• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean Payton to retire

diver

Reaction score
He won a SB. He is in very select company there is no denying that but after damn near 15 years that and a ham sandwich will get you **** all. And if you feel like he is somehow close to another I have some magic beans for sale on Amazon.
And when did I ever say that? Don't make stuff up, either. And I agree a title in '08 don't mean **** now. All I am saying is he was the coach then and deserves the credit for it.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
And when did I ever say that? Don't make stuff up, either. And I agree a title in '08 don't mean **** now. All I am saying is he was the coach then and deserves the credit for it.
I don't know a single person who has ever denied he was the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers when they won that championship or won an AFC title after. He has the exact same record as Cowher for that. One win and one loss. Just reverse order.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I hate this argument with a passion. Cowher went 8-8 with those guys the year before. Tomlin was the coach in '08 and should get full credit with no asterisks attached.

I'm shooting clay birds. I borrow a guys over under and shoot a 25 with it. According to this stupid *** logic, the guy I borrowed the shotgun from should get the patch.
Apples and oranges. Cowher may have gone 8-8 in 2006 but there were still 22 of his players on Shades' 2008 SB team, 17 on the 2010 SB team, and almost the whole coaching staff. Also 2006 was the year his QB was almost killed in a motorcycle crash and as soon as he was recovered from that he had a burst appendix.
I love schooling the Tomlin nuthuggers on FB when they want to play "Tomlin Inherited An 8-8 team" with "OKay, how come Tomlin's 2008 SB team went 9-7 in 2009 and missed the playoffs?"
Fact is that Shades won everything of consequence with Cowher's core of players and staff and since the team has been all his for 12 years now he has not accomplished jack ****.
Tomlin has accomplished nothing on his own. Tomlin will never accomplish anything on his own. We've had 12 years to see that he simply isn't that good.
3 playoff wins in 12 years and I assure you that if he's here another 12 years he will have at most another 3 playoff wins.
Until he proves he can win on his own, he will always be Mediocre Mike to me.

diver

Reaction score
I don't know a single person who has ever denied he was the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers when they won that championship or won an AFC title after. He has the exact same record as Cowher for that. One win and one loss. Just reverse order.
No...you are all saying he doesn't deserve credit for it as it was a Cowher team. Well, I say bullshit on that.

Answer the question all of you who make this argument. Would you rather he lost? Hell, I'm starting to think maybe some of you would havre preferred that. Maybe they woulda fired the guy by now and he wouldn't have wasted Ben's career. (another of my favorite of the stupid arguments)

And as many of you stated, the fact that he won in '08 should have no bearing on whether he stays as coach now, after all it was 12-13 years ago. Well, should this dumb argument that is incessantly made matter 12-13 years later?

diver

Reaction score
Apples and oranges. Cowher may have gone 8-8 in 2006 but there were still 22 of his players on Shades' 2008 SB team, 17 on the 2010 SB team, and almost the whole coaching staff. Also 2006 was the year his QB was almost killed in a motorcycle crash and as soon as he was recovered from that he had a burst appendix.
I love schooling the Tomlin nuthuggers on FB when they want to play "Tomlin Inherited An 8-8 team" with "OKay, how come Tomlin's 2008 SB team went 9-7 in 2009 and missed the playoffs?"
Fact is that Shades won everything of consequence with Cowher's core of players and staff and since the team has been all his for 12 years now he has not accomplished jack ****.
Tomlin has accomplished nothing on his own. Tomlin will never accomplish anything on his own. We've had 12 years to see that he simply isn't that good.
3 playoff wins in 12 years and I assure you that if he's here another 12 years he will have at most another 3 playoff wins.
Until he proves he can win on his own, he will always be Mediocre Mike to me.
Who cares, Ron? Cmon, man, would you rather he lost?

And dammit, I think he should be fired. I have clearly stated that. I just hate this argument.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
No I don't wish they lost. It was the most exhilarating night of my life watching sports. I was at the bar with friends today and stopped talking and watched it on the screen for the last couple drives. I forgot how much peril they were in on that final drive early on after the holding call. So no I'm very glad they won and grateful that Tomlin bought a new fresh message. But I think they have needed that same fresh new message for about 6 years now.