• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

sniff sniff Steelers rumored to sniffing around Rams CB Trumaine Johnson

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...bly-exploring-trade-rams-cb-trumaine-johnson/

would require a restructure...

I would think improbable, but a fan can dream.

JayC

Reaction score
hahaha 17 million. not in 17 million years would the steelers make that big of a move.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
hahaha 17 million. not in 17 million years would the steelers make that big of a move.

obviously they would have to lower that figure, it has been done before on teams.

Colbert is capable of figuring it out. Not that it will get done.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
They can't lower the $17M, it's a franchise designation, guaranteed, and we can't restructure his contract. We'd have to restructure players on our team to get him under the cap. This ain't happening.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score

They can't lower the $17M, it's a franchise designation, guaranteed, and we can't restructure his contract. We'd have to restructure players on our team to get him under the cap. This ain't happening.

I'll third that sentiment. No way ! They sniffed around 'till they got enough information to disqualify themselves.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
$17 million? No freakin' way. Sounds like major fake news to me.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Steven Tyler said it best...

Dream on....Dream on..

Dream until your dreams.....

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
$17M or $7M? Does it matter?? Where would they fit him under the cap? The Rams would have to take on a majority of that salary and I don't see that happening.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
My question is why would you pay 17 million but not pay Bell what he wanted..

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
$17M or $7M? Does it matter?? Where would they fit him under the cap? The Rams would have to take on a majority of that salary and I don't see that happening.

Think I seen this where the old team took on a portion of the salary, and I am presuming that would have to happen here.

Obviously I don't think it will happen, not the majority of fans. Just reporting the news peeps !

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
My question is why would you pay 17 million but not pay Bell what he wanted..

They offered Bell a contract, so it isn't that they wouldn't pay him. Just not his over inflated contract demands.

Obviously the Steelers would have to like the perimeters of the trade, and I would think they wouldn't overpay...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
They offered Bell a contract, so it isn't that they wouldn't pay him. Just not his over inflated contract demands.

Obviously the Steelers would have to like the perimeters of the trade, and I would think they wouldn't overpay...

Whatever his inflated demands were they werent 17 million which is my point. Why pay someone else that figure and balk paying the best RB what he wants??

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They offered Bell 12+ million per year. Even with Freeman's new contract, that would put Bell 50% higher than the next 2 top RB's. He said **** you! Top CB's are worth a lot more than the top RB's, like it or not. That's just how the market is. I still wouldn't pay $17 million to rent this guy for a year. Get an actual contract out of it and we might be onto something.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever his inflated demands were they werent 17 million which is my point. Why pay someone else that figure and balk paying the best RB what he wants??

You are assuming they would be ok with the 17million per year figure, I am assuming they wouldn't be. And the Rams would have to eat a portion of that.

Either way more than likely it won't happen.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
You are assuming they would be ok with the 17million per year figure, I am assuming they wouldn't be. And the Rams would have to eat a portion of that.

Either way more than likely it won't happen.

The cant eat any of his contract. We either pay him what he is franchised at or he decides to lower his contract which im not sure he can do. Or if he would unless we signed him to a new deal which he wants. The Rams are off the hook totally if they trade him..

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
They offered Bell 12+ million per year. Even with Freeman's new contract, that would put Bell 50% higher than the next 2 top RB's. He said **** you! Top CB's are worth a lot more than the top RB's, like it or not. That's just how the market is. I still wouldn't pay $17 million to rent this guy for a year. Get an actual contract out of it and we might be onto something.

Like i said in another thread im not arguing what someone deserves after these new CTE findings. My feelings are you should try for as much as you can if you are in position to do so.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The cant eat any of his contract. We either pay him what he is franchised at or he decides to lower his contract which im not sure he can do. Or if he would unless we signed him to a new deal which he wants. The Rams are off the hook totally if they trade him..

is this a rule of the tag?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
is this a rule of the tag?

Yes i THINK so..we can renegotiate his contract and lower his 17 million cap hit by signing him to a new deal. But trading for him and asking him to just lower his contract from 17 million without a new deal is highly unlikely.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Like i said in another thread im not arguing what someone deserves after these new CTE findings. My feelings are you should try for as much as you can if you are in position to do so.

Sure but you have to be reasonable. It is just like real estate. You can't make it emotional. Your property is worth what someone will pay for it and not what you put into it or think it is worth. Bell, by his statements, made this emotional. He wants top RB and top WR money combined. Good luck with that. Cleveland might overpay for him and if he were dumb enough to go there, good riddance. The grass, as 99% of ex-Steelers say, isn't always greener. He was offered more than a fair contract that would have put him way out in front of the next top paid RB's and he wanted more money. If he gets injured now, all you can do is laugh at the guy for being stupid.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
First, if the Steelers explored a potential move I'm glad that they even went that far. However, nothing ever happens whenever you hear they're interested in a top name. I haven't paid attention to their cap situation, but if they could swing a move like this for a reasonable return, I'd gladly make it. I couldn't care less how much the team pays players, it's not my money. Anything they can do to help this team win a title is good in my book.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Sure but you have to be reasonable. It is just like real estate. You can't make it emotional. Your property is worth what someone will pay for it and not what you put into it or think it is worth. Bell, by his statements, made this emotional. He wants top RB and top WR money combined. Good luck with that. Cleveland might overpay for him and if he were dumb enough to go there, good riddance. The grass, as 99% of ex-Steelers say, isn't always greener. He was offered more than a fair contract that would have put him way out in front of the next top paid RB's and he wanted more money. If he gets injured now, all you can do is laugh at the guy for being stupid.

I havent heard anything emotional from Bell or his camp. And like i said after the CTE findings whats fair for the best RB in the league? He has been our second leading receiver two out of the last three years. Its not like he pulled those demands out his ***. There was not alot of guaranteed money after the first year. With his injuries and suspensions i can see the Steelers reasons for doing that. But i can also see Bell betting on his talent and hoping to get more guaranteed money. Its a business and a cold business at that. Get as much as you can and if its not from the Steelers oh well. We as fans should understand the fact that these guys are cutting years off their lives possibly and deserve as much as their talent will allow. On the open market Bell will get what he wants. Sucks if he doesnt finish his career here but i wont be mad at him.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bell said he was holding out to get money for all of the other RB's out there since the RB market has gone way down. That absolutely is emotional and stupid at the same time. Worry about yourself and your own future.