• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sharp Decline in Steeler Viewership and Attendance Declining

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Alcohol and sporting evenings don't mix. Drunk people are ******** in general. If you add in large groups of drunk ******** in the thousands, **** is going to happen. Rival team sporting events big time fights every single game.

Hell my father had his windows smashed out of his car attending a steeler game in Cleveland during the 70's just because he had Pennsylvania plates.
Dumbass people man.
I like my sports teams. But christ! I don’t know anyone on the team personally to get up in arms.

Soccer fans are the worst lol. Those wankers get into it. But most european teams do represent country - but still.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Eh, Steelers fans have high expectations and the madness would return after a few years of being at or near the bottom.
Think the Steelers will be near the bottom anytime soon? I don't see them at the top by no means. They always see to be able to do just enough to be mediocre. With wiggle room in free agency and a tendency to do fairly well in the draft I don't see that bottom level. Just a lot more of the WLWLWL pattern. So I won't have to drink heavily every other week.😁

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Think the Steelers will be near the bottom anytime soon? I don't see them at the top by no means. They always see to be able to do just enough to be mediocre. With wiggle room in free agency and a tendency to do fairly well in the draft I don't see that bottom level. Just a lot more of the WLWLWL pattern. So I won't have to drink heavily every other week.😁
8-9 seasons. I’m predicting it

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
8-9 seasons. I’m predicting it
Look and see if they play the Jags next year then you can change that 9 to 8-8 and a tie.🤓

• Haha
Reactions: MTC

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Eh, 1998-1999 wasn’t exactly the best of times. Late 80s, ugh. Think our offense struggled this year? J_E Where’s the O? years were horrible to watch with a Huey Richardson 1st round pick.

Can see us get to that point.

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Eh, 1998-1999 wasn’t exactly the best of times. Late 80s, ugh. Think our offense struggled this year? J_E Where’s the O? years were horrible to watch with a Huey Richardson 1st round pick.

My interest in the nfl(Steelers) started in the late 90’s. My dad was always a fan, but I never really cared to join him on sundays during the mid 90’s. I remember my parents throwing a super bowl xxx party, but I didn’t get it. I remember going to a bar with them and I mostly went for the buffalo wings. I didn’t question why I had to wear a Woodson or Stewart jersey. But as I got into the 4th grade 1998 and partly thanks to the waterboy movie, football piqued my interest.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

I would think of they keep every hire in house that would help increase the odds. Especially if the just stayed in house on the starting QB too. Let's see where this off-season brings us ..what it brings us.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I heard on 93.7 The Fan this morning Ron Cook and Joe Starkey talking about local viewership for Steeler games has declined 10% and that attendance continues to go down as well. People calling in to the show were pretty much all universal on why the decline. The product is not the same as it had been in the past. Undisciplined, poorly prepared, not aggressive, not the tough physical team they once were. People just feel like its the same old same old so why invest any time and money.

I will add this and this is just my opinion to be clear. When attendance continues to dwindle and now they say viewership declines, this hits Art II in his pocketbook and that is what I think will bring change. And you add in interest in the team fading somewhat, that should get his attention.
The revenue for the team won't change that much. There may be no-shows but those tickets are sold. Art The Deuce won't notice much difference in a few thousand less overpriced beers and pretzels being sold. Waiting list for tickets is 20 years long and there won't be unsold seats for a loooong time. Swag sales could see a noticeable drop though. I don't see people rushing to Dick's Sporting Goods to buy Mason Rudolph, Kendrick Greene, and Devin Bush jerseys. ****, I'll get a custom made #6 Bubby Brister first.

steelhurt

Reaction score
The revenue for the team won't change that much. There may be no-shows but those tickets are sold. Art The Deuce won't notice much difference in a few thousand less overpriced beers and pretzels being sold. Waiting list for tickets is 20 years long and there won't be unsold seats for a loooong time. Swag sales could see a noticeable drop though. I don't see people rushing to Dick's Sporting Goods to buy Mason Rudolph, Kendrick Greene, and Devin Bush jerseys. ****, I'll get a custom made #6 Bubby Brister first.
Ya I hear you Ron especially with the seats already being sold, but when let say 10 thousand no shows, that’s people that won’t be spending for parking, food, Steeler gear. That can be a noticeable drop in revenue. Plus it’s a bad look with lots of empty seats.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey! Hey! I saw a Brister #6 jersey while on a trip to ATL a couple months ago!!! He still lives in the minds of some PIT fans!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Ya I hear you Ron especially with the seats already being sold, but when let say 10 thousand no shows, that’s people that won’t be spending for parking, food, Steeler gear. That can be a noticeable drop in revenue. Plus it’s a bad look with lots of empty seats.
They’ll just turn like the mlb. Pro sports viewership has been on a decline for a few years.
The Penguins are owned by the Boston Red sox now. They sold for a nice $900 million. Mario had to. The Penguins as well as many pro sports teams lost a lot of revenue with covid

The covid lockdowns in 2020 however has shown how little pro sports matter. Add in the younger generation are not playing football anymore. **** pro soccer is a cult rise in Atlanta.

Sports like hockey and soccer are developing a cult fan base.
Sports like football and baseball, basketball which have been ingrained traditionally lose followers on lack of participation, viewership, politics etc. The mlb is in a lockout now

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw a guy at the liquor store back on new years rocking a tommy maddox jersey lol. Peeling numbers and all. **** looked homeless as hell

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
For some odd reason I don't see too many people wearing Neil O'Donnell jerseys. I bet Larry Brown has one next to his MVP trophy.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
For some odd reason I don't see too many people wearing Neil O'Donnell jerseys. I bet Larry Brown has one next to his MVP trophy.
Lol.

Yeah some people just walk through life out dated as hell. The south valley in Albuquerque, all the mexican moms still rock the 1990’s hair do’s and the looney tunes/nfl sweatshirt. Dallas
Cowboy star is not even blue anymore. Just a faded shade of gray and whatever color lgbqt will adopt in 2 years

:ROFLMAO:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
What'cha gonna do with all that cap??? Wiggle wiggle wiggle...

JP1977

Reaction score
Empty sears and loss revenue is huge and it has a way of feeding on itself with a non championship product. It is only the beginning.