• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should Haskins make the 53 man?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Simple answer, no. Why, you might ask. First I didn’t see any reason why a character concern such as himself that played mediocre wouldn’t clear waivers for the practice squad. Secondly, keeping Haskins means one of these guys doesn’t make the team and all of these guys make our team better now.
Anthony Johnson
Kevin Rader
Zach Gentry
Kalen Ballage
Benny Snell
Isaiah Buggs
Isaiahh Loudermilk
Ulysees Gilbert
Buddy Johnson
Jamir Jones
Tre Norwood
Miles Killebrew
Shakur Brown

All of those players have shown that they can and will contribute now. Haskins hasn’t shown he will or even can. I feel Haskins or Dobbs (maybe both) clear waivers and can sit on the PS unless injury forces our hands. The best players should make the 53 man and Haskins definitely isn’t one of them.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
No. I don't see any heir to BB even on the team anyway. Practice squad for sure.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Last night was what was needed. I see them parting ways with Dobbs (who may have a future in coaching). Turf toe is something he may struggle with on the field. Haskins got the test he needed. At best the 3rd stringer or practice squad. I wouldn’t be surprised if they pick up another QB off the waiver wires.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Haskins definately did NOT help his cause last night. PS is an option thus freeing up a spot. I don't see Ben's replacement on the team but then think about this....................................... How do you randomly replace a HOF QB that has an entire career of greatness here being a PITTSBURGH STEELERS.

YOU DON"T and there are some who think this is an everyday occurrance, easy to find, replaement. Many have wanted BEN gone for quite some time now, thankfull our coaching staff doesn't think that way.

I'm not saying we can't find Ben's replacement but if we truely are to find the quality replacement to live up to or accomplish near what BEN has, there will be some PAIN involved.

Salute the nation

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
It’s funny how a guy can go from he could be our #2 to he should be cut. Haskins isn’t going anywhere this year. Yes, he had a bad game but has had a good training camp and good games leading up to this last one. He’s got a lot of developing to do and think they will let him sit this year and learn some more. For the record, I honestly could care less what happens because we are talking about a 3rd string QB but usually those are reserved for guys like Haskins. Physical tools are there but not ready to be counted on.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
We'll know on Tuesday, and I trust them to make the right decision. As others have said, Ben's long term replacement is not on this team, and if he gets hurt this year, the season goes with it.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I think Haskins makes the team, but he looked bad yesterday. The Eagles got Minshew for a 6th round pick who i think is much better than any of our backups.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
What we learned from Friday's games

Not everyone thinks Haskins sucked last night. I think he struggled mightily but if Josh is hurt Dwayne is safe...
I wouldn’t call that a glowing review.

“Haskins is not starting-lineup ready, but he's making incremental progress, which is all you can expect from him at this point.”

I can agree with this assessment. I think a season on the practice squad and developing would humble him and help him get some seasoning and maturity.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
What we learned from Friday's games

Not everyone thinks Haskins sucked last night. I think he struggled mightily but if Josh is hurt Dwayne is safe...
I think this is true… Haskins is what he is… a longer developmental project than people wanted to believe he was… with Dobbs hurt, he will make the roster for sure but I don’t think he sees the field unless in an emergency…

the Steelers really should have grabbed a qb in the draft. This years crop was extremely deep and i think next years is going to be slim pickings

even if ben comes back next year qbs sometimes take three years or so to be ready… better to have more than keep

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you keep 3 QBs yes. But the last game did him no favors if they decide to cut bait. I am ok with keeping two QBs and stashing a third on the PS. Not sure the FO does that but probably what I would do.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Haskins makes the team, but he looked bad yesterday. The Eagles got Minshew for a 6th round pick who i think is much better than any of our backups.
Minshew was a steal for the Eagles. His cap hit is under a million for both this season and next, unlike the bloated cap numbers of $2.2 mill in 2021 and $4.3 mill in 2022 for Rudolph. The guy had 37 touchdowns with only 11 interceptions -- with a ****** Jacksonville team.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If you keep 3 QBs yes. But the last game did him no favors if they decide to cut bait. I am ok with keeping two QBs and stashing a third on the PS. Not sure the FO does that but probably what I would do.

EXCELLENT choice as Haskins play last night makes it even unlikelier he would get robbed off the PS. Dobbs as well but ONLY keep one of the two.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Minshew was a steal for the Eagles. His cap hit is under a million for both this season and next, unlike the bloated cap numbers of $2.2 mill in 2021 and $4.3 mill in 2022 for Rudolph. The guy had 37 touchdowns with only 11 interceptions -- with a ****** Jacksonville team.

I hear what you are saying but "spilt milk" at this point.

Maybe a caliber QB shows up on waivers after cuts and if we have any money left to spend. I think FO (front office) is set withQBs for this season.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Spilt milk, Loudermilk.
I’m talking to you Cope
Did you say he was going to break down his preseason?

Reactions: MTC

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying but "spilt milk" at this point.

Maybe a caliber QB shows up on waivers after cuts and if we have any money left to spend. I think FO (front office) is set withQBs for this season.

Salute the nation
I don't know about spilt milk -- the Steelers were never in the market for Minshew or any other backup quarterback as soon as they chose to give Rudolph the extension. Evidently they have a lot more confidence in him than many fans do.

I just think Minshew is better and cheaper, and the Eagles made a good move for a sixth round pick. Mullens was horrendous as their #3.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Simple answer, no. Why, you might ask. First I didn’t see any reason why a character concern such as himself that played mediocre wouldn’t clear waivers for the practice squad. Secondly, keeping Haskins means one of these guys doesn’t make the team and all of these guys make our team better now.
Anthony Johnson
Kevin Rader
Zach Gentry
Kalen Ballage
Benny Snell
Isaiah Buggs
Isaiahh Loudermilk
Ulysees Gilbert
Buddy Johnson
Jamir Jones
Tre Norwood
Miles Killebrew
Shakur Brown

All of those players have shown that they can and will contribute now. Haskins hasn’t shown he will or even can. I feel Haskins or Dobbs (maybe both) clear waivers and can sit on the PS unless injury forces our hands. The best players should make the 53 man and Haskins definitely isn’t one of them.
Browns already cut. Many of those players like Snell are redundant. Bugs and Gilbert are disappointments. Radar or Gentry will make it. There are positional requirements. Ypu don't get to keep the top 53 in camp.