• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Slippery Rock QB Roland Rivers III.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
Slppery Rock QB Roland Rivers III has accepted an invite to Steelers Rookie Mini-Camp. I'm not going to anoint the guy the next Steelers QB but he is an interesting prospect from a Division II school with all the physical tools. When I watch his game tape 2 things really stand out to me are his arm strength and the accuracy of his throws....he puts the football where only his guy can make a play on the ball. As for his deep throws they are sweet looking always hitting his WR's in stride. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it through rookie mini-camp and sign with the Steelers. Watch his highlight reel here....

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
My mom went to Slippery Rock for a few years before transferring to WV. My cousin played OT for them for a few years as well. Those kind of schools you can find absolute diamonds in the rough.

You just have to look for them and then polish them into gems.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I like how he is continously looking down field even when the pocket collapses. He does have good arm stregnth but how that transfers to the NFL is yet to be seen. NFL DBs are tougher and faster. The STEELERS made the right move to bring him in and check him out. Haskins might have a little competition for the 3rd spot.

EDIT: I'm not counting DOBBS out either, a 3-way competition for 3rd spot.

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
He throws a nice enough deep ball. One thing I noticed is that most of the passes they show in the highlight video are arcing deep tosses. Would be nice to have seen him throw some "frozen rope" types. NFL windows aren't as big as they are in Div. ll.
Yet and still, an interesting guy to follow and see how he does during training camp if he makes it that far. Could just be they needed an arm for rookie camp.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the team said no to any voluntary activities. Does that mean no rookie camp and no OTA's? There may be some sort of rookie minicamp but definitely no OTA's. So, we go straight to camp and pre-season. Of course, the whiney players didn't want to have non-contact stuff but then showed up the next day to the facility to work out. This was all discussed in its own thread a couple weeks ago.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I personally feel Rudolph and Dobbs win #2 and #3. I have no faith in Haskins pulling his head out of his ***. This kid could show enough to make the PS especially to pretend to be LaMarr twice a year for ravens week.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Wish him the best but the numbers are definitely not in his favor. His best shot of making the roster is Haskins wins the 3 and then he can crack the ps
Definitely think I higher level of competition will show his flaws...I’m no scout but saw several things that would concern me vs bigger, faster more instinctive opponents.

Best of luck to the camp arm

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Leave no stone unturned. A DB from the University of Saskatchewan was drafted second overall in the CFL draft. People I know in the know feel he would have gotten an NFL look had he been allowed to participate in the East West Shrine Game.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I personally feel Rudolph and Dobbs win #2 and #3. I have no faith in Haskins pulling his head out of his ***. This kid could show enough to make the PS especially to pretend to be LaMarr twice a year for ravens week.
Haskins isn’t a running qb... actually he hasn’t been much of anything yet

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers finally got their Rivers! Albeit the wrong one.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Saw him play at Clarion in 2018, not bad threw 3 td's 2 ints

fogdoctor

Reaction score
This is the video I was sent last year. It is him working on basic QB stuff.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
I'm done with Rudolph and I share your opinion on Haskins. If Ben goes down we are ****** anyway so I would keep Dobbs and the Rivers.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Mason #2. Haskins or Rivers at #3. Dobbs game against the Raiders in '18 was one game too many for me. Still can't figure out why they brought him back.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Mason #2. Haskins or Rivers at #3. Dobbs game against the Raiders in '18 was one game too many for me. Still can't figure out why they brought him back.
Yeah that was a head scratcher too me too. The only thing I can figure is he knows the system, Ben likes him.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He throws a nice enough deep ball. One thing I noticed is that most of the passes they show in the highlight video are arcing deep tosses. Would be nice to have seen him throw some "frozen rope" types. NFL windows aren't as big as they are in Div. ll.
Yet and still, an interesting guy to follow and see how he does during training camp if he makes it that far. Could just be they needed an arm for rookie camp.

I hear what you are saying but the $25,000 rookie camp bonus seems to be more like a guarantee he makes TC

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I like his style of play. Like IRON CITY said, he’s always looking downfield. He’s big, extends plays...hmmm, looks familiar. I wish him luck!

My worry is the Division 2 competition. NFL DBs are bigger and faster so there won't be as much "leg" room on his throws. Short stuff might be OK but the 20yards down field bullet is what I'm speculating on and don't forget the OUT throw.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Haskins isn’t a running qb... actually he hasn’t been much of anything yet
…so? I don’t care what he is or isn’t I don’t think he’s on the team 4 months from now. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does something stupid before training camp starts and gets cut.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I'm done with Rudolph and I share your opinion on Haskins. If Ben goes down we are ****** anyway so I would keep Dobbs and the Rivers.
Steelers have are loyal to a fault sometimes. Look at Jarvis Jones and to a lesser extent Terrell Edmunds.