• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report – Steelers Interested in Aaron Jones

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Super Bowl hasn’t been played yet but the offseason rumor mill is already starting. It is reported that the*Pittsburgh Steelers*are one of four teams interested in Green Bay Packers free agent running back*Aaron Jones*this offseason. This should come as no surprise as the Steelers are looking to reignite their running game that was the […]

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Good job Stiffler, thanks.

This is one rumor mill that I hopoe could be true. Can't wait to see the cap manipulation to make this possible.

Salute the nation

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Speculate all you want...but until the cap number is announced...we don't know **** that'll happen.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting but see no way we can afford a top-tier FA. I'd still be looking at Harris or Etienne in Rd. 1 unless a can't miss OT fell to us.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Speculate all you want...but until the cap number is announced...we don't know **** that'll happen.

this is true, but there is no reason we can't talk about the possibility/rumor. That is why we are on a message board. That said, even if cap comes in at a huge increase, it would be unlikely Steelers would invest the kind of money AJ may well draw given all of our needs. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have that talent in house. Just don't see PIT spending that kind of cash at that position. I would be happy to be wrong and the team pull in this kind of backfield talent.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
this is true, but there is no reason we can't talk about the possibility/rumor. That is why we are on a message board. That said, even if cap comes in at a huge increase, it would be unlikely Steelers would invest the kind of money AJ may well draw given all of our needs. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have that talent in house. Just don't see PIT spending that kind of cash at that position. I would be happy to be wrong and the team pull in this kind of backfield talent.

I was referring to the article, Hoot.

Of course we can discuss the possibilities...I just think media speculation is clickbait at this point.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Would love to have Jones on the team, but wouldn't he figure to be one of the top backs on the market? I wouldn't expect that his deal would be completely out of line, I'd rather find OL help and a legit TE2.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I was listening to The Drive on Steeler Nation Radio today on my bike ride. They mused that the Saints are in talks with Winston if Brees retires...the Saints are $100 million over the cap, lol.

We are 30mil or so over, right? We're losing our minds but the Saints are like, "eh...no biggie".

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that the lowered cap means lower priced markets for some of the FAs this year. RB is always a depressed market because they are easily replaced (everywhere but Pittsburgh it seems). So, Jones may not command as much as we think he will.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that the lowered cap means lower priced markets for some of the FAs this year. RB is always a depressed market because they are easily replaced (everywhere but Pittsburgh it seems). So, Jones may not command as much as we think he will.

I expect the top FA's to still draw higher dollars. Not everyone is cap strapped even if the cap goes down. IIRC, about half the teams are below cap and in decent shape.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I expect the top FA's to still draw higher dollars. Not everyone is cap strapped even if the cap goes down. IIRC, about half the teams are below cap and in decent shape.

Your right, he's gonna get paid. From recent reports the cap is going to be higher than most think but that's a double edged sword because everyone has extra cash. The players union isn't buying a 175 million cap, no way.

I love the speculation of adding Jones, it kills two birds by eliminating a pick on Thursday or Friday and we know what we're getting. I realize though that resigning a corner and Watt is their first priority.

mdk2

Reaction score
Yeah... I'll give this a solid .00000001% chance of happening.
It's not our style to pick up a top flight back in FA anyhow, plus we don't have enough money to keep our own guys let alone sign a big name.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I was listening to The Drive on Steeler Nation Radio today on my bike ride. They mused that the Saints are in talks with Winston if Brees retires...the Saints are $100 million over the cap, lol.

We are 30mil or so over, right? We're losing our minds but the Saints are like, "eh...no biggie".

Heard Brees restructuring for another year.........sorry Jameis

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
If they do find a way to spend some money in FA, I'd rather it go towards the OL.

Jones would be a waste of money having to dodge defenders three yards in the backfield.
Exactly they should double down on the Oline. If they want any chance of doing anything with Ben it starts there.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Getting BEN's contract re-worked or cut will be a BIG step towards knowing where we are standing as far as cap terms & QB. I'm confident the STEELERS and Ben will get a deal done allowing more cap space.

I highly doubt Arron Jone's (RB) is in our future.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't he come with some injury concerns or am I thinking about someone else? We can get a good back in the draft if you are going to bring in a starter it better be a T or G. On a lesser note I hear Feiler might return. Hopefully that is only as a backup T.
Getting BEN's contract re-worked or cut will be a BIG step towards knowing where we are standing as far as cap terms & QB. I'm confident the STEELERS and Ben will get a deal done allowing more cap space.

I highly doubt Arron Jone's (RB) is in our future.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't he come with some injury concerns or am I thinking about someone else? We can get a good back in the draft if you are going to bring in a starter it better be a T or G. On a lesser note I hear Feiler might return. Hopefully that is only as a backup T.

I'm not advocating for Arron Jone's and don't know his injury history but we currently have a "injury" prone starting RB and am NOT wanting another similar RB of that nature.

I'm for in the draft because Arron Jone's will be a little over priced and draft rookie contracts are more affordable. RB seems to be one of the easiest draft skill positions to draft successfully.

We can't pay a FA RB only to cut a big name to do so.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Heard Brees restructuring for another year.........sorry Jameis

The Saints brought Brees’ base salary from $25 million to the league minimum next year to save about $24 million in the cap. This is what cap experts believed would happen as a precursor to his retirement to help the team get under the cap.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints brought Brees’ base salary from $25 million to the league minimum next year to save about $24 million in the cap. This is what cap experts believed would happen as a precursor to his retirement to help the team get under the cap.

I Beleive Roethlessberger's "vet" minimum is near $4.2 million, I can't see Bees' being much less than that. I'm guessing BEN does something similar. The crying Karen's think BEN is out to "Jack" the team are wrong in my opinion. Ben will do what's needed.

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
I think even with restructures possible Vince Williams cut and maybe a Haden pay cut, it just helps to either keep juju or make a pitch for Bud if he wants to get paid is replaced by JJ who I am sure we will try to squeeze out whatever JJ will cost for 1-2 years out of TJ supermax.
as for Banner to bring him back cheap coming off a torn ACL to play RT i let Fielier despite versatility he was a lousy LG unless you want to try to convert him to C. I rather if pouncey is retired for sure find a vet patch up like Wis until the guy draft in rnd 3-4 is ready to start.