• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rooney on secondary: We've made some mistakes

P

POP

“It’s a combination of things,’’ Rooney said of the secondary missteps. “We’ve made some mistakes, there’s no denying that, regarding some of the evaluations. Having said that, we still have players in that group that we think can improve. That’s what we are looking forward to, having that group get better as the years go on. That’s what we are looking for this upcoming offseason.”
Unlike Tomlin, at least Art 2 can admit they put chopped liver out there in the secondary.

Then again, Tomlin thinks Jarvis Jones offered "solid play" so he isn't the most credible source.

Last edited by a moderator:

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
JJ probably did put in solid play this year, and hopefully more so next year.

Where he was drafted is not on him at all. The failure is that Mgmt selected him in the 1st round.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The fact that Rooney said it has me excited. The Steelers ranked 30th in pass defense, but when you see who we played ( 7 backup QB's ) its worse than one would think.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Where he was drafted is not on him at all. The failure is that Mgmt selected him in the 1st round.

I wonder if JJ was a Tomlin pick, and Colbert preferred someone else. The pick smelled from day one.

ZACKB

Reaction score
The mistake he means are Shamarko and Cortez, obviously

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
2011 draft, this set us up for failure for the last few years

Round 3 Curtis Brown
Round 4 Cortez Allen
Round 5 Richard Sherman

Yeah I'd say we made some mistakes.

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
2011 draft, this set us up for failure for the last few years

Round 3 Curtis Brown
Round 4 Cortez Allen
Round 5 Richard Sherman

Yeah I'd say we made some mistakes.

So did 31 other teams for 4 rounds prior to Sherman being drafted. Hindsight is 20/20. How many teams would pass on AB for 6 rounds now?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Unlike Tomlin, at least Art 2 can admit they put chopped liver out there in the secondary.

Then again, Tomlin thinks Jarvis Jones offered "solid play" so he isn't the most credible source.

Let me get this straight, Coa...er, ah, Pop...

Did Jarvis Jones play in the majority of the games this season? Yes.

Did Jarvis Jones get some sacks this season? Yes.

Did Jarvis Jones get QB pressures this season? Yes.

Did Jarvis Jones force a fumble? Yes.

Did Jarvis Jones intercept a pass? Yes.

Did Jarvis Jones assist in some tackles? Yes.

Did Jarvis Jones make his own tackles? Yes.

Did Jarvis Jones defend a pass or two? Yes.

There are only two major stats that Jarvis Jones did not record this year - a safety and a TD.

While his stats are not stellar they are by all accounts - SOLID.

ianv2012

Reaction score
I wonder if JJ was a Tomlin pick, and Colbert preferred someone else. The pick smelled from day one.

At 1:34 mark Colbert begins describing how they felt about Jarvis falling to them, pretty sure he liked him to, just watch the video. Especially at 2:10 Colbert describes how excited they were when he ran a 4.9 40, and Colbert immediately goes and speaks to JJ's agent to set up a visit. So no I'd have to say your reaching here.....

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Colbert-and-Tomlin-on-Jarvis-Jones/3f3b470a-73c2-4411-bb04-e5eba16ef33d

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
we still have players in that group that we think can improve. That’s what we are looking forward to, having that group get better as the years go on. That’s what we are looking for this upcoming offseason.

Who are the players in the group we are talking about? You'd have to think Cockrell (just re-signed), Golson and Grant. Gay, Blake, Boykin, Allen and Golden are all scheduled to become UFAs. Frankly, they could lose all of them and not miss a beat, but I'd like they to keep Gay, Boykin and Allen (backup only). Just don't see Golden being a regular contributor on the defense if he hasn't developed into one already.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Blake was undrafted, so not really a mistake. I think he means/drafting/signing mistakes.

I see.. I mean, Blake may not have been a drafting/signing mistake, but he was certainly a snap count/utilization mistake

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that Rooney said it has me excited. The Steelers ranked 30th in pass defense, but when you see who we played ( 7 backup QB's ) its worse than one would think.

I agree. When the top guy in charge admits some mistakes and is concerned. You know the coaching staff will make some type of adjustment

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bermuda, normally I would side with you, but Jarvis is kinda terrible man. He's shown some improvement. And I should have italicized some, but for where he was drafted he can't be considered anything but a giant disappointment.

I'm sorry man. While I can't see myself often agreeing with Coach, in this case - Jarvis has really failed to live up to expectations. At least in my humble opinion.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Pop, what do you expect the coach to do? **** on his own players? Not gonna happen. That's the owner's job.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Well, when an owner of a professional sports team has been paying a CB 3-6 million for doing next to nothing, I'd be pissed off too in his position.

As it relates to Jones, I think he is a good football player, but is pretty much worthless as 3-4 OLB. If the Steelers ran the 4-3? I'd like Jones quite a bit.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score

Solid play is a euphemism for he was ok. Now his snap count would say that he barely did that considering what he should be doing. Regardless, you could have a "solid" nickel back, a solid DE in this defense. ROLB in this defense requires a great deal than solid play. Tomlin knows that but what is he supposed to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd rather he says solid than publicly throwing the player under the bus, that would be a harbaugh kind of crap

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Bermuda, normally I would side with you, but Jarvis is kinda terrible man. He's shown some improvement. And I should have italicized some, but for where he was drafted he can't be considered anything but a giant disappointment.

I'm sorry man. While I can't see myself often agreeing with Coach, in this case - Jarvis has really failed to live up to expectations. At least in my humble opinion.

I just think that the description of "solid" is accurate. "Solid" does not mean his play was above the line - IMO, "solid" is average.

We need better than average from one or more of our pass rushing OLB's - secretly, I'm hoping Tim Williams enters the draft from Bama - he's a pass rushing/EDGE demon!!! Should be a nice pick in round 3 or 4...