• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

SN Quick Inside Slant: Joe Schobert

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I read today they are taking on the 7 mil the total amount which would mean they would need to tweak his contact.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice work, Cope!

Great blurb by Labriola on the job Colbert's done in prying away players from first-year HC's around the league. Pretty amazing set of circumstances, if you think about it. Works out well for a team like the Steelers, who otherwise aren't big players in FA.

So many times, these kinds of too-good-to-be-true offers involve a player with a fatal flaw. Either he's too old, or discontented with his contract, or unhappy with his role-to-be, or a locker room lawyer, or coming off a significant injury, or he's a jerk. Schobert is none of those things, but another thing he is not is he wasn't hand-picked by new coach Urban Meyer, and history shows that first-year, first-time NFL coaches prefer to surround themselves with coaches and players who fall under the category of "their guys."

This phenomenon that's attached to first-year and/or rookie head coaches is a sufficiently common occurrence throughout the NFL, and the Steelers instruct their young scouts to keep an eye on those teams in that situation because bargains often become available.

Just in recent Steelers history, as examples, Minkah Fitzpatrick became available in Brian Flores first year as the coach of the Miami Dolphins; Dwayne Haskins became available in Ron Rivera's first year as the coach of the Washington Football Team; and Joe Haden became available at the start of Hue Jackson's second season as coach of the Cleveland Browns, but after a 1-15 record in his rookie season on the job, Jackson likely was feeling the heat.

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Schobert for a 6th round pick is such a steal. I hope Colbert used lube and bought the Jags dinner first.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I can't say I was ecstatic when they traded up to get him, I scratched my head and just figured there must be something they really liked about him. So far so good.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Colbert has been aggressive in recent years after falling into a period of status quo. Especially on defensive side of ball.

I totally agree and also say it's about time.!!

Colbert has changed in the last few years from non-aggressive to pretty agressive. I like this side of him much better and it helps The team / coaches / fans as well.

Salute the nation

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Joe told a radio show that the eventual plan he was told was for him to get the green dot.
Kinda...just a....nah, very surprised the MGT. said that to a newly acquired guy.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice work, Cope!

Great blurb by Labriola on the job Colbert's done in prying away players from first-year HC's around the league. Pretty amazing set of circumstances, if you think about it. Works out well for a team like the Steelers, who otherwise aren't big players in FA.
Great points Tibs.

Interesting that Colbert got these players in different ways:

Minkah was a blue chip trade for a 1st and packaged picks still on his rookie deal
Joebert is coming off his first big contract, is a team leader, and we only gave up a 6th, AND they ate half of his salary!
Haden was a highly sought after cap cut before the season started, and he wanted to be in Pit to stick it to the brownies twice a year! Steelers still had to pay him a big salary, but for being a top player at that position of need, it was worth it!
Haskins was also a release, 2 years into his rookie deal as a first rounder, but the whole league passed on him. Steelers got him for league minimum!

So many ways for Colbert to **** this league!!!