• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

September Steelers

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, September. The air starts getting crisp. Bugs start to die off. Football returns. And the Steelers look like crap...

Not a good start to the season. Execution was sloppy. Coaching was questionable. And the Pats made it look like they scheduled their cupcake team for the first game of the season. Zero resistance. Everything worked on the NE side of the field.

I will note, the Steelers have shifted defensive strategies, and have a lot of fast, new players. They just went up against the best in week 1, and the Steelers were fooled by the more prepared team.

Want to know why the Pats are so good? It's not cheating, it's fundamentals, and they know what they can get away with.

Man press coverage, they know their receivers can cross and block with impunity at the LOS, and they do that.
New O linemen every year, yet no pressure. They keep their hands inside and hold the jersey internally, so it isn't as noticeable.
Same on the defensive side. DBs will grab, but never reach. Bump but never block, and best of all, they watch the receivers, not the QB.
LBs and DLs watch the blockers, not the RB.

Plus they know the Steelers are a young team and prone to over pursuit, so trick plays are successful, and play action looks like a trick play.

I will also add, if you're having trouble getting to the QB play after play, then magically no one is blocking you: It's a screen.

All that aside, championships are not won in September, and Tomlin has shown throughout his career, that September is his worst month. If this group of young defenders can start playing together, watching the players and not the RB/QB, and forcing the play, they will be a better team this season.

And like most Septembers with Tomlin, this will be one I do not want to remember...

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Coaching questionable? It was the worse thing about this game. We come in and try this pansy *** 2 DL scheme and allow NE to push us all over the damn field, Hargrave actually got a good push in his 3 plays he played, but hey why use him??? Brady hates pressure in his face, why the **** would we want to get Cam, Hargrave, and Tuitt out there together to pressure the middle of NE's Oline with a new center, **** no, that makes to much sense.
How many times does Tomlin have to watch Barron get smoked by White before he says, hmmm that's not working??? How many times does Edleman run wide open across the field before we try to do something different, 8 seasons???
Did we even send a blitz up the middle, did we ever try to disguise a blitz, **** no!

Offensive coaching has zero confidence in supposedly one of the best Olines in the NFL.
Trying toss plays on short yardage to a RB that's not built for that. Keeping a FB on the roster to just use on kick coverage???
Taking Vance off the field most of the game to go 5 wide, then leaving the guy that looked great in the preseason(Washington) on the sideline most of the night.

I'm done blaming the players, this Coach is absolutely clueless. He blamed the environment for not using NIX????? He said the scheme was fine at halftime. NE is up big and Belichick is still looking a pics and charts, Tomlin looks ******* clueless with his arms crossed.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, September. The air starts getting crisp. Bugs start to die off. Football returns. And the Steelers look like crap...

Not a good start to the season. Execution was sloppy. Coaching was questionable. And the Pats made it look like they scheduled their cupcake team for the first game of the season. Zero resistance. Everything worked on the NE side of the field.

I will note, the Steelers have shifted defensive strategies, and have a lot of fast, new players. They just went up against the best in week 1, and the Steelers were fooled by the more prepared team.

Want to know why the Pats are so good? It's not cheating, it's fundamentals, and they know what they can get away with.

Man press coverage, they know their receivers can cross and block with impunity at the LOS, and they do that.
New O linemen every year, yet no pressure. They keep their hands inside and hold the jersey internally, so it isn't as noticeable.
Same on the defensive side. DBs will grab, but never reach. Bump but never block, and best of all, they watch the receivers, not the QB.

Plus they know the Steelers are a young team and prone to over pursuit, so trick plays are successful, and play action looks like a trick play.

I will also add, if you're having trouble getting to the QB play after play, then magically no one is blocking you: It's a screen.

All that aside, championships are not won in September, and Tomlin has shown throughout his career, that September is his worst month. If this group of young defenders can start playing together, watching the players and not the RB/QB, and forcing the play, they will be a better team this season.

And like most Septembers with Tomlin, this will be one I do not want to remember...

Why was Watt back on the left and not on the right? why not flip sides and move guys around to create any confusion? Dupree continues to look lost on defense.

We let our best defensive player get double teamed instead of moving him around.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Why was Watt back on the left and not on the right? why not flip sides and move guys around to create any confusion? Dupree continues to look lost on defense.

We let our best defensive player get double teamed instead of moving him around.

Come on, that would require us to make adjustments, we don't do that.

Tomlin was asked last week at one of his pressers about having all offseason to prepare for NE, his response, "we're still trying to figure us out, we haven't even worried about them yet" I think he was telling the truth.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Come on, that would require us to make adjustments, we don't do that.

Tomlin was asked last week at one of his pressers about having all offseason to prepare for NE, his response, "we're still trying to figure us out, we haven't even worried about them yet" I think he was telling the truth.

And that's just it. They adjusted against us all game. We used last year's game plan against them and they shut us down. Call it like it is, we got blown out by a better, much better team.

Vader

Reaction score
This game was lost before it started. Tom is exactly right. Tomlin screwed the pooch on this one. Horrible game calling and personnel decision. Dupree is getting manhandled by a rookie making his first start. He leaves Watt on the left side to be doubled all night. Move the guy around. Make some adjustments. Stop looking like you've never seen an NFL before and coach.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever we want to label it that performance if you want to even call it that wasn't good enough. Nobody gets a pass on deserved criticism. From the top down...

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
JV football offense play calling. I do better schemes in madden

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Belichick coaches circles around everyone else in the league. It's not even his assistants because no matter who he has on staff, the get the job done. Those players know exactly what they need to do and execute it. Nothing groundbreaking, just execution.

steelhurt

Reaction score
You think Seattle isn’t going to be all over this team?Tomlin will be out coached again.
Then it’s off to the west coast where it’s time to drop one we should win.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

oicu8ad

Reaction score
Coaching questionable? It was the worse thing about this game. We come in and try this pansy *** 2 DL scheme and allow NE to push us all over the damn field, Hargrave actually got a good push in his 3 plays he played, but hey why use him??? Brady hates pressure in his face, why the **** would we want to get Cam, Hargrave, and Tuitt out there together to pressure the middle of NE's Oline with a new center, **** no, that makes to much sense.
How many times does Tomlin have to watch Barron get smoked by White before he says, hmmm that's not working??? How many times does Edleman run wide open across the field before we try to do something different, 8 seasons??? Did we even send a blitz up the middle, did we ever try to disguise a blitz, **** no!

Offensive coaching has zero confidence in supposedly one of the best Olines in the NFL.
Trying toss plays on short yardage to a RB that's not built for that. Keeping a FB on the roster to just use on kick coverage???
Taking Vance off the field most of the game to go 5 wide, then leaving the guy that looked great in the preseason(Washington) on the sideline most of the night.

I'm done blaming the players, this Coach is absolutely clueless. He blamed the environment for not using NIX????? He said the scheme was fine at halftime. NE is up big and Belichick is still looking a pics and charts, Tomlin looks ******* clueless with his arms crossed.

Tom, you hit the nail on the head. Don't forget to add in the empty back set on short yardage. WHY telegraph that a pass is coming. Keep them guessing.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Tom, you hit the nail on the head. Don't forget to add in the empty back set on short yardage. WHY telegraph that a pass is coming. Keep them guessing.
Exactly, NE sees that they send one more than we can block and press everyone else to take anything quick away

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Free Agent

Reaction score

Dupree isn't lost, he's just isn't any good. ANOTHER wasted first rounder.

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score
Tomlin has shown throughout his career, that September is his worst month.

So is December. So that's good for what........ 8 'n 8?

Steelerfan

Reaction score