• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean Payton to retire

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The right time and he is willingly stepping down. He has run his course and realizes it. CLASS ACT

I would like to see his book and thoughts on his 1 year suspension VS other known cheaters not being disciplined.

Thanks Sean for your entertainment pourposes.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
The right time and he is willingly stepping down. He has run his course and realizes it. CLASS ACT

I would like to see his book and thoughts on his 1 year suspension VS other known cheaters not being disciplined.

Salute the nation
Oh you better believe he will have a book down the road. Him stepping down isn’t because he has run his course Drink. He is stepping down because he knows he won’t be winning anytime soon as NOR are in cap hell ($75 million over with the increase). Has no QB, and has a acrimonious relationship with League Offices after his suspension. My brother is a huge CAR fan, and a nephew who is a big time ATL fan. Those fans of the NFCS teams knows Payton acrimonious relationship continues because of his treatment of officials, and boy has he treated them poorly in the past. He was warned repeatedly before getting fined a couple years ago. He has had frustration with the competition committee as has others (including Tomlin) because several recommendations have been ignored that would definitely improved the game. But the League Office doesn’t do a good job convincing owners why some change is needed.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Payton and Tomlin have such similar careers with franchise QBs, records, playoff success, etc. Payton was slightly better and was on the verge of making the playoffs without Brees until Winston got hurt. He was a huge part of that franchise and there'll be some big changes in New Orleans.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Been a mentally trying year for him. I think a year off and he will biting at the bit to return. A new team and some R and R and the guy will be primed and ready. He would look good in Black N Gold.. just a minor color scheme change. 😁

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Salute the nation
I wouldn’t classify the Saints as cheaters. They just liked to hit people and play more rough than usual.

^^^
Someone’s kink reference in 5,4,3,2….

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Been a mentally trying year for him. I think a year off and he will biting at the bit to return. A new team and some R and R and the guy will be primed and ready. He would look good in Black N Gold.. just a minor color scheme change. 😁
With the years left on his contract and the transition the team is in right now, it does seem like he needs a year to reenergize himself while making huge money broadcasting games. He'll be able to pick his job if the Saints release him from his rights or if another team provides compensation.

Bluesteel

Reaction score
Payton and Tomlin have such similar careers with franchise QBs, records, playoff success, etc. Payton was slightly better and was on the verge of making the playoffs without Brees until Winston got hurt. He was a huge part of that franchise and there'll be some big changes in New Orleans.
Difference is, Peyton didn’t inherit a SB winning team, stocked with multiple HOF’ers (Big Ben, Polamalu, Faneca, maybe Ward) and major contributors (Ward, Ike Taylor, Miller, Farrior, Hampton, Keisel).

Peyton built most of what made them a championship team and brought Brees In his 1st season as NO head coach.

So maybe similar stats, but totally different path and effort to achieving them.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Difference is, Peyton didn’t inherit a SB winning team, stocked with multiple HOF’ers (Big Ben, Polamalu, Faneca, maybe Ward) and major contributors (Ward, Ike Taylor, Miller, Farrior, Hampton, Keisel).

Peyton built most of what made them a championship team and brought Brees In his 1st season as NO head coach.

So maybe similar stats, but totally different path and effort to achieving them.
In the end it doesn't really matter how each achieved their success. It's a results-oriented business and these two were very comparable. I posted a chart of all of the coaches employed by their current team since Andy Reid was hired. Belichick and Reid were clearly at the top followed by Payton then Tomlin with Harbaugh at the bottom of this tier of coaches.

diver

Reaction score

I hate this argument with a passion. Cowher went 8-8 with those guys the year before. Tomlin was the coach in '08 and should get full credit with no asterisks attached.

I'm shooting clay birds. I borrow a guys over under and shoot a 25 with it. According to this stupid *** logic, the guy I borrowed the shotgun from should get the patch.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Wonder how this will effect Hill? Payton seemed to love the guy and he was a good gadget player but was not great at QB. I know they gave him a pretty big contract. Will be curious to see how the new coach handles that

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Wonder how this will effect Hill? Payton seemed to love the guy and he was a good gadget player but was not great at QB. I know they gave him a pretty big contract. Will be curious to see how the new coach handles that
Without knowing any salary cap implications, I would probably cut him day one.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I bet he’ll do TV until the right job comes along. A team with a young franchise QB. Maybe the Chargers will fire their analytics guy and hire a football coach for Herbert after next year.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Was never coaching properly. Would look good in the Pittsburgh black & gold

Bluesteel

Reaction score
I hate this argument with a passion. Cowher went 8-8 with those guys the year before. Tomlin was the coach in '08 and should get full credit with no asterisks attached.

I'm shooting clay birds. I borrow a guys over under and shoot a 25 with it. According to this stupid *** logic, the guy I borrowed the shotgun from should get the patch.
The logic is, the farther and farther Tomlin has gotten from the team Cowher built, and he’s “shopped for the groceries” and “prepared the meal,” it’s become slop!

If some one else shops (drafts) and someone else prepares the meal (coaches players up), then I put on the chef’s hat to serve dinner, I’ll look like a master chef. Now as I start doing the shopping and preparing and my product suggests I shouldn’t be flipping burgers at McDonald’s, there is a problem!

Having Big Ben as the final holdover, has allowed the Steelers to remain competitive through regular seasons… a future HOF’er at the most important position allows for that, but when the competition stiffens and others have to step up, they have gotten BLOWN OUT in last 4 playoff games.

The quality around Ben has dropped off drastically except for a few…. TJ, Cam, Fitzpatrick. Where are the Keisels, Farriors, Millers, Ike Taylors???

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t classify the Saints as cheaters. They just liked to hit people and play more rough than usual.

^^^
Someone’s kink reference in 5,4,3,2….

I hear yaz MTC and my point was Sean got a year suspention due to the "head coach should know what his team is doing" syndron as opposed to billichest getting no reprimand when his QB was deflating balls by claiming he knew nothing about it yet the cheating occured.

The NFL has totaly failed on dicipline right at the point of the "rog" taking over the commissioner's seat.

Salute the nation

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Exactly...

diver

Reaction score
The logic is, the farther and farther Tomlin has gotten from the team Cowher built, and he’s “shopped for the groceries” and “prepared the meal,” it’s become slop!

If some one else shops (drafts) and someone else prepares the meal (coaches players up), then I put on the chef’s hat to serve dinner, I’ll look like a master chef. Now as I start doing the shopping and preparing and my product suggests I shouldn’t be flipping burgers at McDonald’s, there is a problem!

Having Big Ben as the final holdover, has allowed the Steelers to remain competitive through regular seasons… a future HOF’er at the most important position allows for that, but when the competition stiffens and others have to step up, they have gotten BLOWN OUT in last 4 playoff games.

The quality around Ben has dropped off drastically except for a few…. TJ, Cam, Fitzpatrick. Where are the Keisels, Farriors, Millers, Ike Taylors???
Look, I think they should move on from Tomlin. He just isn't getting it done. But I just think that is a lousy argument. The chef you reference went 8-8 the year prior to Tomlin. This is not a criticism, I though the world of that chef. But it is what it is. For the year of '08, it was Tomlin who took all the ingredients and made it a gourmet meal. No one else.

I will keep saying it...stop reaching for arguments to try to justify the desire to see Tomlin replaced. I think what we see from week to week on the field, stuff that is easily seen and provable, is enough.