• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rooney on Mike Tomlin's future

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Art Rooney II on Mike Tomlin's future with the Steelers (his contract runs through 2021, option in 2022): "Comfortable in saying he’ll be our coach in the future. In terms of the job he did, we didn’t finish the way we’d like." Glad someone is comfy, a lot of fans aren't. [emoji16]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Art Rooney II on Mike Tomlin's future with the Steelers (his contract runs through 2021, option in 2022): "Comfortable in saying he’ll be our coach in the future. In terms of the job he did, we didn’t finish the way we’d like." Glad someone is comfy, a lot of fans aren't. [emoji16]

I guess the owner loves the movie "Groundhog Day". The coach needs to reevaluate himself and do whatever it takes. Tired of seeing fireballs and blown out tires each year.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The standard remains the standard, correct Art?

He remains a 1/10 of the man his father was. Extending Tomlin? Sure, sure that will work.

stevielee

Reaction score

Yep saw that. Just posted the link in another thread. I sure do miss Dan.

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Art Deuce is NOT a football man or visionist. He has NO sweat equity in it and no up-bringing within a football atmosphere. Sure he went down to the stadium with is dad but as soon as he could he skipped out and went to school away from everything football. As long as the $$$bank$$$ keeps flowing there will be NO change in philosophy.

Accept who we are and who we have coaching because that's how it is and will remain.

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
I wonder if this is another problem with the "Steeler Way" of keeping a coach for a long time, through thick and thin...The Coach and his family get ingrained into the community. You are not just firing a coach, you are firing his wife, who I think built a business n Pittsburgh, his kids, who grew up in Pittsburgh and also some of the good things the coach himself does in the community. It has to be hard to do to some degree. I don't think we think of that part of it often enough. I know I don't when I say Tomlin needs to go.

diver

Reaction score
He would have addressed the 4 straight years of collapsing a lot sooner

Maybe. But is "addressing it" what we want? Not really, because Art2 said some things that sure sound like stuff is being "addressed." We want him fired.

Lemmy

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if this is another problem with the "Steeler Way" of keeping a coach for a long time, through thick and thin...The Coach and his family get ingrained into the community. You are not just firing a coach, you are firing his wife, who I think built a business n Pittsburgh, his kids, who grew up in Pittsburgh and also some of the good things the coach himself does in the community. It has to be hard to do to some degree. I don't think we think of that part of it often enough. I know I don't when I say Tomlin needs to go.

Who gives a **** about his wife's business or his family. He is getting paid a fortune to coach and his family is financially set for life plus the guy can get another coaching job or spew his bullshit as a TV talking head. Hope this is his last year ******* the Steelers.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The standard remains the standard, correct Art?

When the standard is at least 8-8 and a first round playoff loss, hell yeah.
I never thought he should have got his last extension unless he got to the Super Bowl.

mdk2

Reaction score
That's really pathetic. Tomlin never has to feel any urgency or pressure in his position.
AR2 has repeatedly said the running game needs fixed the past 3-4 years yet nothing changes. Does Tomlin hold responsibility for anything on this team?
Why is he only held accountable when the team has success. It's getting old.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
Like him or not, it's looking more like Tomlin will be coach for life.

Last edited:

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I put just as much of the situation on ARII as do Tomlin.

That being said, I’m curious —not condescending....

How many of yinz can remember the 1980s? It wasn’t exactly Dan’s best moments.

The Dan Marino gaffe was most remembered, but the Steelers drafts were mostly abysmal from 1975-1992.

Rod Woodson, Louis Lipps, Robin Cole & Eric Green (being generous with last two) were only 1st round picks that did anything for damn near 20 years.

Tim Worley, John Reinstra, Darryl Sims, Aaron Jones, Walter Ambercombie, Huey Richardson...

And Dan was in charge of those years. Don’t look on past with rose colored glasses and say Dan was perfect.

If the longest stretch of missing playoffs in 20 years is 2 seasons, you’re doing something right

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerSask2

Reaction score

Well they didn't seem to care about poor Randy or ol' sweet feet and their families and they make a fraction of Cool shades bread.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
A comment the Duece made was (words to the affect) we don't think about three years down the road. Well Art maybe you really should start to.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is exactly why I have not spent a single dime on ANYTHING to support that group of losers. All AR2 is interested in is if the money coming in is greater than the money going out. He has shown that he care NOTHING about the quality of the “product” why should I?

diver

Reaction score
Well they didn't seem to care about poor Randy or ol' sweet feet and their families and they make a fraction of Cool shades bread.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I'm just trying to figure out why there is such reluctance to move on from a coach. Like FSF mentioned abut the '80s. I remember those days too well. And Dan stayed with Noll, even through those years from '85-'88. Now I do recall in '88 he forced Noll to make some staff changes, but that is about it. So it isn't just Art2.

Anyway, it has served them well for the most part. But this show we are watching with Tomlin right now just isn't changing, and it just ain't that good. It does take any "wait to next year" hope out of the equation, doesn't it?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I put just as much of the situation on ARII as do Tomlin.

That being said, I’m curious —not condescending....

How many of yinz can remember the 1980s? It wasn’t exactly Dan’s best moments.

The Dan Marino gaffe was most remembered, but the Steelers drafts were mostly abysmal from 1975-1992.

Rod Woodson, Louis Lipps, Robin Cole & Eric Green (being generous with last two) were only 1st round picks that did anything for damn near 20 years.

Tim Worley, John Reinstra, Darryl Sims, Aaron Jones, Walter Ambercombie, Huey Richardson...

And Dan was in charge of those years. Don’t look on past with rose colored glasses and say Dan was perfect.

If the longest stretch of missing playoffs in 20 years is 2 seasons, you’re doing something right

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
5 years since they won a playoff game. 4 in which they had one of the best GM's and franchise QBs at their disposal. Sure both Rooney's had their flaws. But I am about the here and now and coming off one of the most embarrassing playoff losses in team history. They aren't doing something pretty good. In fact there is nothing pretty about their repetitive late season nose dives. That is the ugly girl in the room that we get to take out to the prom for the foreseeable future.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I will say this, Art or his Dad would not bash a coach or player in the media, that doesn't mean it didn't happen behind closed doors. We'll know if Tomlin gets his contract extended this offseason.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure sounded like it was his intention per that interview... that left me a little nautious.
I will say this, Art or his Dad would not bash a coach or player in the media, that doesn't mean it didn't happen behind closed doors. We'll know if Tomlin gets his contract extended this offseason.