• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should the Steelers draft a kicker in rounds 6 or 7?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
From Walter football

[FONT=&quot]Matt Gay, K, Utah
Height: 6-1. Weight: 220.
Projected Round (2019): 5-7. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
12/22/18: Gay is 24-of-29 thus far in 2018 with a long of 55 yards.

8/30/18: Gay was very accurate for Utah in 2017, connecting on 88 percent of his field goals (30-of-34). He had a long field goal of 56 yards, which he made twice. Gay also had field goals of 53 and 50 yards. He missed twice in the 40-yard range.

College stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-gay-2.html

**Coach's notes: He's 85 for 85 on extra points, and 56 for 65 ( 86.2 % ) on Field goals with a leg that extends to 56 yards, and likely beyond.** IMO Boswell's confidence is shot, the guy we brought in was very shaky, even though he went 3-3. Spending a 6th or 7th round pick on a guy like this might be the way to go.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

So you think Boswell will rebound? Do you just want a plan B rookie free agent?

A bad kicker can quickly cost you games as we saw.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
If the kicker is good enough definitely worth a draft pick. kickers can become the team's leading scorer.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No (3 Characters)

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach, This kid will be around after the draft as a free agent. Get him then. Some here have said take position players even with late round picks, I agree as remember we got AB in the sixth.

You are right in addressing the "kicker" position but UNLESS a STAND OUT, FA is how we will handle the need.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
The best kicker is available in the last round I would be ok with it.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Who knows, we could use an upgrade at K and P.

My sense is the draft isn't the way to go. Bring in as many players as possible through mini-camp and Latrobe, cycle them through if need be, until you have a couple that can go head to head for the job.

Hopefully, we'll have a new ST coach to oversee the process.

I am bummed out about the season Boswell had. It looked like we finally had a young, dependable kicker locked up for years. He was so clutch last year, won plenty of games, made plenty of critical FG's. Lord knows what happened to him...perhaps something phsyical, or something psychological, or maybe both.

My best guess is we'll have a new kicking/punting tandem for next season. I hope they turn over every stone to find something better, and more dependable, than what we had this year.

Sorry Boz, you were the man, but kicking is a high-stakes game. Kind of like with doctors, you can't be a heart surgeon and keep ******* up surgeries. Either you get the job done right, or you will be replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMM

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Who knows, we could use an upgrade at K and P.

My sense is the draft isn't the way to go. Bring in as many players as possible through mini-camp and Latrobe, cycle them through if need be, until you have a couple that can go head to head for the job.

Hopefully, we'll have a new ST coach to oversee the process.

I am, actually, was, so bummed out about the season Boswell had. It looked like we finally had a young, dependable kicker locked up for years. He was so clutch last year, won plenty of games, made plenty of critical FG's. Lord knows what happened to him...perhaps something phsyical, or something psychological, or maybe both.

My best guess is we'll have a new kicking/punting tandem for next season. I hope they turn over every stone to find something better, and more dependable, than what we had this year.

Sorry Boz, you were the man, but kicking is a high-stakes game. Kind of like with doctors, you can't be a heart surgeon and keep ******* up surgeries. Either you get the job done right, or you will be replaced.

Just depends on what talent is there in 7 staring at you. How many other teams might be looking at a particular kicker? That is just getting the jump on them. As I think Boz needs replaced. No way you can have confidence in him moving forward.

Sevenisheaven

Banned
Reaction score
Considering we would have made the playoffs alone by having an AVERAGE kicker this year they should have one on the practice dauae........we keep guys on there that never see any time so why not two kickers on the team when it's such an important position... . We should have had a kicker ready to go halfway through the season

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
we definitely need another kicker in camp. I would give Boz a shot to work through whatever. If he struggles in preseason then he should be done instantly.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
we definitely need another kicker in camp. I would give Boz a shot to work through whatever. If he struggles in preseason then he should be done instantly.

The thing that struck me later on in the season - amidst all of his struggles, which were downright pathetic - was listening to the game announcers say how Boz was struggling mightily during warm-ups even an hour before the game. It seems his issues were less mental than perhaps we all thought. My initial reaction was he got a big, fat contract and it all went to his head, or something. Given that he was IR'd and had groin surgery at the end of the year, maybe something wasn't right with him for much of the season. And if that's the case, that's embarrasing, and a downright failure by the trainers and coaching staff to not identify such an injury. Maybe he got hurt late, when he slipped on that failed game winner in Oakland, I don't know. But something happened to Boz this year, akin to getting kidnapped by aliens. He was as steady and dependable as you would ever want a kicker to be....then it all came crashing down, almost overnight. So disappointing, just a poignant example of what a ****** up season this was.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. At least 2. And throw a few punters in also.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The thing that struck me later on in the season - amidst all of his struggles, which were downright pathetic - was listening to the game announcers say how Boz was struggling mightily during warm-ups even an hour before the game. It seems his issues were less mental than perhaps we all thought. My initial reaction was he got a big, fat contract and it all went to his head, or something. Given that he was IR'd and had groin surgery at the end of the year, maybe something wasn't right with him for much of the season. And if that's the case, that's embarrasing, and a downright failure by the trainers and coaching staff to not identify such an injury. Maybe he got hurt late, when he slipped on that failed game winner in Oakland, I don't know. But something happened to Boz this year, akin to getting kidnapped by aliens. He was as steady and dependable as you would ever want a kicker to be....then it all came crashing down, almost overnight. So disappointing, just a poignant example of what a ****** up season this was.

Yep a lot of failed decisions a long the way and that is just focusing in on him.

Moving forward even if he had a good camp, do you really trust him to never have another long stretch of suck? By then all the decent options are sucked up by teams.

Yeah for me I don't even want him back in camp. Cut their loss and move on.

MWeaver

Reaction score
From Walter football

[FONT=&quot]Matt Gay, K, Utah
Height: 6-1. Weight: 220.
Projected Round (2019): 5-7. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
12/22/18: Gay is 24-of-29 thus far in 2018 with a long of 55 yards.

8/30/18: Gay was very accurate for Utah in 2017, connecting on 88 percent of his field goals (30-of-34). He had a long field goal of 56 yards, which he made twice. Gay also had field goals of 53 and 50 yards. He missed twice in the 40-yard range.

College stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-gay-2.html

**Coach's notes: He's 85 for 85 on extra points, and 56 for 65 ( 86.2 % ) on Field goals with a leg that extends to 56 yards, and likely beyond.** IMO Boswell's confidence is shot, the guy we brought in was very shaky, even though he went 3-3. Spending a 6th or 7th round pick on a guy like this might be the way to go.

Poor kid they brought in would be a little shaky just being there3 days, and playing such a big game in national TV! But does not have the leg on kickoffs either!

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I’d definitely get an undrafted free agent as a high priority. Maybe 7th if a guy you feel was a 4th was still around. I hope Bos gets his head right and comes back next year but I do feel a good FO has a contingency plan. I feel a rookie is riskier but cheaper than bringing in a seasoned Vet. McCrane I’d invite to camp but dude has no leg. He’s not hitting any 50 yarders.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep a lot of failed decisions a long the way and that is just focusing in on him.

Moving forward even if he had a good camp, do you really trust him to never have another long stretch of suck? By then all the decent options are sucked up by teams.

I know I'm not there everyday to see the going on but unless there was a season long injury (which would be a fail to the trainer), then I wouldn't want him back either. Soiled lettuce never gets good again and I'm afraid BOZ is outa sandwiches.......

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The guy stepped up when needed. As you said no leg, I wouldn't give him a camp invite.

Not good enough for invite to camp. Unless he was Magicaly drinking TB12 all off season and gained 20+ yards on his leg stregnth, then and only then, you invite him and his cooler full of TB12......

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would have to know the inside story on this one. If it was s physical issue I'd bring in a FA kicker. Justin Yoon Notre Dame probably is on the edge of draft /FA. If it was mental, I dont even bring Bos back. You cant have that shot to be an issue. I draft one in the 6th or 7th.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score

If he has a good camp, and looks like the Bos that earned himself his contract extension, then absolutely you keep him and absolutely have confidence in him... besides, there are TONS of options out there for kickers. The fact that the Steelers only brought in two, was a disgrace. I get that they wanted someone with IN GAME kicking experience, being that it was late in the season, but there were much better options out there, and still are. Kickers and punters are out there, they just need to be given a chance. Bos himself knows this. He was cut twice (Texans, Giants), and was our FOURTH kicker in 2015.

Spike

Reaction score
I have no faith this coaching staff even knows what a good kicker looks like, so no, dont trust their scouts to pick one, find a handfull of FAs tryout, not waste more draft picks