• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report – TJ Watt Ended Negotiations By Accepting Deal in Art Rooney’s Office

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The best news this off-season is that TJ Watt is staying in Pittsburgh for at least five more seasons. That’s because he agreed to a contract today to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.

But the story just got even better.

Steelers’ OLB T.J. Watt overruled his agents who believed they could get more money today, marched into the office of Steelers president Art Rooney and told him they had a deal. Then the NFL’s new highest-paid defensive player excused himself and announced he had to go work out.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 9, 2021

Now if this story is indeed true it’s just INCREDIBLE. That’s it. There isn’t anything else to say about it.

I’m just going to sit here and smile knowing that this guy, this amazing man represents our team. Congratulations TJ. Well deserved.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
This is the very reason why the Steelers made him highest paid defensive player in history.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Justin

I don't doubt this being true as it says a lot not just about TJ but also about Art 2

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. He got paid the highest amount ever and was trying to get more. And he gets praise because he apparently decided that what was being offered was enough. You know. The highest amount ever. And somehow this is a feel good story.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. He got paid the highest amount ever and was trying to get more. And he gets praise because he apparently decided that what was being offered was enough. You know. The highest amount ever. And somehow this is a feel good story.
He is locked up that makes me feel good.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
It's really insane that this is what you take out of it. The dude deserves every penny. He left more money on the table potentially. The fact he said no more and went into Arts office and took what was on the table is fantastic.

Disclaimer*
No player is worth as much as they make, but this is what it is.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
It's really insane that this is what you take out of it. The dude deserves every penny. He left more money on the table potentially. The fact he said no more and went into Arts office and took what was on the table is fantastic.

Disclaimer*
Sorry I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling inside because Watt might have taken less after being offered a record contract.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Did TJ Watt bang your sister?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Did TJ Watt bang your sister?
Just Steeler Nation MO. They will turn on you in an instant and never look back. Just look at how quickly Juju was turned on, there's still people in our fan base that hate him...

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Just Steeler Nation MO. They will turn on you in an instant and never look back. Just look at how quickly Juju was turned on, there's still people in our fan base that hate him...
Love Watt the player. I just would have used the 3 years of control still in my pocket as leverage. The Steelers decided not to. Simple as that. We get Watt two extra years at $80 dollars.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I find this to be an odd take because anyone negotiating a contract is going to try to maximize their income. I don't negotiate myself, but our last contract nearly resulted in a strike. It went right to the deadline and we ended up making out very well. I'm glad my reps got every penny they could.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I find this to be an odd take because anyone negotiating a contract is going to try to maximize their income. I don't negotiate myself, but our last contract nearly resulted in a strike. It went right to the deadline and we ended up making out very well. I'm glad my reps got every penny they could.
Good for you. My personal feelings are based on who is paying your salary. Is it a company or the tax payers.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I am glad TJ took control, but think it should have been done sooner. TJ should have been paid, but squeezing every penny out when you are going to be the highest paid ultimately hamstrings the team. Sacrificing a couple mil could mean the difference in bringing in a mid free agent vs raiding other teams scrap piles. When you are getting 20+ mil how much more do you really need

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Disclaimer*

summed up quite nicely !!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am glad TJ took control, but think it should have been done sooner. TJ should have been paid, but squeezing every penny out when you are going to be the highest paid ultimately hamstrings the team. Sacrificing a couple mil could mean the difference in bringing in a mid free agent vs raiding other teams scrap piles. When you are getting 20+ mil how much more do you really need

evidently about $8.1 mil more !

Salute the nation

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Love Watt the player. I just would have used the 3 years of control still in my pocket as leverage. The Steelers decided not to. Simple as that. We get Watt two extra years at $80 dollars.
Well, the team with the league leading number of SuperBowls thinks differently than you. Hopefully your disappointment at not leading Steeler negotiations will not lead to prolonged bitterness.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I normally don’t give a rats *** about the money side of football it doesnt concern me or mine of course hell they all get paid too much rock stars, rappers, movie stars… but I have to say I‘m glad watt will be around. to me he really represents the city as I remember it and hope it will always be.. a town that brings its lunch in a bucket ready to go to work. He isnt on the interwebs running his yap he just goes out works his *** off and come game time, he goes out grabs them by the nose and kicks in the ***, Lambert style... that’s good enough for me. Way I see it, you got to pay someone… pay him. Go Steelers!

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't hate Juju. I just think he's an immature clown.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
He got 30 million more guaranteed than Miles Garrett did last year.

It is hard to imagine how much more Watt's agent thought he could get.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
The deal is done and we can focus on the season now. Congrats TJ, well deserved and appreciate you taking the bull by the horns to get it done.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling inside because Watt might have taken less after being offered a record contract.
thing is, we all knew and expected a contract of this magnitude. if you didn't, you weren't paying attention and were unaware of how TJ pushes/leads our defense. It's one thing for the man to NOT take this into the media and divide the fan base - as some guys are wont to do. TJ kept his mouth shut in the media, continued to grind and show up at praktiss every day.

then, when he reached HIS point - he may have even been telling his agents that the previous submission was ok, but who knows - TJ went into the boss' office and told this was over and signed a contract. THEN went back to work. Legendary stuff.

I'm sure his agent was exasperated, wanting more for his client.

I wish I had an agent arguing for me in my annual salary talks who wanted me to get more than even I thought would be available.

Can not fault the man for getting every penny he could. Look at what happened to the Rats' RBs. One injury...