• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Shout-out to Dan Moore

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I posted a couple weeks ago that Dan Moore was not doing his job, not beating defenders to the spot, being driven into the backfield on pass blocking. Time to observe that he improved massively this past Sunday vs. the Broncos. Just two plays give us an example.

Watch here as Moore beats the defender to the spot and completely neutralizes him on a run up the middle. Moore's positioning and hand use drives #53 completely out of the play.

EBD0EABE_415B_430B_A718_495C1DEEA148.gif

Here, Moore - who is 6'5", 315 lbs. - blocks a LB'er in open space, using his very long reach to do the job. Rare to see an offensive lineman block this effectively one-on-one in open space like this:

21w5_1_0143_Gentry_catch_Canada.gif

Moore's pass blocking was also improved as he set the edge very effectively. The one sack-fumble is not really on him as he drove the pass rusher well beyond Ben, who then rolled to his right rather than stepping up, giving the defender an avenue to get to him.

Kudos to Moore. Feel a lot better about the line after watching this game.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Big Dan will be fine. After all, he’s a rookie starting at the most crucial position on the OL and he’s surrounded by young players. He just needs some time and will continue to get better.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I feel Ben is taking the brunt of the growing pains for this offensive line which will hopefully continue to grow and improve just to be nicely handed over to Rudolph.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Banner starts practicing. Possibly foretelling a switch at not only RT, but also moving Chuks back to LT (didn't say it was a good idea).
All of the sudden Chuks and Moore have their best games of the year. Coincidence? Maybe ... but, I think not. Funny how when the next guy is available to take your starting job, you focus a little more. Give that extra attention to detail and perform better.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Moore needs to stay, continuity is built. You can't go switching this OL around like a checkers game. If Okafor is true the best option then so be it but Moore has been proving himself with each game by getting better and better.

Salute the nation

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Unless Chuks is much better at LT than Moore (which he definitely is NOT), then you leave Moore at LT. He has much better upside. Put Banner in at RT. Chuks can back them up.

Agreed. The Steelers have a potential anchor at LT with a 4th round pick. He has improved drastically in week 5 compared to weeks 3 & 4. He will get better and allow the team to man a very important and often expensive position well-below average cost.

Let Banner take over at RT. If he struggles, Chuks replaces him. Chuks gives the team the extra O-lineman for short yardage and the benefit of a backup experienced at both tackle positions.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Banner starts practicing. Possibly foretelling a switch at not only RT, but also moving Chuks back to LT (didn't say it was a good idea).
All of the sudden Chuks and Moore have their best games of the year. Coincidence? Maybe ... but, I think not. Funny how when the next guy is available to take your starting job, you focus a little more. Give that extra attention to detail and perform better.
I don't see Moore losing his spot.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see Moore losing his spot.
Ahhh, I didn't say I though he would lose his spot. What I was trying to say was the internal (self) perception that Banner coming back might make his job security tenuous with subpar play seems to have motivated both he and Chuks to pick up the level of their play. And, that's a good thing.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Funny how when the next guy is available to take your starting job, you focus a little more. Give that extra attention to detail and perform better.

That **** ultimately falls on the coaches IMO. Infuriating sometimes.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It was also the first time in a long time the Steelers felt like they actually committed to the ground game. I don't know what they did in the week leading up to the Broncos game, but it worked and it is what they should have done all offseason. It was beautiful to see Najee having open space to run.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well that and reps. Continuing reps with a talented player should normally bring improvement. Both Green and Moore have done that slowly improved their performances. I expect that to continue even if it is baby steps.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That **** ultimately falls on the coaches IMO. Infuriating sometimes.

It's those little things that drive me EFFFinN crazy. I realize we aren't there on a day to day but I just see to many things to think basic Coaching is non existent.

Salute the nation

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
You don't see a large sample size there obviously, but Zach Gentry is turning out to be an asset as a TE.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You don't see a large sample size there obviously, but Zach Gentry is turning out to be an asset as a TE.

I think he is getting experience and showing improvement while doing so. The rest of the young guys are doing so as well.

I'd step out and say Ebron will NOT be invited back come spring.

Salute the nation

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Gentry is playing well. He can block. He knows the offense. One play, I was watching him get everyone on his side of the line lined up properly. He can catch and he's a huge target at 6'-8". I see no reason they aren't using their tall guys in the redzone and throwing it up for them so only they have a chance at it. We have Gentry, Muuuth, Claypool, JuJu before he got hurt is 6'-1" I believe and even Ebron if he holds onto the ball. You need at least 2 of those guys on the field every time you're in the redzone. Then you have Diontae, Harris and JuJu (again before he got hurt) underneath. Our schemes and play calls have just been horrible. Hopefully, they will get better.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Gentry is playing well. He can block. He knows the offense. One play, I was watching him get everyone on his side of the line lined up properly. He can catch and he's a huge target at 6'-8". I see no reason they aren't using their tall guys in the redzone and throwing it up for them so only they have a chance at it. We have Gentry, Muuuth, Claypool, JuJu before he got hurt is 6'-1" I believe and even Ebron if he holds onto the ball. You need at least 2 of those guys on the field every time you're in the redzone. Then you have Diontae, Harris and JuJu (again before he got hurt) underneath. Our schemes and play calls have just been horrible. Hopefully, they will get better.

Canada just showed he is capable to call a decent game and the entire team showed they are capable to a degree. We need to find consistency in that respect.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Canada just showed he is capable to call a decent game and the entire team showed they are capable to a degree. We need to find consistency in that respect.

Salute the nation
True. And I liked the throw to Claypool for the TD. Ben threaded it between 2 defenders and put it up high so Claypool had the best chance to get it if the defenders got there in time. They need more of that in the redzone. Still haven't seen a corner shot to the back of the endzone. We definitely have the players to do it.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
True. And I liked the throw to Claypool for the TD. Ben threaded it between 2 defenders and put it up high so Claypool had the best chance to get it if the defenders got there in time. They need more of that in the redzone. Still haven't seen a corner shot to the back of the endzone. We definitely have the players to do it.

Totally agree and the back of the end zone corner should be a big play used a hell of a lot more. The high throw too. Frankly though, Ebron is a 50/50 deal where as all the other players mentioned are way better than that.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, you let Banner be the man at RT
move Chuks to RG
Send Turner to the far end of the bench

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, you let Banner be the man at RT
move Chuks to RG
Send Turner to the far end of the bench
Chuks at RG? Please explain. Doesn't seem to have "DOG" in him to man that position.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score