• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report – TJ Watt Ended Negotiations By Accepting Deal in Art Rooney’s Office

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. He got paid the highest amount ever and was trying to get more. And he gets praise because he apparently decided that what was being offered was enough. You know. The highest amount ever. And somehow this is a feel good story.
The point is, he overruled his agents, who were trying to get more money. The player usually stays out of the negotitations. So, yes, it is a good story and one to make most people (apparently not you) like Watt even more.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I noted this in another thread. I believe Watt will be 31ish when this deal is done. Hopefully, the Steelers will give him another contract then (like they did with Heyward who was already in his 30's), if he is still healthy and playing at a high level. Heyward is one of the few to get 2 big contracts from the Steelers.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
The point is, he overruled his agents, who were trying to get more money. The player usually stays out of the negotitations. So, yes, it is a good story and one to make most people (apparently not you) like Watt even more.

He's a Steeler through and through. I like him even more today!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I think the story got dropped just so Watt didn't look like the bad guy. I don't believe it for a second.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Love Watt the player. I just would have used the 3 years of control still in my pocket as leverage. The Steelers decided not to. Simple as that. We get Watt two extra years at $80 dollars.
If you believe there was 3 years of control on Watt, then you don’t understand the CBA or the cap economics. The days of tagging a player more than once is long gone. The CBA allowed 1st round picks the opportunity to get big money after their rookie contract expired, with the 5th year option. The Tag was supposed to be used as a machine to allow teams to help keep “home grown” players. However, certain infantile owners (Jones, Davis, Snyder, Wilfs, etc) abused the spirit of the tag itself (incentive bonuses, poison pill clauses) to attract players.

The economics of the NFL now requires to build teams through their drafts and sign affordable free agents who don’t destroy the balancing act of cap space to position value. There is too much money to lose by not having a successfully winning franchise.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
thing is, we all knew and expected a contract of this magnitude. if you didn't, you weren't paying attention and were unaware of how TJ pushes/leads our defense. It's one thing for the man to NOT take this into the media and divide the fan base - as some guys are wont to do. TJ kept his mouth shut in the media, continued to grind and show up at praktiss every day.

then, when he reached HIS point - he may have even been telling his agents that the previous submission was ok, but who knows - TJ went into the boss' office and told this was over and signed a contract. THEN went back to work. Legendary stuff.

I'm sure his agent was exasperated, wanting more for his client.

I wish I had an agent arguing for me in my annual salary talks who wanted me to get more than even I thought would be available.

Can not fault the man for getting every penny he could. Look at what happened to the Rats' RBs. One injury...
Ahhh..a bunch of speculation on your part. And Watt was not taking part in contact drills while under contract. He had a record offer while trying to get more money and then decided it was enough. Again I don't see why everyone is praising him. The Rooney's offer Watt a record deal and he says I want more. I will speculate the offer he accepted was on the table for weeks. He finally took it. The Steelers decided not to budge any farther(more speculation). Their thinking was that they were offering him a record deal already(and even more speculation).

So in the end Watt being one of the best players in football got paid. I won't be losing sleep over it.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
If you believe there was 3 years of control on Watt, then you don’t understand the CBA or the cap economics. The days of tagging a player more than once is long gone. The CBA allowed 1st round picks the opportunity to get big money after their rookie contract expired, with the 5th year option. The Tag was supposed to be used as a machine to allow teams to help keep “home grown” players. However, certain infantile owners (Jones, Davis, Snyder, Wilfs, etc) abused the spirit of the tag itself (incentive bonuses, poison pill clauses) to attract players.

The economics of the NFL now requires to build teams through their drafts and sign affordable free agents who don’t destroy the balancing act of cap space to position value. There is too much money to lose by not having a successfully winning franchise.
Weird that we just tagged Bell twice under the same CBA. Or did it change at some point? So we had Watt's 5th year option and two tag years. No?

fogdoctor

Reaction score
It's market value right now. In two 2 years he may be underpaid (I hope).

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Worth every penny, if he didn’t deserve to be the highest paid defensive player then who? And that contract will only be the highest one for a little bit.
Now, let’s go unleash hell....

And by that I mean negotiation on Minkah’s 20M per deal lol

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just happy to have him on board. A little sad he won't be able to start this weekend, but...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
show us on the doll where TJ hurt you....some people just like to think negative about everyone and every thing
Do I think TJ told his agent to get it done? Yes.
Do I think TJ marched into Art The Deuce's office, signed the contract, and told his agent to kiss off? No.

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Do I think TJ told his agent to get it done? Yes.
Di I think TJ marched into Art The Deuce's office, signed the contract, and told his agent to kiss off? No.
Ya, but it's such a good story, I'm sticking with it and going to shove it in the face of anyone from any other team that wants to badmouth him.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Weird that we just tagged Bell twice under the same CBA. Or did it change at some point? So we had Watt's 5th year option and two tag years. No?
Nope….Bell‘s situation was under the prior CBA. The 2020 CBA changed the parameters of the franchise tag after Input from the NFLPA. One of the few things De Smith has done right for the players apparently.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Good read with breakdown of TJ's contract.

When adding this number to each of those reported, here is the projected salary cap numbers for T.J. Watt over the next five years:

2021: $8 million
2022: $31 million
2023: $27 million
2024: $28.05 million
2025: $28.05 million

The most notable thing with this contract is how the Steelers actually saved $2 million on the 2021 salary cap if this report is accurate. Exactly what the Steelers would do with this money remains to be seen. It is noteworthy that any salary cap savings they don’t use in 2021 will roll over to next year.

.../...

In looking at these numbers, I believe this is not only a great deal for Watt, but also a pretty good deal for the Steelers. Ultimately time will tell if Watt’s production falls above or below his pay grade. But for now, Steelers fan should be ecstatic that Watt is under contract through 2025, that his extension was that of the highest paid defensive player in the NFL, and the Steelers should be able to handle the salary cap implications in the coming years.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The most notable thing with this contract is how the Steelers actually saved $2 million on the 2021 salary cap if this report is accurate. Exactly what the Steelers would do with this money remains to be seen. It is noteworthy that any salary cap savings they don’t use in 2021 will roll over to next year.
They need to save as much money against next year's cap as they can to sign Fitz and in case Ben comes back.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Happy its done. Happy he will be along term Steelers player. Don't like the way the Steelers are structuring their contracts. I preferred Dan and Cowher and Colbert philosophy. Sometimes you have to eat it today for tomorrow. And sometimes you need to let a good player walk (not this case) because you got his best days out of him. You have to except some down years to get back to the top. The Steelers seem to have taken this course of remortgaging the house to be somewhere in the middle to upper middle. They made all these moves for what? To finish second or third in the division with a chance at a wildcard. This team will win some games. might even look good at times. But this is not a championship caliber squad. Their oline is way to green and they are thin in a lot of positions.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And TJ with 1 sack, 1 strip-sack, and possibly another half-sack depending on how they call the one sack. They also played him all over the line. Didn't know he put on 10 lbs of muscle this offseason but the announcer said he did.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe both TJ and the Steelers kinda know how to handle things