• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

ROADTRIP things to do in Pittsburgh

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Check List:
Health renewed
Passport renewal in progress
Trip to Pittsburgh in the works
Penguins game on a Saturday night
Steelers game against Ravens to celebrate my birthday on the 6th October

It has been 13 long years since I have been able to travel to a Steeler's home game
While there with my wife we took in a game, amphibius tour bus/boat, incline ride, zoo and dinner cruise on the river

This time with Pens fan (brother-in-law)

Any suggestions about accomodations, new sights, stadium tours, restaurants, good seats at the venues etc. would be appreciated

I know Primanti's will be on the list
what else would you all suggest

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
About 6-7 floors up at Macey's (I think, might be higher) and experience the "WOODEN escalators". It's simple but very kewl to witness, if you like mechanics.

On Saturday night they use to always light up both PNC & Hienz field, take Station Suare Incline and walk up a ways to see both from a topographical view and city skyline, it makes for great night pictures.

It's a place called the "Church or Church Works" or something like that (goggle) and it's very close to where they brew IRON CITY beer. The restaurant is amazing good and a de-commissioned church to boot. Can see the micro-brew plant through glass, all while eating.

Strip District has a lot of stuff and "cheap" STEELERS STUFF. Pippi's is there where you can get the FAMOUS Roethlisberger (be hungry).

Those are just a few I like but Many here will have MANY a many more to share.

Happy trip and safe travel. HAPPY BIRTHDAY a little early.

PeAce

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
It's a place called the "Church or Church Works" or something like that (goggle) and it's very close to where they brew IRON CITY beer. The restaurant is amazing good and a de-commissioned church to boot. Can see the micro-brew plant through glass, all while eating.
Church Brew Works.

Pippi's is there where you can get the FAMOUS Roethlisberger (be hungry).
Peppi's.

Heinz History Center and the attached Pittsburgh Sports Museum.
Wigle Whiskey in the Strip, not far from the Heinz History Center. Excellent stuff. You can go to the bar any time but need to make a reservation for the tour. Ask to be on Aaron's tour if available, that's my son. Tour is $25 but you get free samples.
DiAnoia's Italian restaurant, again in the Strip and not far from Wigle. Best to make a reservation on Fridays and Saturdays.
Big Jim's. Old-timey steeltown mill bar, not far but you will need a cab. Good selection of craft beers and the portions are enormous, although inexpensive. Featured on a TV show called "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives". Ditto breakfast at Kelly O's.
Waffles InCaffinated downtown also has great breakfast.
Threadbare Cider House. On the North Side, again not real far but you will need a cab or Uber or Lyft.
Andy Warhol Museum. Near the stadium.

Try the Drury or Hotel Monaco.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ron, thanks for the clarity as my memory fades as its been WAY to long since I was in PITTSBURGH.

Salute the nation

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Church Brew Works.

Peppi's.

Heinz History Center and the attached Pittsburgh Sports Museum.
Wigle Whiskey in the Strip, not far from the Heinz History Center. Excellent stuff. You can go to the bar any time but need to make a reservation for the tour. Ask to be on Aaron's tour if available, that's my son. Tour is $25 but you get free samples.
DiAnoia's Italian restaurant, again in the Strip and not far from Wigle. Best to make a reservation on Fridays and Saturdays.
Big Jim's. Old-timey steeltown mill bar, not far but you will need a cab. Good selection of craft beers and the portions are enormous, although inexpensive. Featured on a TV show called "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives". Ditto breakfast at Kelly O's.
Waffles InCaffinated downtown also has great breakfast.
Threadbare Cider House. On the North Side, again not real far but you will need a cab or Uber or Lyft.
Andy Warhol Museum. Near the stadium.

Try the Drury or Hotel Monaco.

Thanks Ron great info.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Mallorca Restaurant
Huge menu, good beer & wine. When they do specials, first will be Delmonico. Second is Seafood feast.
No need to go further.
Try Mario's in the bar zone further down Carson.
Hit up Justin/Cheryl's tailgate. Really good people.
Bring a case of "Labatts", lol, for them. And a few Steeler beer cans (tell them it sucks)....you can make many new friends walking thru tailgate passing out Steeler beer!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Mallorca Restaurant
Huge menu, good beer & wine. When they do specials, first will be Delmonico. Second is Seafood feast.
No need to go further.
Try Mario's in the bar zone further down Carson.
Hit up Justin/Cheryl's tailgate. Really good people.
Bring a case of "Labatts", lol, for them. And a few Steeler beer cans (tell them it sucks)....you can make many new friends walking thru tailgate passing out Steeler beer!

You noticed that alot of Americans crave our Cdn brews as well. Everyone was pretty cool in 2006 and I paid $5 to ride with hundreds of Steelers fans on the Clipper Fleet to the drop off and pick up at Heinz Field
Thanks for info

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
You noticed that alot of Americans crave our Cdn brews as well. Everyone was pretty cool in 2006 and I paid $5 to ride with hundreds of Steelers fans on the Clipper Fleet to the drop off and pick up at Heinz Field
Thanks for info
Have fun.

Go Shamrocks!! Lol

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The two times I went were a little less boozy than Ron's itinerary as I was with my family, but he seems to have all the bigs. Missed the Heinz museum the first time went to it the second and was very impressed. First time we went to a WW2 era submarine at the science centre. I like that stuff. Big thing is you have the hockey game. I always try to include another sporting event (usually collage football). I thought the Strip district was great on game day. Head down there and take that in. Pretty much a giant Steelers flea market. If you want to see the players close get their early near the scoreboard tunnel . If you don't leave early Monday, I would catch the stadium tour, its kind of a must for a fan. Bettis' Grill has great atmosphere for watching the second set of games. lots of bars to watch the Sunday nighter at. Have fun fellow Canuck!!!

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
The two times I went were a little less boozy than Ron's itinerary as I was with my family, but he seems to have all the bigs. Missed the Heinz museum the first time went to it the second and was very impressed. First time we went to a WW2 era submarine at the science centre. I like that stuff. Big thing is you have the hockey game. I always try to include another sporting event (usually collage football). I thought the Strip district was great on game day. Head down there and take that in. Pretty much a giant Steelers flea market. If you want to see the players close get their early near the scoreboard tunnel . If you don't leave early Monday, I would catch the stadium tour, its kind of a must for a fan. Bettis' Grill has great atmosphere for watching the second set of games. lots of bars to watch the Sunday nighter at. Have fun fellow Canuck!!!

Hey Sask
The science centre and stadium tour is something I wan't to do last time around but we had to get back for a wedding at home and couldn't fit it in. I remember walking through the strip and checking out the merchandise. Coors had a huge display that I can remember. Mike has never seen the Pens at home so I am glad they are playing Columbus on Saturday. Its kind of a gift for helping me out during my recovery time and basically being more of a brother to me than an in-law over the years.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Hey Sask
The science centre and stadium tour is something I wan't to do last time around but we had to get back for a wedding at home and couldn't fit it in. I remember walking through the strip and checking out the merchandise. Coors had a huge display that I can remember. Mike has never seen the Pens at home so I am glad they are playing Columbus on Saturday. Its kind of a gift for helping me out during my recovery time and basically being more of a brother to me than an in-law over the years.

Travel and showing gratitude to those we care about are two things you will never regret in life. IMHO the science center is more of a family thing. Two things I do remember about it was the sub and possibly the worst looking transgender dude ever. haha. Stadium tour is truly a can't miss. Snagged some grass, painted it green, keeping it forever. This is what the Steelers trip means to me. When you see the things on TV like Peppis in the strip district, or the Men of Steel sign outside the locker room, you can say "I been there, I done that!!!"

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Travel and showing gratitude to those we care about are two things you will never regret in life. IMHO the science center is more of a family thing. Two things I do remember about it was the sub and possibly the worst looking transgender dude ever. haha. Stadium tour is truly a can't miss. Snagged some grass, painted it green, keeping it forever. This is what the Steelers trip means to me. When you see the things on TV like Peppis in the strip district, or the Men of Steel sign outside the locker room, you can say "I been there, I done that!!!"

True. I never did travel much before but sure have missed the opportunity to do so over the last several years.
This is more of a nightmare than a memory regarding the worst looking transgender dude ever. While celebrating 40 bday in Hawaii I turned around to notice a 6'9" blonde complete with blue mini dress and 4" heels eying me up an down. Me standing at 5'10" and 185 lbs well I admit I was scared ....lol
Regarding missing out -- my brother Gerry has a time share in Cancun and I couldn't make the trip..... he came back and told me he met someone while playing volleyball in the resort pool.... I was immediately jealous as I am an avid indoor/ beach volleyball player and then I just turned green with envy when he told me HINES WARD says hi. .........son of *****
Oh well if my heart decides to give me trouble again .. it better be from eating at Primanti Bros. or Peppi's after a Steeler's Superbowl victory

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Oh well if my heart decides to give me trouble again .. it better be from eating at Primanti Bros. or Peppi's after a Steeler's Superbowl victory
Haha, better to live a week as a tiger than 20 years as a sheep!! P.S. all the people who are posting here gave me very solid advice the times I went. VERY good local knowledge.

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
It's been 10 years since I was last in Pittsburgh but Cheerleaders was a great time. These places tend to go in cycles though (it was fairly new back then) so may have gone downhill. Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu were there and VERY popular when we were last there.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
It's been 10 years since I was last in Pittsburgh but Cheerleaders was a great time. These places tend to go in cycles though (it was fairly new back then) so may have gone downhill. Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu were there and VERY popular when we were last there.

Thanks for the response from across the pond

Mr.Rocco

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the heads up on the local spots. I will finally make it there the same wknd and really looking forward to having a great time.
Until the old lady tells me to settle down.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the heads up on the local spots. I will finally make it there the same wknd and really looking forward to having a great time.
Until the old lady tells me to settle down.

The more the merrier

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you like to drink Roland's on the Strip

PA_Pittsburgh_25.jpg

Nice little view of the passer byes.

Also Jacks on the Southside (across from Mike and Tony's)

and Red Beards on Mt. Washington

All three have food, although Jacks is minimal.

- - - ---------------------- - - - -

Food

Mike and Tony southside- Gyro's kick ***.
Pamela's strip district - good breakfast
DeLuca's Diner strip district -good breakfast
As mentioned Peppi's strip district -Wheeler is sausage and steak and it is fantastic.
And Bella Notte strip district - get the pepperoni roll.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Kerry Outlet Gift Store - The best unknown Steeler strip district store. It sits a little farther away from the rest of the stores. Lot of unique Steelers things to buy..............

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Kerry Outlet Gift Store - The best unknown Steeler strip district store. It sits a little farther away from the rest of the stores. Lot of unique Steelers things to buy..............

Hey Slash just booked at Double Tree by Hilton on Bigelow Square. Do the following bridges all have pedestrian walkways Roberto Clemente, Fort Duquesne, Liberty and Smithfield st. ???
I want to walk to hockey and football games.:towel:
What streets do you classify as making up the strip ?
Excited