• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
But he’s outplayed Pickett. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say Rudolph has played bad and has had plenty of opportunities unless you are willing to say the same about Pickett. Either that or you are a hypocrite.
When we drafted Rudolph, I wanted him to be the next guy. He never really showed many signs that he would be in his opportunities. Over multiple seasons when he had entire offseasons to prepare and improve, he still didn't show that he'd be anything more than a low-end starter. Pickett hasn't had a good rookie year and has missed throws you expect him to make on a weekly basis. However, he's still in his first season. You have to be pretty dense to consider 10 games the same sample size when one was over multiple seasons and the other is in one year. If Pickett looks the same in year two as he has in year one, then you have some major questions. Until then, I'm not going to sweat over it because this wasn't a playoff team this year regardless of the quarterback.

Teams did try to trade for him though.
What'd they offer? Clearly nothing worthwhile enough to indicate that he was in high demand. Of course he'll sign early in free agency next year because teams are always looking for QB depth.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
When we drafted Rudolph, I wanted him to be the next guy. He never really showed many signs that he would be in his opportunities. Over multiple seasons when he had entire offseasons to prepare and improve, he still didn't show that he'd be anything more than a low-end starter. Pickett hasn't had a good rookie year and has missed throws you expect him to make on a weekly basis. However, he's still in his first season. You have to be pretty dense to consider 10 games the same sample size when one was over multiple seasons and the other is in one year. If Pickett looks the same in year two as he has in year one, then you have some major questions. Until then, I'm not going to sweat over it because this wasn't a playoff team this year regardless of the quarterback.

What'd they offer? Clearly nothing worthwhile enough to indicate that he was in high demand. Of course he'll sign early in free agency next year because teams are always looking for QB depth.
I thought that was more media driven than factual.

Steelmann

Reaction score
You laugh but I bet there’s a few teams that come at him hard. I doubt he makes it a week on the market.
Sure if you want to bet.....no problem. Think of the parameters in the bet. You say teams will come at him hard. And last less than a week. It will be hard to prove that teams come at him hard. I mean if I was him.....being a 3rd string QB on a bottom feeder team,I’d probably jump at any offer I get. So that might be hard to prove. Also signing in the first week. Once again he might sign at anything he can get. Also with your confidence in him......are they signing him to be their starter? All these teams? That are coming at him hard.? Well they must be.

So you think of the specifics......and to make it interesting......no posting or coming to this site for a year? 6 months?
Not this week type of bet BS.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure if you want to bet.....no problem. Think of the parameters in the bet. You say teams will come at him hard. And last less than a week. It will be hard to prove that teams come at him hard. I mean if I was him.....being a 3rd string QB on a bottom feeder team,I’d probably jump at any offer I get. So that might be hard to prove. Also signing in the first week. Once again he might sign at anything he can get. Also with your confidence in him......are they signing him to be their starter? All these teams? That are coming at him hard.? Well they must be.

So you think of the specifics......and to make it interesting......no posting or coming to this site for a year? 6 months?
In before he tries to change the perimeters of the bet...wait for it.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
It was one game. He averaged 7.5 y/a vs the Browns the year before. He also came in cold without practicing as the starter as Roethlisberger was a late scratch with Covid.
hard to argue that after Pickett drafted and Mitch signed that Mason was going to be given a chance to start

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
hard to argue that after Pickett drafted and Mitch signed that Mason was going to be given a chance to start
When basically every major veteran who was asked about the Steelers QB this year didn't mention Rudolph as a potential starting option it was clear the team would be going in a different direction.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

You can try to manipulate it all you want but it is still. Only. 10. Games.
I agree it’s too early to write off Pickett. He’s only started 9 games. Maybe after 10 we can say enough is enough 😂.

I don’t know what they offered. But I do know people were inquiring. But since we likely get a low round comp for him in 2024 I understand not taking a decent pick if I was Khan.

I doubt he signs with a team to be a backup. I guarantee he gets signed to at least compete for a starting spot.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure he got a chance. They just didn't have faith in him. If you fell out of favor at work they would put more stock in others. Just the normal process of things.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I agree it’s too early to write off Pickett. He’s only started 9 games. Maybe after 10 we can say enough is enough 😂.

I don’t know what they offered. But I do know people were inquiring. But since we likely get a low round comp for him in 2024 I understand not taking a decent pick if I was Khan.

I doubt he signs with a team to be a backup. I guarantee he gets signed to at least compete for a starting spot.
Maybe we simply evaluate in different ways. I value seasons over games, you value games over seasons. Give us your break down of guys like Tua and Hurts as rookies compared to Mason.

I didn't say he'd sign to be a backup, I said he'd sign early because teams like QB depth.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

More bullshit. Conjecture from media isn't people inquiring. There was nothing floating around that named any team linked to Rudy.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure he got a chance. They just didn't have faith in him. If you fell out of favor at work they would put more stock in others. Just the normal process of things.
I think the plan the entire time was to get Pickett in as #1. Mitch or Mason was just going to be the stop gap. I think Mason handled the situation well and I wish him luck in the future unless he is playing us

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Well, I write for this site so probably can’t do that. I would say if Rudolph lasts longer than a week I have to put up a Pickett avatar and if he signs within the week you put up a Rudolph avatar. Gotta keep it up for the 2023 season.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
You say teams will come at him hard. And last less than a week. It will be hard to prove that teams come at him hard. I mean if I was him.....being a 3rd string QB on a bottom feeder team,I’d probably jump at any offer I get. So that might be hard to prove. Also signing in the first week. Once again he might sign at anything he can get. Also with your confidence in him......are they signing him to be their starter? All these teams? That are coming at him hard.? Well they must be.
I'd be stunned if he doesn't sign within the first week of free agency. Last year, I believe there were 14 quarterbacks signed the first seven days of free agency and most of them are bad quarterbacks. If a team is coming after Rudolph hard we will know because it'll either be a one-year deal for around $10 million because they want him to start, or a multi-year deal between $15-20 million as a starter. I'm not sure signing a guy to compete for a starting job qualifies as going after them "hard." Either way, he should be signed within the first week and probably within the first few days.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Yes Rudolph had 10 games, but he also wasn't a rookie. Rudolph had time to adapt to the NFL and had a season of NFL exp. Pickett is a true rookie. I don't care how old he is there is a huge difference between NFL and college. Rudolph got benched for duck hodges and was getting worse. Pickett has been improving. We have been getting alot of scoring drives, just not getting the TDs yet. Our sustained offense has been vastly improved since the off week. I think the one game Harvin only had 1 or 2 punts

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Maybe we simply evaluate in different ways. I value seasons over games, you value games over seasons. Give us your break down of guys like Tua and Hurts as rookies compared to Mason.

I didn't say he'd sign to be a backup, I said he'd sign early because teams like QB depth.
I evaluate with numbers. Rudolph has played “ok” so far in 10 games. His 2020 vs Cleveland was good. His 2021 game vs the Lions was bad. I think if he starts for us this year he either sinks or swims. If he sinks we could have went into this offseason and draft looking for a QB. Or maybe this last year we draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th and let him sit a season before we hand it over to him in 2023. If he swims then we extend him and we ride or die by his play. That didn’t happen. So I wish him luck and hope Pickett develops into a great QB. If Rudolph doesn’t become anything more than a backup then so be it. If he becomes a good starter then we screwed up. Time will tell.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

What is the guy going to offer teams looking for a starter ? a not so mobile QB that has trouble squeezing the ball in tight windows? Like you said they will add him for competition but I have no faith the guy will start... Even less faith that he will make it through a season without being benched yet again. I think he is a backup capable off the bench that can do ok here and there. I think a team putting all their chips down on him is going to be highly disappointed.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I evaluate with numbers. Rudolph has played “ok” so far in 10 games. His 2020 vs Cleveland was good. His 2021 game vs the Lions was bad. I think if he starts for us this year he either sinks or swims. If he sinks we could have went into this offseason and draft looking for a QB. Or maybe this last year we draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th and let him sit a season before we hand it over to him in 2023. If he swims then we extend him and we ride or die by his play. That didn’t happen. So I wish him luck and hope Pickett develops into a great QB. If Rudolph doesn’t become anything more than a backup then so be it. If he becomes a good starter then we screwed up. Time will tell.
I suppose I don't quite understand your criteria. You say you evaluate with numbers and call Rudolph "ok." Well, if he's just "ok" then it's time to move on because he hasn't put up good numbers. I think it's more than just numbers and believe players need time to develop and can improve from year to year.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Well, I write for this site so probably can’t do that. I would say if Rudolph lasts longer than a week I have to put up a Pickett avatar and if he signs within the week you put up a Rudolph avatar. Gotta keep it up for the 2023 season.
You can keep on writing for the home page.......just no posting?
Fan boy avatars mean nothing to me. I’ll keep my pug picture.

I think signing for in a week is too broad So....what does he make as a Steeler 3rd string QB this year?
If he signs in a week his contract should be higher than what he makes now.....probably higher than what Mitch makes.
You keep on saying he should be a starter and other teams would value him that way. So let’s come to an agreement on what they would be the minimum that he signs for. Not that he just signs with anyone for minimum. As you Said.......teams will come hard for him. In a week.
I still think 6 months or a year of not posting on here is fine.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I'd be stunned if he doesn't sign within the first week of free agency. Last year, I believe there were 14 quarterbacks signed the first seven days of free agency and most of them are bad quarterbacks. If a team is coming after Rudolph hard we will know because it'll either be a one-year deal for around $10 million because they want him to start, or a multi-year deal between $15-20 million as a starter. I'm not sure signing a guy to compete for a starting job qualifies as going after them "hard." Either way, he should be signed within the first week and probably within the first few days.
He’s not getting a 10+ million dollar deal. Who thinks that? My guess is 5 million and incentives. But I honestly think he probably just wants to go where he is wanted and where he gets an opportunity to compete. Panthers, Jets, Giants, Bucs, and Saints all could be places. Maybe even Seahawks or Patriots. I think Geno resigns with the Seahawks and I think Pats probably stick it out one more year with Jones.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I suppose I don't quite understand your criteria. You say you evaluate with numbers and call Rudolph "ok." Well, if he's just "ok" then it's time to move on because he hasn't put up good numbers. I think it's more than just numbers and believe players need time to develop and can improve from year to year.
Good= 315 2/1 and 8.08 y/a
Bad= 243 1/1 and 4.84 y/a

The funny part is that bad game would be considered a good game for Pickett 😂

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
He’s not getting a 10+ million dollar deal. Who thinks that? My guess is 5 million and incentives. But I honestly think he probably just wants to go where he is wanted and where he gets an opportunity to compete. Panthers, Jets, Giants, Bucs, and Saints all could be places. Maybe even Seahawks or Patriots. I think Geno resigns with the Seahawks and I Pats probably stick it out one more year with Jones.
If a team is coming at him hard then he's getting a good deal to be a starter. A guy like Marcus Mariota nearly got $10 million a year. If he's getting $5 million plus incentives, then teams aren't going hard after Mason and instead to be a backup or a bridge starter to a high draft pick.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Good= 315 2/1 and 8.08 y/a
Bad= 243 1/1 and 4.84 y/a

The funny part is that bad game would be considered a good game for Pickett 😂
Which do you want the Steelers to draft in the first round this year since apparently it is impossible for Pickett to improve from year 1 to year 2? Maybe we can trade him straight up for Sam Howell, lol.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the plan the entire time was to get Pickett in as #1. Mitch or Mason was just going to be the stop gap. I think Mason handled the situation well and I wish him luck in the future unless he is playing us
Even if that is the plan the better QB can hold onto a job for a decent amount of time if he plays well. Mitch didn't and Rudy didn't impress him when it mattered the most..in games.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I agree with you about a week of course. That’s a pretty easy bet. Most signings when teams” come hard” for you (sounds kind of pornish)
Are done with in a week. That’s why I believe there should be a contract minimum signed.