• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Some interesting trade down scenerios

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The only one I would consider is if we dropped back 5 spots (definitely stay in round 1) or so and got an extra 3rd round pick (not a comp pick). Other than that, I wouldn't move.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
If I was to pull the trigger I feel this would be our best bet.

The Steelers receive: pick numbers 32 (1st), 95 (3rd) and 176 (6th)

The Buccaneers receive: pick number 24 (1st)

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know this is cliché but it all depends on who is there. We can't miss out on a starting LT and then though the draft is deep (in tackles but how deep in LTs is the key). I don't trade down to get the second tier LT.

I'm stubborn I know but stand my ground and also realize the value has to be there.

Salute the nation

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I know this is cliché but it all depends on who is there. We can't miss out on a starting LT and then though the draft is deep (in tackles but how deep in LTs is the key). I don't trade down to get the second tier LT.

I'm stubborn I know but stand my ground and also realize the value has to be there.

Salute the nation
I doubt they take a LT in the first or second.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
All about value. If things are equal or greater than you will see a LT sooner than later.Might be a good idea with a LT not on the roster.

swal75

Reaction score
Anyone wanting to trade with the Steelers better be talking to them multiple picks ahead of time or have the Flash working for them to get the offer in before the Steelers turn in their pick
always wondered why we don't have the pick turn in guy back there returning kicks. that mofo can fly. Ought to develop a wildcat look for him as well.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I know the STEELERS are going to chose who they are going to chose but here again my strong opinion is I'd like to see it be a top tier LT, not a second tier. We need improvement long term on the OL and here may be a chance to secure that. We all have seen what mediocer talent can do so let's get it right and watch how much better this offense is. It all starts in the trenches and I want our trench to be "BAD AZZ"

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
If we do that deal with the bucks I go 32 or Liam eichenberg
rnd 2 trade picks move up costing 88 96 and 196
so 32 to Liam Norte dame
rnd 2 move up to early rob ettinie
rnd 3 88 c Myers
4 ilb mcgrone/olb rumph duke
rnd 5 CB Vincent jr
rnd 6 dl Johnson
rnd 7 te Farrell

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Trading back, this year, scares me...

Unless there is a run on QB's AND OT's...we stand pat and wait on Najee or Travis at 1.24...I think if they're both gone - Williams is the pick but RB1 should be the pick at 1.24

Didn't I say this last year???

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score

Salute the nation
who would be your choices for LT in this draft and what range would you consider drafting them .....eg Sewell 1st round within the top 6 picks and so on.......
I don't think this year has as many top tier OT as last year....... a lot of the guys this year may be moved inside at the NFL level
The more I look at Jenkins the more I could be on board with selecting this dude with our pick... played mostly RT and some LT but this dude is strong and motivated
If I could trade back slightly in the 1st round and still secure him and one of the 3 RBs Harris Etienne or Williams I would be pretty content

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Trading back, this year, scares me...

Unless there is a run on QB's AND OT's...we stand pat and wait on Najee or Travis at 1.24...I think if they're both gone - Williams is the pick but RB1 should be the pick at 1.24

Didn't I say this last year???
Stop living in your fears Berm............ Tomlin would be so dissapointed

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I would trade back in a heart beat if it where like the trades offered on first pick.com. you know, trade back 3 spots for an extra 2nd 3rd and 5th

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I would trade back in a heart beat if it where like the trades offered on first pick.com. you know, trade back 3 spots for an extra 2nd 3rd and 5th
I hear ya .......that site seems to get more ridiculous the closer it gets to the draft.
I did a mock 2 days ago where the Jags took DT Christian Barmore with the 1st pick in the draft instead of QB ..... I am a Bama fan but even Bermuda would probably say that is nuts

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
who would be your choices for LT in this draft and what range would you consider drafting them .....eg Sewell 1st round within the top 6 picks and so on.......
I don't think this year has as many top tier OT as last year....... a lot of the guys this year may be moved inside at the NFL level
The more I look at Jenkins the more I could be on board with selecting this dude with our pick... played mostly RT and some LT but this dude is strong and motivated
If I could trade back slightly in the 1st round and still secure him and one of the 3 RBs Harris Etienne or Williams I would be pretty content

EXACTLY

jenkins looks to be there and he is no sloutch. I like his kill shot attitude as much as his skill level. Your scenario would be dream situation. Etienne or Williams would be a great pick up as well.

Salute the nation

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
All about value. If things are equal or greater than you will see a LT sooner than later.Might be a good idea with a LT not on the roster.
I know the STEELERS are going to chose who they are going to chose but here again my strong opinion is I'd like to see it be a top tier LT, not a second tier. We need improvement long term on the OL and here may be a chance to secure that. We all have seen what mediocer talent can do so let's get it right and watch how much better this offense is. It all starts in the trenches and I want our trench to be "BAD AZZ"

Salute the nation
After seeing how well some teams have done with makeshift lines I am less convinced of that than ever. I think philosophy and play calling is more important than the total talent level on the line. The Steelers seem to really believe in Banner and the guy they picked up has also been a starter. I think Center is far more important for this upcoming season than tackle based on the roster and even there I think we could field a competent line with what we have already if the OC runs the right scheme and plays. I think they go O and D weapons early and line later.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
After seeing how well some teams have done with makeshift lines I am less convinced of that than ever. I think philosophy and play calling is more important than the total talent level on the line. The Steelers seem to really believe in Banner and the guy they picked up has also been a starter. I think Center is far more important for this upcoming season than tackle based on the roster and even there I think we could field a competent line with what we have already if the OC runs the right scheme and plays. I think they go O and D weapons early and line later.
C is important just not a great 2 value. T is important when that elite edge comes for Ben. He better shave another second off that quick delivery if they don't pick up a LT. He is a little old to be running for his life. You also don't have but one T that can blow open holes and you would like a matching capable set. I really see a LT as the highest priority for now and the immediate future. C you can address 2/3.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Salute the nation
Drink, there are only 3 Tier 1 OT’s (all can play both sides) Sewell, Slater and Darrisaw. The former 2 are top 10, Darrisaw is top15-20. After those three the next several are all Tier 2 OTs and have value in the 2nd only a few of them are LT capable now.

Cosmi, Eichenberg, and Radunz are true LT and are at the top of the Tier 2s, with Jenkins, Leatherwood, Mayfield and Christensen the remaining OT who could start (RT mostly). There are a couple other OT to lookout for. Walker Little can play, he just hasn’t in two years, because injury and then COVID. There is Stone Forsythe as well, a sleeper. But they had people at FL‘s pro day watch him.

Unless something happens like when we drafted DeCastro, we have no shot at the Tier 1s. But if they go RB in the first they definitely could have a Tier 2 OT. Menierz however is also on their radar as they are VERY interested in him. Some prognosticators have moved him up into the top 50-60. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he got picked at 55.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
C is important just not a great 2 value. T is important when that elite edge comes for Ben. He better shave another second off that quick delivery if they don't pick up a LT. He is a little old to be running for his life. You also don't have but one T that can blow open holes and you would like a matching capable set. I really see a LT as the highest priority for now and the immediate future. C you can address 2/3.
Do we really know that Banner and Chuks can't run block? They were never given a real opportunity do it in any semblance of a real offense. I think they can if the mentality of the offense changes and that will help create enough doubt in the minds defenses of the play to buy Ben more time. I would love a stud LT but to win this year I don't think it is what they are thinking. I am stuck on the idea that we already improved the line dramatically simply through the subtraction of two coaches.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Do we really know that Banner and Chuks can't run block? They were never given a real opportunity do it in any semblance of a real offense. I think they can if the mentality of the offense changes and that will help create enough doubt in the minds defenses of the play to buy Ben more time. I would love a stud LT but to win this year I don't think it is what they are thinking. I am stuck on the idea that we already improved the line dramatically simply through the subtraction of two coaches.
Banner I think will be fine at RT but really don't have confidence with Chuks at LT especially as a run blocker. But you are right they might be thinking Finney is the weak link and then RB in 1 and see what is left over for T in 3 or 4.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Drink, there are only 3 Tier 1 OT’s (all can play both sides) Sewell, Slater and Darrisaw. The former 2 are top 10, Darrisaw is top15-20. After those three the next several are all Tier 2 OTs and have value in the 2nd only a few of them are LT capable now.

Cosmi, Eichenberg, and Radunz are true LT and are at the top of the Tier 2s, with Jenkins, Leatherwood, Mayfield and Christensen the remaining OT who could start (RT mostly). There are a couple other OT to lookout for. Walker Little can play, he just hasn’t in two years, because injury and then COVID. There is Stone Forsythe as well, a sleeper. But they had people at FL‘s pro day watch him.

Unless something happens like when we drafted DeCastro, we have no shot at the Tier 1s. But if they go RB in the first they definitely could have a Tier 2 OT. Menierz however is also on their radar as they are VERY interested in him. Some prognosticators have moved him up into the top 50-60. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he got picked at 55.

Thanks Ike, I just would be amazed if a tier 1 dropped to us at 1.24 but I shouldn't have used "tier" and what I should have said the BEST LT at our 1.24 pick. VALUE may dictate for us to wait until rnd 2 and that would be ok but if value is there in round 1 you pull the trigger. YES it's a pipe dream but I can hope for one of the big three to fall and hope the STEELERS chose him.

Great post Ike

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Losing the OC & OL coach is definately addition by subtraction but we also don't know what CANADA brings to the table yet. I know it is W-A-Y more than the clown that left. Serrett is in that same boat but when Muncheck gave him his endorsement I felt a little confident but came to realize that was just part of Munch's exit speech and held no weight.

I'm definately looking forward to the new and improved influence Canada will have and yes, O play calling will help this OL out a lot.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Ike, I just would be amazed if a tier 1 dropped to us at 1.24 but I shouldn't have used "tier" and what I should have said the BEST LT at our 1.24 pick. VALUE may dictate for us to wait until rnd 2 and that would be ok but if value is there in round 1 you pull the trigger. YES it's a pipe dream but I can hope for one of the big three to fall and hope the STEELERS chose him.

Great post Ike

Salute the nation
Yep, really there is no chance with Sewell and Slater if we stand pat. But if the stars aligned and Darrisaw falls in our lap (like DeCastro did), I would throw a spear with the player card attached right on stage next to the Commish. Then give up a 3rd next year and move up in the second and grab whichever RB is available. That would be a dream start for the draft if that were to happen. But now that I’ve said it, the scenario won’t. Dang it.