• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT: Steelers plan to promote Teryl Austin to Defensive Coordinator

Slovan Sam

Reaction score
Any coach working for MT has to be a yes man. Butler practically said that was all he was.

Yep. I felt bad for Keith when I read his interview. I was shocked that the dipshit actually took over play calling when we still had Dick. You just know that there was some **** being uttered under his breath.

Dick: "What a stupid sonofabi..."

MT: What's that?!?!

Dick: Err, eh, nothing, sir.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
One thing people should realize is that the Steelers way has always been to train internally and promote from within if you can… but a lot of times they brought in a guy who they planned to eventually be elevated at a later time

Cowher had six OC’s
Cowher’s first OC was erhardt, but they brought in Gailey as wr coach with the expectation he’d eventually take over at oc

Cowher hired two external Ocs besides erhardt… Ray Sherman, who was out after one season, and kevin Gilbride, who lasted two… both were square pegs for a round hole hires… neither fit well despite being good coaches.

Afterwards he promoted a couple TE coaches, mularkey and Whiz…

The issue isn’t promoting from within…that’s often a great idea, but its getting good assistants lined up in the first place that’s the problem …

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
We have a ton of money let's see if Banner and Joe are cut to have more a good chunk goes to Minkah, hopefully, you can get a starting caliber slot CB,resign Weatherspoon, Adams and add 2-3 quality DL. I would try extend Schobert 2 years to bring his cap number down.
if juju leaves target a good vet WR, upgrade depth on the DL. I want to see if we didn't have castoffs on the DL and you could say at CB, Desir was overhyped Maulet nothing special, Layne looks like a bust. what the D would of been I can we would of not tied vs Detriot or lost vs Minnesota and perhaps not vs Chargers.
Basically what I am saying is if tuitt is back with Tyson and some more depth is added on the DL that allows Cam to get more breathers so he is not playing gassed out and we have better talent in the secondary I think if Mt still calling the plays the D will be better. What I want to see is more formation adjustments

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing people should realize is that the Steelers way has always been to train internally and promote from within if you can… but a lot of times they brought in a guy who they planned to eventually be elevated at a later time

Cowher had six OC’s
Cowher’s first OC was erhardt, but they brought in Gailey as wr coach with the expectation he’d eventually take over at oc

Cowher hired two external Ocs besides erhardt… Ray Sherman, who was out after one season, and kevin Gilbride, who lasted two… both were square pegs for a round hole hires… neither fit well despite being good coaches.

The issue isn’t promoting from within…that’s often a great idea, but its getting good assistants lined up in the first place that’s the problem …
It also doesn't hurt if you actually give your coaches some power and control and allow them to learn and grow.

Or, you could just give them a "Steelers" sweater, hand them a dead headset and tell them all they need to do is pace up and down the sideline on Sundays.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
It also doesn't hurt if you actually give your coaches some power and control and allow them to learn and grow.

Or, you could just give them a "Steelers" sweater, hand them a dead headset and tell them all they need to do is pace up and down the sideline on Sundays.
I in no way endorse Tomlin calling plays. Head coaches should not call plays… it detracts from everything else they need to do

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Cowher had six OC’s

This is it right here. Green Bay is in process of making internal promotions, including promoting their OL coach to OC. As you said, I'm fine with internal promotions if they're qualified. I understand the Shaun Sarrett hire given the time he spent with Munchak. I am fine with going with Hunt or Khan or a with both guys getting promoted. However, these one-year assistants with minimal NFL experience getting thrust into big roles isn't idea.