.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
With Ben Back, we need to spend everything we can on the best running back we can get along with the best offense line for the run we can get. via draft or free agency.

Think Jon Elways last 2 years. or really Bens 1st 2 years. Strong Defense, running game and pass when you can.
And Ben needs to train his *** off this off-season. Put the work in. Guy isn't washed up by any means, but he certainly isn't going to get by not putting that physical work into his body at this age. If he does, then he can really turn back the clock a few years.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
Is Claypool leaving??!!!?

6Lombardis

Reaction score
I think some of us have trouble letting go. Me, you, the Rooneys, basically anyone attached to the Steelers in general.
My wife couldn't let go of our cat so we artificially propped it up with drugs and IVs of saline for over a year.
It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.
And now I feel like I'm reliving that feeling ALL over again.
We get attached to players for what they did for the team.....and rightfully so.
But we have to be realistic about it.
I'm seeing "those comments" that are regurgitated when someone's past their prime playing out right now right before my eyes.
"He wants one more shot." "He doesn't like the way the season ended." "He didn't think he could throw again."
Ben is NOT 25 years old. His body isn't healing as quick as it did. His body has been battered and bruised over the years. It takes a toll. We've seen this toll.
His long ball is gone. His pocket presence/ability to shake tacklers is a shell of its former self.
Even the rare instances he had time this year, his accuracy wasn't there and his decision making was confusing.
YES, I know our line was beyond awful, our WRs dropped balls, and we had no run game. I know all these things and I concede them in any argument.
But none of those things change what we saw from Ben and his physical abilities.
He's not getting younger. He's never been an off-season warrior. And his arm will not get stronger.

It's time. As sad as it is to admit. It's time.
With Tomlin and our current coaching staff, our cap situation, our soon to be FAs, and now this?
It will NOT be a fun season, kids.
1. Are you really comparing Ben to a dying cat?
2. Ben made PLENTY of strong throws this year.
3. The super bowl was just won by a man 4 years older than Ben, so Ben should just give up and quit?
4. Ben won SB XVI not by throwing it all over the place, but with a complete team.
5. We just went 11-5 with a really Flukey loss to Cleveland with **** you can’t even make up.
6. Ben cannot win like he did in 2008 behind a ****** line, so we fix that and we can win with Ben.
7. Ben has done nothing to deserve getting kicked to the curb. He was not horrible. Wentz was horrible. Darnold was horrible.
8. Ben had new arm, injuries, no off season. Cannot measure the impact of those things. The last lost began on the first snap of the game.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Is Claypool leaving??!!!?
No, but he's still behind DJ.

That's asking a lot for one offseason.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
1. Are you really comparing Ben to a dying cat?
2. Ben made PLENTY of strong throws this year.
3. The super bowl was just won by a man 4 years older than Ben, so Ben should just give up and quit?
4. Ben won SB XVI not by throwing it all over the place, but with a complete team.
5. We just went 11-5 with a really Flukey loss to Cleveland with **** you can’t even make up.
6. Ben cannot win like he did in 2008 behind a ****** line, so we fix that and we can win with Ben.
7. Ben has done nothing to deserve getting kicked to the curb. He was not horrible. Wentz was horrible. Darnold was horrible.
8. Ben had new arm, injuries, no off season. Cannot measure the impact of those things. The last lost began on the first snap of the game.
I think this is the point he was making. I'll be thrilled to watch Ben play one more year...if he can play anywhere like he did for the first part of the season. If we get December Ben at any length of time, it's going to be sad to watch.

2. Ben made some great throws. Now how about the bad ones. He had one of the worst deep ball percentages in the league last year (it may have been the worst). He had trouble completing short passes late in the season as well.

3. Tom Brady is in his own league when it comes to dedication to winning and it's not even close. Beyond that, he is all about his diet and conditioning. It also doesn't hurt that Tampa has a really good roster. The Steelers don't a have a receiver that would crack their top 3 and Ebron would not get on the field.

6. When's the last time the Steelers won a playoff game? How do we fix an offensive line that needs a starter at LT, C, and an upgrade at RT in one offseason?

This team isn't a serious contender next year with or without Ben.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Ben deserves to finish his career here and on his own terms. He's earned it. Can't really imagine any other future Hall of Famer who has spent their entire career in the Black and Gold have this much push from fans to run them out of town because they are in the twighlight of their career. It's kinda grotesque actually. Hines Ward could barely run his last couple years and everyone seemed on board with letting him play out the rest of his career here. I understand QB is a different animal but geez.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben deserves to finish his career here and on his own terms. He's earned it. Can't really imagine any other future Hall of Famer who has spent their entire career in the Black and Gold have this much push from fans to run them out of town because they are in the twighlight of their career. It's kinda grotesque actually. Hines Ward could barely run his last couple years and everyone seemed on board with letting him play out the rest of his career here. I understand QB is a different animal but geez.
I want to be clear I’m on board with this thought. What I hope we don’t see is a broken down version of Ben for most of the season. His career was too good to watch him struggle.

Regardless of Ben or another QB, I just don’t have high expectations for this team next year. They’re losing a lot and have too many holes to replace on offense without enough playmakers. The talk of the Steelers contending and Ben having a storybook title to end his career...Injust think those are very unrealistic expectations.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score

I agree. We have the D, fix the oline/running game situation. Ben is every bit as good as Elway was at that stage in his career.