• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Saquon Barkley trade?

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I am re-resurrecting this because there are still rumors he will be moved. numbers Ive heard were a couple fifths or a fourth with salary retention. we have 8 mil in cap space (and a metric ton available if we move money around in case of an emergency) I say if we can get him for say, four million this year, it lets us keep Harris fresher and he is light years better than any of our backups at this point. Warren is interesting, but that's about it....

what say you all?
This would be using your backfield properly.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I am re-resurrecting this because there are still rumors he will be moved. numbers Ive heard were a couple fifths or a fourth with salary retention. we have 8 mil in cap space (and a metric ton available if we move money around in case of an emergency) I say if we can get him for say, four million this year, it lets us keep Harris fresher and he is light years better than any of our backups at this point. Warren is interesting, but that's about it....

what say you all?
After further review...

DO IT!!!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Right, but he also believes in pedigree So maybe he would Play him

In theory, Barckley would be a great addition but with his injury / end career / run till the wheels fall off coaching / is just to big of a "maybe" to spend the $$$$money$$$$ on to find out.

EDIT: Not say absolutely no but just concerned PLUS pretty sure it will not happen.!

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Here is the thing, at some point Tomlin has to look at the correlation between backs having over 300 touches and then starting to break down…then realize that its not coincidence, bodies aren’t made to take that many forced tackles, even just pulldowns… it strains muscles and ligaments in bad ways… Barkley had a superior rookie season than Harris, had fewer touches, and still started breaking down the next season… you have to spell back’s bodies…

Now maybe Warren really is a great udfa find… I’ve said before that RBs are easiest to find late or undrafted, but i have no faith we’d use him to actually spell harris.. because Tomlins history is to favor the higher perceived talent…

However I have come around to thinking that a guy like Barkley who has both pedigree and production on his resume, might change perspective on one primary back getting run into the ground, and if not he would be there for Harris’ inevitable injury this year

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Here’s a scenario for a “would you”.

Giants receive:
2023 6th round pick.
2024 Conditional 5th (based on stats/playing time)
Steelers receive:
Saquon Barkley

Giants absorb 3 million of salary. Steelers pay 4 million.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I would rather give a 4th for josh jacobs if he is on nthe trading block

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I would rather give a 4th for josh jacobs if he is on nthe trading block
I would be more apt to offer the same trade as above for Jacobs. He’s a good back but more of a grinder. Better than Snell but worse than Harris. Barkley would bring a big play element to the offense. Kind of like they hoped McFarland would do. I’d still give Harris 250 touches. I’d just spell him a bit with giving Barkley 150 touches. Could potentially get two 1,000+ yards from scrimmage backs.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I would be more apt to offer the same trade as above for Jacobs. He’s a good back but more of a grinder. Better than Snell but worse than Harris. Barkley would bring a big play element to the offense. Kind of like they hoped McFarland would do. I’d still give Harris 250 touches. I’d just spell him a bit with giving Barkley 150 touches. Could potentially get two 1,000+ yards from scrimmage backs.
agree with everything you said. it would be a great problem to have

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
I hear and agree with you but there is ONLY one problem.......... Our HC believes in running the wheels off of one player rather than "spell" them with another.

How many carries did Snell have last year as that would be Barckley's load.

Salute the nation
The difference is, Snell sucks. Barkley would get more carries if he were healthy.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The difference is, Snell sucks. Barkley would get more carries if he were healthy.

Of course Barckley is better than Snell but there yaz go and use that "IF" word. I highly doubt Najee would lose a significant amount of touches either way as our coaching staff has shown their philosophy several times over.

Pretty sure Barckley will NOT be a STEELERS this year anyways.

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Barkley was a beast, but the Giants destroyed him. He has had a lot of injuries and hard to say if he is close to the same player he was. I would not be against bringing him in for cheap, but like some said this coaching staff does not know how to use RBs. We just run the wheels off our starting RB. It would still be expensive money wise and draft wise for a backup RB. I am not totally against it, but I think we should be looking to fill other spots w/ that kinda capital.

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Here’s a scenario for a “would you”.

Giants receive:
2023 6th round pick.
2024 Conditional 5th (based on stats/playing time)
Steelers receive:
Saquon Barkley

Giants absorb 3 million of salary. Steelers pay 4 million.
So a 6th for Saquon?
Obviously I’m assuming he doesn’t cross the play time threshold and he’s just there to look good on the sidelines standing next to MT

Hopefully he doesn’t get pissed and storm off from lack of usage like someone else Blountly did!

But for a 6th hell yeah, good insurance policy

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So a 6th for Saquon?
Obviously I’m assuming he doesn’t cross the play time threshold and he’s just there to look good on the sidelines standing next to MT

Hopefully he doesn’t get pissed and storm off from lack of usage like someone else Blountly did!

But for a 6th hell yeah, good insurance policy
I wouldn’t set the bar crazy high for the 2024 5th round pick. 1,000 yards from scrimmage. Which in my opinion would be worth a 5th and 6th round pick because odds are slim your 5th and 6th ever has a thousand yards from scrimmage anyways.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Also I doubt Zeke and Barkley are ready to accept RB2 status, we do need a solid backup BAD
Barkley wouldn't have a choice and could reset his market value being a top tier #2 RB with some big plays and allow him to likely go into free agency healthy. If he plays for the Giants I doubt he has much other offensive weapons again and will likely have another down season. Then he goes into his prime year contract coming off three bad and injury plagued seasons. Might be wiser to go to a place and not be the focal point in hopes of having more options in free agency in 2023.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I wouldn’t set the bar crazy high for the 2024 5th round pick. 1,000 yards from scrimmage. Which in my opinion would be worth a 5th and 6th round pick because odds are slim your 5th and 6th ever has a thousand yards from scrimmage anyways.
Yeah, agree…that’s exactly what I was saying…they’ll never get that conditional 5th cuz we wouldn’t use him enough