• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sharp Decline in Steeler Viewership and Attendance Declining

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My problem is with the NFL itself. What Goddell is doing to the game is horrible. Moving more and more games overseas. Horrible and inconsistent officials. Inconsistent penalties/fines for players, coaches, and teams. Etc.

But, no matter how bad it temporarily gets, I will always watch my Steelers. That ain't changing. I've been watching every game (unless there is some legit reason for me to miss the game) since I was a kid. I am turning 52 and don't plan to change anytime soon.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I try to watch the Steelers every week, but if I miss a game now it really doesn't bother me all that much. It is incredibly difficult to get excited, hoping for a win to see the team come out and do the same dumb, ineffective, mid-boggling **** every week, then say "We just need to execute better" when the whole ******* planet can see that while execution is a bit of a problem, the scheme sucks and the players just aren't that good.

Mining belly lint is becoming more exciting.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The more I watch the more I associate the word SOFT to the team but more importantly to the coach.

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
oh boy, here we go, one of these threads. everyone chiming in with how little they care about football anymore, yet they'll be glued to their tv's on Sunday at 3 o'clock.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah..that. Which brings up the question of will 7 ever be issued again...

If terry bradshaw's number isn't issued then I sure as hell wouldn't think Ben's should be either.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

DITTO

When you have watched as much football as I have in the past as compared to current there is a huge drop off. I use to know the near entire NFL schedule for each week. I caught every game I could and highlights as well. Scores and more.

The product was a lot different then than it is now, for some they don't care as its all about stats / FF. Why the big advertisement push for "stat that" ???

Real football is gone and what's left is continuously watered down through player development / poor coaching / game manipulation / bravodo. Every divisional round game ended by last play of game, how is that even possible unless there is manipulation with-in the game?

So watching less and less nfl football is easy when you realize it isn't a game anymore but just entertainment and what story the league wants to write.

Salute the nation

steelhurt

Reaction score
Yeah, this came up during Dale Lolley’s Q&A session. I believe Cook mentioned PIT was ranked 29th. It’s behind a pay wall at DKSports

Lolley shot it down. I’m paraphrasing but basically PIT is one of only two teams (NYG is the other) that counts attendance by turnstile body count, and not tickets sold. In fact, all games have been sellouts for some time. For 2021 the numbers indicated PIT attendance was the highest in team history (approx 544,400). Obviously, there is one more game included for this year. But, the last year they had attendance (2019), they didn’t even break 500k. Their average for 2021 was 60,488, whereas there average in 2013 was 57,323. (Before they enclosed the open end IIRC).

I will add this notion that viewership collation is different than it was two years ago because of streaming services. So the traditional calculation is obsolete. More people use streaming and will continue to do so once the cable/Satellite mediums control of the networks expire. Fox and CBS already have their streaming services showing games and NBC and ESPN has had theirs up for a year now. AmazonPrime will carry games too. SundayTicket will be leaving DirecTV after 2022 and it’s pto able it will be through the NFL’s own streaming platform as well.

If anything, NFL Football viewership is INCREASING because of the saturation into other types of markets. I mean they are showing the games on Nickelodeon live in the format for kids. UK viewership is huge and Germany has had a huge following since NFL Europe.
Certainly some good points you mention.
I think for me it was more of the fan’s reaction when calling in to the show. It just wasn't the same for them anymore. Gone was the tough, physical in your face teams that fans had grown accustomed to. Many said team had no identity and things looked bleak.I think I only heard one caller speak negative of Tomlin. I think most folks still have that passion for the team but can’t help think it’s fading just a bit.
My own opinion is teams keeping coaches this long may not be in the best interest of that team. I think no matter who the coach or team the message can get stale. Of course you have exceptions like Belicheck and Andy Reid but it didn’t hurt that Belicheck had Brady for years and Reid has the great Patrick Mahomes.
The Steelers I think must establish their identity and build from there.Tomlin will need to establish more discipline and prepare the team better. He will also need to start trusting his coordinators especially on defense.

Aussie_Steeler

Reaction score
Bring him and they will come!

C6671-D3-F-7-BCE-45-E7-8162-74473-BF0-F5-E3-thumb-jpeg-d0beaaf091092a67d66cfa14428151b2.jpg
Doubt he will come though - Steelers offence (and possibly secondary) seems to be in rebuild mode and Rodgers has said he isn't interested in being involved in a rebuild (in the context that Green Bay may have to rebuild due to salary cap issues and pending free agents).

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bring him and they will come!

C6671-D3-F-7-BCE-45-E7-8162-74473-BF0-F5-E3-thumb-jpeg-d0beaaf091092a67d66cfa14428151b2.jpg
For 2 years and an extended trip to cap-hell. That's IF he doesn't hit the cliff as well. He is 37 or 38 you know...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
oh boy, here we go, one of these threads. everyone chiming in with how little they care about football anymore, yet they'll be glued to their tv's on Sunday at 3 o'clock.
In 2018, I watched every game of the season, either televised or streaming.

By 2021, I had developed a philosophy where missing a game wasn't necessarily a bad thing. If they blew chunks, I didn't have to watch it. If they played really well, I could go watch the highlights.

More and more, that's becoming a really attractive approach with this team.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In no way, shape or form should the Steelers be considering anyone like Rodgers. We need our cap space and our draft picks (and a few more high picks) to rebuild the team for the future.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Certainly some good points you mention.
I think for me it was more of the fan’s reaction when calling in to the show. It just wasn't the same for them anymore. Gone was the tough, physical in your face teams that fans had grown accustomed to. Many said team had no identity and things looked bleak.I think I only heard one caller speak negative of Tomlin. I think most folks still have that passion for the team but can’t help think it’s fading just a bit.
My own opinion is teams keeping coaches this long may not be in the best interest of that team. I think no matter who the coach or team the message can get stale. Of course you have exceptions like Belicheck and Andy Reid but it didn’t hurt that Belicheck had Brady for years and Reid has the great Patrick Mahomes.
The Steelers I think must establish their identity and build from there.Tomlin will need to establish more discipline and prepare the team better. He will also need to start trusting his coordinators especially on defense.
Yeah…”in your face” football is getting filtered out by the Goodell method though. The game isn’t close to what it was 20 years ago. Goodell’s watch was to “expand”, and ”increase revenue streams”. Of which he’s been successful……but to lessening the product IMO.

Oh yeah Hurt, if you’ve read or listened to Cook for a while you pick up he cherishes prescribing to pessimistic content. Not just Steelers either. Andy was pretty good before Mahomes. He had McNabb as well. Philly fans are insufferable though.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/QUF1D4DNdMpnlRS597" width="480" height="400" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

^^^ This is a double Yoi!

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Reid has lead two franchises to the Super Bowl during his career to this point..

To me ....that says all that needs to be said about a Head Coaches ability to lead men and create championship type game plans....no matter who the QB's are..

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Means nothing I know but my wife and I had for years drove from Raleigh twice a year to watch Steelers. We supported the vendors, motels, restaurants. we enjoyed it win or lose loved going early and watching the tailgaters and stayed to the very end just enjoying the atmosphere. We stopped two years ago it became not much fun. Fans seemed to lose respect for ones around them, fans more concerned to see stats posted for fantasy teams. The game was stopped so many times it just became boring. Stand in lines to be checked with German shepherds standing on the leash, just lost its appeal. The cost was terrific for the product and experience. Now the Steelers have just lost a lot of the identity of the different characters we watched. The game has become less important more about all the controversy of the players, refs, announcers whatever. Godel and his henchman of how they have handled all the bad boys or rather not handled the bad boys. When Brown became the poster child for the NFL that alone was enough. Then throw in all the lecturing about race, players a different ***** to take knee every week, slogans on their helmets, just lost the game for what it once was. You watch the style play every player getting in someone face. extra pushing , kicking spitting on and on. Now the Steeler fans myself included have gone threw the finger pointing of who is the cause, ownership that seems to not want to move on and bring some fresh eyes to this team. Listening to the post game the frustration of a team that is not competitive ( you realize this more and more when you watch other teams play). The game itself has become less and less football with all the rules and how they are enforced. I see why fans are turning off, sad to say.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Means nothing I know but my wife and I had for years drove from Raleigh twice a year to watch Steelers. We supported the vendors, motels, restaurants. we enjoyed it win or lose loved going early and watching the tailgaters and stayed to the very end just enjoying the atmosphere. We stopped two years ago it became not much fun. Fans seemed to lose respect for ones around them, fans more concerned to see stats posted for fantasy teams. The game was stopped so many times it just became boring. Stand in lines to be checked with German shepherds standing on the leash, just lost its appeal. The cost was terrific for the product and experience. Now the Steelers have just lost a lot of the identity of the different characters we watched. The game has become less important more about all the controversy of the players, refs, announcers whatever. Godel and his henchman of how they have handled all the bad boys or rather not handled the bad boys. When Brown became the poster child for the NFL that alone was enough. Then throw in all the lecturing about race, players a different ***** to take knee every week, slogans on their helmets, just lost the game for what it once was. You watch the style play every player getting in someone face. extra pushing , kicking spitting on and on. Now the Steeler fans myself included have gone threw the finger pointing of who is the cause, ownership that seems to not want to move on and bring some fresh eyes to this team. Listening to the post game the frustration of a team that is not competitive ( you realize this more and more when you watch other teams play). The game itself has become less and less football with all the rules and how they are enforced. I see why fans are turning off, sad to say.
It’s a good point when you talk about the game being stopped so many times when you are there watching it live. It does get boring. Tv has thrown in so many commercials,the league has thrown in so many penalties,the ebb and flow of the game has definitely been compromised. At home,you go to the fridge,bathroom,flip channels. Different when you are actually at the game. Don’t know what the answer is. The billions television throws at the NFL is not going to stop. TV or streaming dictates the game.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Different when you are actually at the game.
Especially when it's 20 ******* degrees out.

Reactions: JMM

Stewey

Reaction score
In no way, shape or form should the Steelers be considering anyone like Rodgers. We need our cap space and our draft picks (and a few more high picks) to rebuild the team for the future.
Like Ben, Rodgers is a millionaire and near retirement.
Rodgers would come here at a bargain price for the opportunity to play for one of the greatest NFL coaches!

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
It does mean something. Lots of money lost for the city.

We went to Baltimore to see Ben's last game. My son decided it was the idea, because, as he said "I doubt that I will ever want to go see a game again, anyway."

Sad.