• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT: Steelers plan to promote Teryl Austin to Defensive Coordinator

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
What exactly has Austin done to earn this job?
Unlike Fichtner, Canada, and Klemm, Austin at least has some NFL experience as a DC. The Steelers hired him as a senior defensive assistant/secondary coach with two of his focus points being on helping with replay reviews (eh) and placing an emphasis on creating turnovers by the secondary (overall pretty good).

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
Who else is tired of promoting from within? Raise your hand.
I’m more tired of the Cheerleader hiring incompetent and unqualified flunkies that quickly prove to be a complete and total joke. But then again, we’re talking about a “HC” that was given his job based on criteria that didn’t consist of proven skills or talent.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m more tired of the Cheerleader hiring incompetent and unqualified flunkies that quickly prove to be a complete and total joke. But then again, we’re talking about a “HC” that was given his job based on criteria that didn’t consist of proven skills or talent.
Why was he given the job Bobby? Do tell.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Makes zero sense. What is it the Steelers cannot see the game today and find some fresh eyes .

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
does it really matter, Tomlin is going to call what he wants anyways.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Butler confirms what we all already knew (from the PG). No one is going to come here when Tomlin will still be calling all the plays.

“I would have liked to do them myself, sure I would,” Butler said. “I think everybody would. But Mike’s the head coach. He can do what he wants to do.”

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Butler confirms what we all already knew (from the PG). No one is going to come here when Tomlin will still be calling all the plays.

“I would have liked to do them myself, sure I would,” Butler said. “I think everybody would. But Mike’s the head coach. He can do what he wants to do.”
then they might as well promote Austin. Actually, don't hire a DC. There's no need for one. A good one, at least.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
then they might as well promote Austin. Actually, don't hire a DC. There's no need for one. A good one, at least.
It is two fold. Butler still taught well so that is always a need. You could see the difference between him and Porter. So coaching up is always a need but futile if you have a Jack er Mike in the box popping up with a ****** scheme and play calling.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
I found this more than interesting. The benglas are obviously shaking in their boots.

Edit: I didn't realize this had already been linked.

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Anyway, of all of the issues I have with Tomlin, calling the defense may be the least of them. They play a style that is get after the QB and force turnovers and they're willing to sacrifice big plays on the ground and through the air. It's not the LeBeau defense of old where they played fundamental defense focused on stopping the run and preventing the big play.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Anyway, of all of the issues I have with Tomlin, calling the defense may be the least of them. They play a style that is get after the QB and force turnovers and they're willing to sacrifice big plays on the ground and through the air. It's not the LeBeau defense of old where they played fundamental defense focused on stopping the run and preventing the big play.

Too many blowout uncompetitive games for me. I have no desire to see him calling the defense moving forward.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Too many blowout uncompetitive games for me. I have no desire to see him calling the defense moving forward.
100% agree. They may get a bunch of sacks but other than that, they have progressively gotten worse under Tomlin and his play calling. Way too many miscommunications and the big plays which go directly back to Tomlin and no one else.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
100% agree. They may get a bunch of sacks but other than that, they have progressively gotten worse under Tomlin and his play calling. Way too many miscommunications and the big plays which go directly back to Tomlin and no one else.

Yep. I can GUARANTEE you that during the broadcast of a Steelers game, you will hear the following words or phrases at least once, probably more, regarding the Steelers defense:
  • Miscommunication
  • Wide open
  • Gashed
  • Chunk play

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
What exactly has Austin done to earn this job?
About as much as Tomlin did when he got his job. One year as a DC with mediocre results is apparently the ticket.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
No ****, a yes man to Tomlin who has already been here.

xjx

Reaction score
Perhaps a Facebook group will petition Rooney to change the name of the team to the Yes Men.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In other news, on the medical front, the Steelers physicians have confirmed that Austin is indeed mute. When asked about how this may effect his ability to perform the duties of the DC, Steelers brass just laughed.

GILBERT

Reaction score
Just a little confused Steeler Nation. You put out a report saying they intend to promote Austin. Then have two other reports for requesting interviews.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Just a little confused Steeler Nation. You put out a report saying they intend to promote Austin. Then have two other reports for requesting interviews.
Last year it was reported the Steelers would promote Matt Canada to OC. They later interviewed Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton (maybe another candidate or two) and still promoted Canada.

Slovan Sam

Reaction score
The Steelers’ coaching staff under Mike Tomlin used to be dotted with name assistants like Bruce Arians, Dick LeBeau and Mike Munchak.

Now it’s populated by comparative no-names at picayune salaries. It’s the lowest-paid coaching staff in the NFL.

The offensive coordinator’s job went from Arians to Todd Haley to Randy Fichtner to Matt Canada. Each was a decline in pedigree and performance.

The offensive line job went from Munchak to his assistant to the assistant’s assistant to the assistant’s assistant’s assistant. That’s not a coaching tree, it’s a human centipede.

When Kevin Colbert retires after the upcoming draft, the GM’s job will likely go to Brandon Hunt, the team’s pro scouting coordinator. He has no resume beyond the Steelers save three years as a scout with Houston. He interned with the Steelers straight out of IUP.

Most jobs are filled in-house and usually appear to be a step down. Things don’t fall apart, but they don’t get better. (Except on the offensive line: That fell apart.)

Tomlin is the head coach.

He’s also the de facto defensive coordinator, usurping even the legendary LeBeau’s decision-making near the end of LeBeau’s tenure. He did the same to just-retired Keith Butler.

Tomlin has final say on personnel.

His staff keeps getting cheaper and shakier.

A weak staff means Tomlin is always the smartest guy in the room. It seems calculated.

It’s all Tomlin, all the time. He’s a megalomaniac.

Are the Steelers doing well enough to justify that?

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Any coach working for MT has to be a yes man. Butler practically said that was all he was.