• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Reportedly Trading For Jacksonville Linebacker Joe Schobert

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a always liked Schobert and was hoping last year that we made a run at him in free agency. Afyer seeing what he received from the Jags I knew we couldn't match that offer considering the cap space issues at the time. I have a hard time wrapping my head around a late round pick for a guy in his prime with that kind of production with no injury history.

Wondering if we're including a player, maybe Washington is on his way out and waiting to confirm deal until physical is complete due to right leg issue.

deljzc

Reaction score
Seems like a good trade to me. If Jacksonville is picking up any of the contract, it will be part of this season's guaranteed money, which would lower his cap hit on the book for 2021.

After this season, we either renegotiate his contract into a pro-rated bonus (which would lower his cap him immensely) or release him.

And remember, the cap is likely to go up ALOT next year without Covid issues AND there is high likelihood Roethlisberger hangs it up.

I mean, it is not out of the question we get him for 2 years and his cap hit would look like $5 million/$3.5 million/$2.3 million (dead money)/$2.3 million (dead money). Those are really manageable figures when you are working with a $200 million budget. And if he performs really, really, well, there are a ton of options to give him another long term contract after this year and pro-rate a big signing bonus in a 4 or 5-year contract.

Tons of options when you get players in trades and dump all their existing dead money onto their old teams.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Could this be why the deal is held up with Watt, They had to make some moves first before committing to him.
Maybe. Or that large contract is just a difficult structure do to cap restraints and guaranteed money.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Jags should be picking up his signing bonus. That should be good enough. They already paid that so all we need to do is pay his yearly salary.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't happy with what Colbert did to address the OL as a whole this offseason, but he made some shrewd moves with Turner, Ingram, and now Schobert. Not bad given the cap situation. Still needs to get that Watt deal done.
I'd like to see Watt get done this week so he can at least get a full week of practice in. Plus, I want to see what they pony up. It will be telling on how they do business moving forward with Minkah and potentially one or two others currently on the roster.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I have a always liked Schobert and was hoping last year that we made a run at him in free agency. Afyer seeing what he received from the Jags I knew we couldn't match that offer considering the cap space issues at the time. I have a hard time wrapping my head around a late round pick for a guy in his prime with that kind of production with no injury history.

Wondering if we're including a player, maybe Washington is on his way out and waiting to confirm deal until physical is complete due to right leg issue.
This is what I'm taking from this deal. The Jags got themselves in a terrible situation with the contract. The player is good to very good and reliable but they paid for great. The Steelers are taking on the contract thinking (but not knowing) they will have room next year because it depends if Ben plays.
Though I think it is a solid move and they should have one of the best LB groups in the league I have two concerns.
1. Watts new contract will have to lower this year's cap hit ( which will be difficult if not impossible considering the guaranteed money he will get).
2. Though I think getting an offensive lineman this way would have been priority one I just don't think another team makes a trade with a starting olineman. However the Steelers look real thin at Corner to me.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
The game is always changing one year offenses are throwing deep The next it’s the short game some years it’s no running game others it’s all run… to win our division you must stop the run… if you’re going to play two ends as tackles better to have a tackling machine like Schobert behind them, I like our linebackers but they are light in the pants… some years a player like schobert are valued some years not. Playing next to an old teammate watt will be awesome

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
They are going to have to restructure probably two contracts to make this work. Maybe one if it's big but we always have to remember. Restructuring means remortgaging and has implications. They are currently under 13 million under the cap Schobert eats up 7 million of that. So under 6 left. TJ was set to make 10million this season. The comparable contract is Bosa who got 15 million in year one of a 5 year extension. I would say Watt is probably at minimum 17 this year. So the 7 million extra gets you at Cap limit. Slightly over.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I guy with this numbers is a guy you pick up if you can, no matter what.

Yep. Could have a James Farrior-type effect.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
They are going to have to restructure probably two contracts to make this work. Maybe one if it's big but we always have to remember. Restructuring means remortgaging and has implications. They are currently under 13 million under the cap Schobert eats up 7 million of that. So under 6 left. TJ was set to make 10million this season. The comparable contract is Bosa who got 15 million in year one of a 5 year extension. I would say Watt is probably at minimum 17 this year. So the 7 million extra gets you at Cap limit. Slightly over.
Sask, I love you man, but the cap doesn't work that way. Schobert only costs $7M which is reflected on the cap at Spotrac and we're still $6M under. JAX is picking up some of this salary, we don't know how much yet, that is probably what is being worked out to determine the value of what pick they get.

Watt is $10M. Any contract he gets will be lower than $10M this year. We will actually create cap space this season by signing Watt to a long term contract. $30M signing bonus over 5yrs is $6M/season and $4M in extra cap space. Probably closer to $3M with a $1M salary for this season, but Steelers will try to do league minimum.

This is an excellent signing for Pit no matter how you slice it. I agree @Steelworth this is like the Farrior pickup, but maybe not just acquiring a great talent. It's the Steelers ability to utilize him affectively in this system, and the big plus is, he doesn't have to be the guy on D. He was the best player on that JAX D that was dumping talented players last year. Now he's just a guy on this team. Probably the 7th best player on D and 3rd best LB before playing a down. All that extra talent will elevate his game so he might jump in the rankings, but if he just makes plays, this D is going to be sick.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Farrior was one of the most significant free agents we ever picked up for our defense. Greatly underrated, but he was noticeably missed when gone. I would love to get my Farrior jersey signed by him.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Sask, I love you man, but the cap doesn't work that way. Schobert only costs $7M which is reflected on the cap at Spotrac and we're still $6M under. JAX is picking up some of this salary, we don't know how much yet, that is probably what is being worked out to determine the value of what pick they get.

Watt is $10M. Any contract he gets will be lower than $10M this year. We will actually create cap space this season by signing Watt to a long term contract. $30M signing bonus over 5yrs is $6M/season and $4M in extra cap space. Probably closer to $3M with a $1M salary for this season, but Steelers will try to do league minimum.

This is an excellent signing for Pit no matter how you slice it. I agree @Steelworth this is like the Farrior pickup, but maybe not just acquiring a great talent. It's the Steelers ability to utilize him affectively in this system, and the big plus is, he doesn't have to be the guy on D. He was the best player on that JAX D that was dumping talented players last year. Now he's just a guy on this team. Probably the 7th best player on D and 3rd best LB before playing a down. All that extra talent will elevate his game so he might jump in the rankings, but if he just makes plays, this D is going to be sick.
And I enjoy your viewpoints. Love is a strong word. Bosa got 78 million guarenteed on a five year deal. That is over 15 per season you cannot jig. Watt gets at least that and there is absolutely no way his cap hit reduces this season. There will be a ton of guarenteed cash in this contract and that is a simple math problem. Amount of guarenteed divided by years of contract.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Schobert has 7 Ints the last 2 yrs. In passing situations would he overtake Bush? In my opinion Scobert looks to be a #1 and I would move Bush to #2.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think cap wise they fine. As you say 6 mill space after Schobert comes aboard. You have TJ 10 mill. No reason it cant get done.

Yep. Signing Watt will create space. The only thing I see holding up signing Watt long term is how much the guarantees will be. The Rooney's are going to have to pay out more than they ever have......we will see if it gets done.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You guys are living on fantasy island. The Steelers are 12 and change under. Schobert costs 7. So now to be generous you are 6 under. TJ Watt and Joey Bosa have the exact same stats within 20 tackles and 5 sacks and have played the same amount of games. Watt is getting Bosa plus let's say to be conservative 5 percent for the current price of rice. That will be roughly 78 million fully guaranteed divided by 5 which is 15 and change. He was on the books for 10. So that is 5 more this year but has to get a base too. But for ***** and gigs let's say it is just 15 period. Schobert's 7 and Watt's 5 equals 12. Which puts them at the cap limit without taking into account injuries and promoting players from practice squads which by Colbert's own words costs around 4-5m or more I believe. They are 100 percent going to have to rework contracts to make this work. Do the math yourselves.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't seen much in the way of details yet. What did we give up and how much will he cost?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
7 this year he would be about 10 next year and for the next two after that. But I do not know if they would pay him that. He is a no charge cut after this season. They would probably re-work it next year into guarenteed money if he isn't a one year rental. It was stated by someone that the compensation isn't day one or two draft. Hard to imagine a team like the Jags wanting to get rid of a guy like this that badly other than they think they badly over paid.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Schobert has 7 Ints the last 2 yrs. In passing situations would he overtake Bush? In my opinion Scobert looks to be a #1 and I would move Bush to #2.

If they're in the dime, maybe. They're going to both be on the field at same time otherwise. Bush is (by all accounts) apparently a great communicator and knows all the schemes and how adjust the calls, so he'll likely stay the Mike LB. Since Schobert excels in pass protection, he'll likely be designated more of the Will LB in the formation.

Bush still has serious growing pains to go through in coverage, but with his speed, they're going to continue to put him through them IMO. Just hope those growing pains are quick ones.

Even though it's everywhere else, have the Steelers even officially announced the signing? They're probably still working out the $ terms.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
If they're in the dime, maybe. They're going to both be on the field at same time otherwise. Bush is (by all accounts) apparently a great communicator and knows all the schemes and how adjust the calls, so he'll likely stay the Mike LB. Since Schobert excels in pass protection, he'll likely be designated more of the Will LB in the formation.

Bush still has serious growing pains to go through in coverage, but with his speed, they're going to continue to put him through them IMO. Just hope those growing pains are quick ones.

Even though it's everywhere else, have the Steelers even officially announced the signing? They're probably still working out the $ terms.
Speaking of those 7 INTs

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
And I enjoy your viewpoints. Love is a strong word. Bosa got 78 million guarenteed on a five year deal. That is over 15 per season you cannot jig. Watt gets at least that and there is absolutely no way his cap hit reduces this season. There will be a ton of guarenteed cash in this contract and that is a simple math problem. Amount of guarenteed divided by years of contract.
The math, for Watt's cap value to go up this year, his signing bonus must be over $50M. Guaranteed money is still payed out over multiple seasons, and the way we do contracts, there is no way we will take a hit year 1. It's just not Omar's way.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys are living on fantasy island. The Steelers are 12 and change under. Schobert costs 7. So now to be generous you are 6 under. TJ Watt and Joey Bosa have the exact same stats within 20 tackles and 5 sacks and have played the same amount of games. Watt is getting Bosa plus let's say to be conservative 5 percent for the current price of rice. That will be roughly 78 million fully guaranteed divided by 5 which is 15 and change. He was on the books for 10. So that is 5 more this year but has to get a base too. But for ***** and gigs let's say it is just 15 period. Schobert's 7 and Watt's 5 equals 12. Which puts them at the cap limit without taking into account injuries and promoting players from practice squads which by Colbert's own words costs around 4-5m or more I believe. They are 100 percent going to have to rework contracts to make this work. Do the math yourselves.
I've been crunching the cap for 10 years, and no site is better than Spotrac. Hell they already have Joe the Show on there now!

Steelz

Reaction score
Could this be why the deal is held up with Watt, They had to make some moves first before committing to him.
I'm almost starting to think they plan to let Watt play out his contract then franchise tag him like they did Dupree. I don't think they feel the need to have the highest paid LB in the NFL and we for the most part plug and play whoever we put out there at OLB and they turn out to be pretty good. The backups aren't looking too bad right now either and might not be too much of a drop off just letting him go in a couple years . I wouldn't be surprised if it played out like this.

Last edited:

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully the hole is plugged now