• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Roethlisberger to practice Wednesday (10/14)

Stoney

Reaction score
well, if he comes back, he's at home and can work out the kinks in a game that some here say doesnt matter.

Agreed. But I also think that if he isn't well enough to start, then he shouldn't even dress for the game.

#allgamesmatter #butbenmattersmore

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Stoney. I don't think he dresses this week, its just way too soon. Maybe against KC if he can get a full practice or two in. Best bet is still the home game against the bungles IMO.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure I understand how people are claiming its way too early. This isn't like you or I have this injury. He's being constantly treated by the best doctors in the world. If he's good to go he plays. If he isn't then reevaluate next week.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure I understand how people are claiming its way too early. This isn't like you or I have this injury. He's being constantly treated by the best doctors in the world. If he's good to go he plays. If he isn't then reevaluate next week.
MCLs is usually 4 to 6 weeks

Not that he can't heal quicker than some, but with that time table....... I can see why people are thinking a return would be too soon.

I wonder if Ben will have a repeat MRI before returning..........

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he dresses either. I don't think he should. My point was just that there are no throw away games. If people are expecting Cincy to falter badly, they may be disappointed.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Really. That is some amazing logic. A third is not that different from a fifth. So hell I guess the Ravens at 1-4 are practically tied with the Bengals at 5-0.... You can lose 6 games in a season and still easily make the playoffs.

Not at all! If the Ravens win their next two games and the Steelers lose theirs, the Ravens will be ahead of the Steelers in the standings. To surpass the Bengals it would take at least twice as many games.

At 3-2, the Steelers need to go 8-3 to almost certainly make the playoffs, 7-4 and it's less certain, 6-5 and it's somewhat doubtful. They are projecting closest to 6-5 with many teams with better records on their remaining schedule. They ain't exactly sittin' pretty.

I wouldn't say 10-6 easily makes the playoffs when 11-5 teams have missed the playoffs before.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
10-6 cruises to the playoffs this year in the AFC. 9-7 will make it, but it will of course need to be the correct 9-7 in terms of conference wins. Take a look at the standings. Its 4 division winners and a bunch of scrubs. West Broncos- Chargers, Chiefs and Oakland all have losing records and you can't exactly say the Chargers look like a GOOD TEAM. South. Well its the South and they all suck including the Colts this year. East- Pats. Jets look like a wild card team. As do the Bills, but 10 wins, Math of playing each other and four combined loses to the Pats will cancel one out. Dolphins stink. That leaves the North. ravens are done. They got nothing. If you can't beat out the Browns, I'll be happy to be out. CAN'T LOSE BEN!!!!!

Troglodyte

Reaction score
10-6 cruises to the playoffs this year in the AFC. 9-7 will make it, but it will of course need to be the correct 9-7 in terms of conference wins.

Not sure how you can say this with any certainty with over 2/3rds of the games remaining. The landscape can change dramatically by the end if the season.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Not sure how you can say this with any certainty with over 2/3rds of the games remaining. The landscape can change dramatically by the end if the season.
Not that hard. 11-5 always in, 10-6 (very, very rarely not in) 9-7 becomes the crap shoot. Now when you look how the first third has gone there is a whole lot of 2-3 and 1-4 in the AFC and not many of them are 2-3 like the Sea Hawks where you go, that isn't a 2-3 team. I would play him if the doctor says it is no more of a risk and he feels good to go. If they can't go 8 and 3 in the remaining games it really wouldn't matter. He is hurt. Over.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

Not that he can't heal quicker than some, but with that time table....... I can see why people are thinking a return would be too soon.

MCL sprain is 2-4. The bone bruise is what they claimed would make it longer. They said he would be in pain from this. He isnt. Said he has no pain.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Not that hard. 11-5 always in, 10-6 (very, very rarely not in) 9-7 becomes the crap shoot. Now when you look how the first third has gone there is a whole lot of 2-3 and 1-4 in the AFC and not many of them are 2-3 like the Sea Hawks where you go, that isn't a 2-3 team. I would play him if the doctor says it is no more of a risk and he feels good to go. If they can't go 8 and 3 in the remaining games it really wouldn't matter. He is hurt. Over.

Patriots were 11-5 on 2008, no playoffs. Not that they don't deserve that or anything bad that befalls them, but yeah. Broncos were 11-5 in 1985 and missed the playoffs. Rare, but it happens.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
if he has no pain, then the issue is being stiff and/or getting back into shape. I doubt he's been running on a treadmill for the past few weeks, but conceivably could have been doing work in the pool to maintain muscle strength.

As was said, Ben at 50% is better than Vick at 100% in this offense. Haley CAN alter the play calling to get the ball out of Ben's hands quicker, as we did that a year or two ago with quite some efficiency. I know he went a stretch of games where he wasn't sacked a lot (for him).

Someone said that the issue with the bone bruise was it could increase the chance of the bone breaking. I've not seen anything about that on any of the medical sites I've browsed looking for this.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Maybe we should just hold him out until next season...He should be healthy then.....

Zack_of_Steel

Reaction score
Outside of the last drive and the bomb, Vick was atrocious. I say put Ben in the double-shotgun and just add 10 yards to all of his throws.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
MCL sprain is 2-4. The bone bruise is what they claimed would make it longer. They said he would be in pain from this. He isnt. Said he has no pain.

Depends on the degree of sprain....

A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.
A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.
A grade 3 tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the ACL, in which case the recovery time may be longer.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately we do not know the degree of sprain, but I am thinking it is either a 2 or 3.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Not that hard. 11-5 always in, 10-6 (very, very rarely not in) 9-7 becomes the crap shoot. Now when you look how the first third has gone there is a whole lot of 2-3 and 1-4 in the AFC and not many of them are 2-3 like the Sea Hawks where you go, that isn't a 2-3 team.

No, four 10-6 teams have missed the playoffs in the past five years.

What's the point in drawing conclusions after only a third of the season? No team is even close to securing their 10th or 11th win, and six weeks from now, those 2-3 teams could be close to getting that 10th win with a 3rd of the season still remaining.

Spike

Reaction score
Unfortunately we do not know the degree of sprain, but I am thinking it is either a 2 or 3.

You'd be wrong

A mild MCL injury or grade one sprain should take 3 to 6 weeks to make a full recovery

A more severe grade 2 or grade 3 injury may take 8 to 12 weeks.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/mcl-sprain

A grade 3 sprain is a complete tear of the MCL

Medial collateral ligament injury grading

http://radiopaedia.org/articles/medial-collateral-ligament-injury-grading

mdk2

Reaction score
My guess...

Ben plays on Sunday and we win.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
if he has no pain, then the issue is being stiff and/or getting back into shape. I doubt he's been running on a treadmill for the past few weeks, but conceivably could have been doing work in the pool to maintain muscle strength.

As was said, Ben at 50% is better than Vick at 100% in this offense. Haley CAN alter the play calling to get the ball out of Ben's hands quicker, as we did that a year or two ago with quite some efficiency. I know he went a stretch of games where he wasn't sacked a lot (for him).

Someone said that the issue with the bone bruise was it could increase the chance of the bone breaking. I've not seen anything about that on any of the medical sites I've browsed looking for this.

Hey Supe, I was worried, when I saw the injury, that it was a an impaction bone bruise or kissing contusion, since the preliminary reports were all showing concern of the severity of the bone bruise. A repeat blow in the same way to that joint, before being completely healed, can cause a severe injury to the joint. If it's external, bone fragmentation may occur. These injuries can take over a year to completely heal, so that would be a ton of concern with that.

After doing a bunch of research on the severity, range of motion, and type of bone bruise associated with Ben's range of motion during his injury, it appears that his bone bruise should be less severe (as his leg was not planted at the time of impact). His bones hitting each other is what saved his ACL, as it took the impact of the joint, and that is the best case scenario of that injury. Not being planted also helped to deflect the impact along his entire leg, and not place all of the impact on the joint (as is what happens when the foot is planted in the turf.

Moving forward, if Ben isn't feeling pain in the joint, that's a great sign that the bone bruise is much less severe than the team was anticipating. I haven't seen the MRIs so it's impossible to discuss severity without them. Ben can still play football before the bone bruise is fully healed, and one big thing that would help him during contact, is to wear a knee brace. This would be more to protect the bone bruise, then to protect the MCL, which should be fully healed when he steps back on the field for a game.

He's the franchise, and there's no way the team doctors or FO would allow Ben to play without the MCL fully repaired. From watching the injury, I still have firmly set my time table for his return at 6 weeks. If he comes back before then, I'm ecstatic, but I will be concerned that he isn't fully healed. Ben has shown in the past that he is a fast healer, and he has all the best medical treatment he can receive, including the best athletic injury hospital in the nation (UPMC). If they have treatments that can reduce his healing time (micro-current, plasma therapy, heat treatments, ultrasound), I'm sure Ben and the team will exhaust each and every resource to make his knee as strong as possible, before he returns to a game.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Again... extra cautious is the way to go here... the rally cry ought to be "Remember Bradshaw's shoulder"

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
He wont play.....and it'll be confirmed tomorrow evening