• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Shamarko officially a wasted pick

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Might as well cut him. I'd start Vatrone over Allen so I'd be searching the scrap heap for a safety with upside.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Call it what you want, I'd rather have them be put the best player on the field. Half of the picks, this team and others don't work out. He had the one good game against the Packers. However, he is having trouble knowing where to be. It may get better as the season goes on. I think some of the better Defensive games they played last year were Allen and Mitchell.

Chicoman

Reaction score
2nd team behind Wil Allen

He was a 4th round pick! Unlike Uncle Jarvis was the #1 in 2013, who will go down as one of the biggest busts of the Tomlin/Colbert era of all-time!

The only reason Jones is the starting LOLB is because our front office is still trying to justify the pick! Honestly Jones should be the #3 or 4 OLB on this roster. He is not starting material at all! The game vs Buffalo should have shown you that! He can't even tackle a fullback on dump off screen pass. He's one of the softest LB'ers in Steelers history! It's a disgrace having him wear the uniform.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would love to here Porter and Harrison talk quietly about Jarvis Jones. They must really be shaking their heads.

Spike

Reaction score
Too ******* lazy to include a link or even a story?

Steelers will go with Allen at strong safety

PITTSBURGH - So much for the Steelers being concerned about safeties Shamarko Thomas and Mike Mitchell not playing together much in the preseason.

Thomas, who was expected to replace Troy Polamalu as the Steelers’ starting strong safety, said Sunday that he has been demoted and that veteran Will Allen will get the start when Pittsburgh travels to New England Thursday to open the NFL season.

“The starters are Mike Mitchell and Will Allen,” a disappointed Thomas said Sunday. “I’m just going to do my job and work.”

Thomas, a third-year safety out of Syracuse, said defensive backs coach Carnell Lake broke the news to him when he arrived at the team facility on the South Side.

“I just found out this morning,” he said. “I’m going to work and prepare and just put everything I’ve got into this. It’s God’s plan.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/art...0403/150909576

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Just was at the official website. Thomas is listed one on the depth chart. Where did you get your info?

Vader

Reaction score
Butler is playing the vet over the young guy. Where's the outrage?

Steelers1356

Reaction score
So we replace one dud with another who got torched horribly in the Jets game and is old, ho hum. At least Thomas is young, can learn and has upside potential. The coaching staff on this team has no vision.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So we replace one dud with another who got torched horribly in the Jets game and is old, ho hum. At least Thomas is young, can learn and has upside potential. The coaching staff on this team has no vision.

I hate to tell you Thomas has looked like hot garbage for the entirety of his roster stay.

Allen has shown capable of at least being a stop gap.

He simply is playing better than Sham.

Which brings me back to my biggest complaint (earlier on)

that they didn't bring a vet S in for competition....

they sat on it like Sham was going to all of a sudden show something

magic beans

that finally they are seeing as just beans

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Just was at the official website. Thomas is listed one on the depth chart. Where did you get your info?

That depth chart still has wing on it. It hasnt been updated yet

steelhurt

Reaction score
Thomas continues to struggle understanding this defense which indicates to me there's a problem with learning ability. I think the physical talent is there but not the mental and that something you can't fix. He's always out of position and away from the play. Not knowing where he's supposed to be.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Hope Allen can hold down the fort for a while. I wouldn't call Shamarko a wasted draft pick, he'll play plenty of ST's and probably be on the field in nickel-dime packages. It was just too big of a step for him, to go from hardly-playing SS to stepping into a starting role.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The news just keeps getting better.

I think it's been pretty obvious watching him this preseason that Thomas was not ready to start. This is actually good news that they are starting Allen over him. The bad news is they have no better options.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Hope Allen can hold down the fort for a while. I wouldn't call Shamarko a wasted draft pick, he'll play plenty of ST's and probably be on the field in nickel-dime packages. It was just too big of a step for him, to go from hardly-playing SS to stepping into a starting role.

And I might add, without any meaningful practice time on the field. I'm inclined to agree with Tibs. Thomas has almost no on field experience due to injuries mostly. He looks lost out there but there is no doubt in my mind that he has talent. Whether or not he can translate that into a productive player remains to be seen. He spent another pre-season watching instead of practicing, hopefully he just needs some reps.

Don't forget how long it took Gay to materialize into a dependable part of this team.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
I think it's been pretty obvious watching him this preseason that Thomas was not ready to start. This is actually good news that they are starting Allen over him. The bad news is they have no better options.

The bad news is that nearly every young player that they really need to step up....isn't stepping up.

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
If Shamarko isn't the guy fine I get that but why Allen? If that's the best we got let's call troy out of retirement. Allen is there mentally but physically he's gone. I'd rather have a potential future starter and live with the growing pains than to have a guy with no future potential.

Vader

Reaction score
And I might add, without any meaningful practice time on the field. I'm inclined to agree with Tibs. Thomas has almost no on field experience due to injuries mostly. He looks lost out there but there is no doubt in my mind that he has talent. Whether or not he can translate that into a productive player remains to be seen. He spent another pre-season watching instead of practicing, hopefully he just needs some reps.

Don't forget how long it took Gay to materialize into a dependable part of this team.

Gay had a pick in his first pre-season game. He played in 16 games his rookie year. He played more snaps in his 2nd year. He was starting by his 3rd season. Thomas hasn't done a tenth of what Gay has so far. They are absolutely nothing alike.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Gay had a pick in his first pre-season game. He played in 16 games his rookie year. He played more snaps in his 2nd year. He was starting by his 3rd season. Thomas hasn't done a tenth of what Gay has so far. They are absolutely nothing alike.

Yep, Gay flashed talent early on and showed improvement each year. Not the case with Thomas, or as was just pointed out, several of the other younger defenders on this team.