• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Some think it's the right thing to do............... ROETHLISBERGER

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
The article talks a little about "CAP" hell and if BEN would retire that would be the right decision. The BIG part of the article says IKE TAYLOR thinks BEN is done. Ike also says it's up to BEN as the STEELERS will let him play as long as he wants.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...calls-on-him-to-retire/ar-BB1d9D43?li=BBnbfcL

Personally I think he plays 2121 then hangs them up.

Salute the nation

2121??! DAYUMN! So Ben's playing for the next 100 years??

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
2121??! DAYUMN! So Ben's playing for the next 100 years??

Maybe that was a typo but hence when one thinks about it.........ALL BENN would need to do is get some of t*mmyb*y's TB12 drink (not the watered down **** but the same stuff t*mmy's drinking) and anything could be possible.

Salute the nation

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Deshaun Watson has requested a trade. I have no way in hell of knowing if our cap could handle Ben retiring plus going to get a Watson. If they can make it happen without gutting the team, you make it happen.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Deshaun Watson has requested a trade. I have no way in hell of knowing if our cap could handle Ben retiring plus going to get a Watson. If they can make it happen without gutting the team, you make it happen.

Watson is going to be getting some serious scratch in 2022 and 2023. DOUBLE what Ben is getting in 2021. Then his salary comes "down" to 37 mil and 32 mil the following two years. Yeah, that aint happening.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's going to take a minimum of 3 first round picks, and probably some other picks as well. Plus cap hits of 40 and 42 million in 2022 and 2023.

I know he is pretty good but I don't see three first rounders, just my two cents. The money side seems correct but the 3 first(s) seem a little high, maybe 2-1st and 2-3rd.

Salute the nation

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I know he is pretty good but I don't see three first rounders, just my two cents. The money side seems correct but the 3 first(s) seem a little high, maybe 2-1st and 2-3rd.

Salute the nation
Jamal Adams got 2 first round picks and he's a safety

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Cowher thinks we can win another Super Bowl with Ben, but I’m not sure he’s taking everything into consideration.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We are NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT trading for Watson or even Stafford and Rodgers. It ain't ******* happening people. The cap hits are high and they all want at least one, if not 2 or 3 No. 1 picks. Get that and resigning Bud out of your heads.

GILBERT

Reaction score
Cowher thinks we can win another Super Bowl with Ben, but I’m not sure he’s taking everything into consideration.

I'm sure Cowher knows 'all the considerations' but just won't say.

I agree with him. I'm sure we would all like to see what this team can do if they actually have focus. Certainly they have holes to fill (OL). But the last two playoff games (or meltdowns) have had nothing to do (IMO) with talent.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm sure Cowher knows 'all the considerations' but just won't say.

I agree with him. I'm sure we would all like to see what this team can do if they actually have focus. Certainly they have holes to fill (OL). But the last two playoff games (or meltdowns) have had nothing to do (IMO) with talent.

Cowher was on another radio show and brought up the Oline needs retooled for them to be competitive.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
This is the only option.

Ben already said he wants to come back, it's up to the Steelers:
1. if they're going to pay him the 41 cap hit-very doubtful
2. if they work out an extension to spread the cap hit out, with a wink and a hand shake that this will be his final year.
3. cut him

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben already said he wants to come back, it's up to the Steelers:
1. if they're going to pay him the 41 cap hit-very doubtful
2. if they work out an extension to spread the cap hit out, with a wink and a hand shake that this will be his final year.
3. cut him

Actually, I think Ben said he hoped the Steelers would want him back if that's the decision he comes to after talking it over with his family and marinating on it.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'd be fine with Ben playing next year if it wouldn't have a cost run into 2022. Particularly, if I believed he could leave on a high, but that isn't going to happen. That's horseshit that its up to Ben. Troy Polamalu was every bit as good and gave as much as Ben to this organization. He didn't get to decide. Time to move on in my opinion. hopefully it hastens the departure of the real problem in this franchise.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I'd be fine with Ben playing next year if it wouldn't have a cost run into 2022. Particularly, if I believed he could leave on a high, but that isn't going to happen. That's horseshit that its up to Ben. Troy Polamalu was every bit as good and gave as much as Ben to this organization. He didn't get to decide. Time to move on in my opinion. hopefully it hastens the departure of the real problem in this franchise.

Franchise QB's always are higher on the pecking order than any other position. They don't want another Troy situation.

Rooney did just say they want Ben back, but not at the 41 million dollar cap hit and Ben knows that.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I’ve gone back and forth in my mind about should he stay or should he go. Hmm! Reminds me of an old song.
Anyway I’ve come to a final conclusion at least in my mind that despite all the thrilling, exciting and wonderful moments Ben has given us and a HOF career, it’s best for him to retire.
Yes we would eat the 22 million dead cap money much like with AB after he was cut loose but we save 19 million against the cap which added to the savings from Pouncey and Vance, that’s like 32 million. That immediately puts us in compliance and with some restructure of other contracts and release of some other players, suddenly we have some money.
Maybe we can extend Cam Sutton and Logan and who knows, maybe find money for Bud.
Next try and fix this OL and draft a good RB and roll the dice with Mason.
Give Mason the training camp and preseason under Matt Canada with a retooled OL and running game and give him his final shot. If he succeeds and we make the playoffs and God forbid Tomlin had the team prepared to win a playoff game then give Mason a well earned extension. If on the other hand he flops then the team will no doubt have a losing record and we have a good enough draft position to get our QB.
By keeping Ben all we’re doing is prolonging the inevitable salary cap hit in 2022. And what have we really accomplished in 2021 with a 39 year old QB? Nothing! I doubt we would make the playoffs with Ben in 2021. Yep, that’s my thoughts on the Ben drama as we have it today. I’m ready to move on so we can se if Mason is our guy or our QB is in the 2022 draft.

Last edited:

stevielee

Reaction score

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben has long history of not doing the right thing... but in all honesty who among us would leave 20m sitting on the table?? I think the worse thing i see, there is a mindset that Ben coming back is a good thing! Ben will have to prove that... cuz the rest league will put that to the test! And fact is he wasnt up to back couple years ago against Jacksonville, wasn’t up to it against horrible circumstance in the Cleveland game this year... just really putting all our eggs in the Ben basket just has not been successful. I’m kinda shocked how Pittsburgh has come to except crappiness as the new normal. Been watching the reruns on nfl network of the seventy Steelers. We had best players, best coaches, best fans, best owners. Best schemes! The coaches left in ‘78 went to the rams and took that team to the Super Bowl only to meet the mothership!!! Can you even think in your right mind think that could happen now? I don’t think any of our coaches are wanted by other teams. Supposedly dolphins may have been interested in Canada but that was more like a balloon floated by his agent. But Standing back can’t help but wonder where did it all go. Ben’s no savior and no hero but in the minds of those running this organization he is. He’s not a bad qb but longer he hangs around he won’t be remember as a once great player who lead us to 3 Super Bowls, he’ll be remember as a qb who hung around, collecting big paychecks, throwing ridiculous interceptions in big games and just generally stinking the place up! Even Brady the goat didn’t get away with that in Boston it’s Only in Pittsburgh now, where political correctness not really winning has become the new normal!