• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Starling Marte traded to the D Backs

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Starling is on to greener pastures in Arizona. In return the Pirates get 2 prospects who are far away from the majors still but are both ranked in the top 20 of the D Backs prospects (#9 and #18). According to the article for the updated 2020 D Backs prospect list they were both going to be ranked in the top 10. Look like they went with high upside instead of close to contributing players. Shortstop Liover Peguero is 19 years old and hit .326 in Single A ball last year and pitcher Brennan Malone, another 19 year old who can throw 99 mph.

It looks to be several years before either has a chance to help the team. They took their sweet time trading Marte so they obviously felt this was the best deal they were getting.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/news/pirates-trade-starling-marte

Last edited:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

Supersteeler

Reaction score
The same excuse was made with the Gerrit Cole trade.

Between that, this and the Archer trade, the money excuse goes only so far when they cannot manage the resources they do have properly.

They're incompetent. Plain and simple.

The new regime is incompetent already? Literally their first major transaction in their new jobs. You do know they cleaned house this off season right? Or are we just assuming the new guys suck too because of the uniform they represent. I know all about Nutting but he doesn't evaluate talent.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Payroll is currently at $43M, same payroll they had in 2004. Can't even compete with small market Milwaukee.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The lower the payroll the more attractive they are to potential buyers....
It’s like reducing overhead spend when looking to sell your business..

I hope...

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
The new regime is incompetent already? Literally their first major transaction in their new jobs. You do know they cleaned house this off season right? Or are we just assuming the new guys suck too because of the uniform they represent. I know all about Nutting but he doesn't evaluate talent.

Given who they answer to, it is difficult to give the new front office the benefit of the doubt, especially when they start off with this gem.

It's hard to take them seriously when they cannot do better than that for a player of Marte's caliber.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Given who they answer to, it is difficult to give the new front office the benefit of the doubt, especially when they start off with this gem.

It's hard to take them seriously when they cannot do better than that for a player of Marte's caliber.

We'll see I guess, but I don't get holding people responsible or crapping on them for something they have zero control over. I'd rather give them half a chance to do something first. Yeah they are cheap, the payroll is a joke, Nutting's a crook. We get it. It's not going to change so it seems pointless to go on about it.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Coles salary is within spitting distance of the whole Pirate team.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
We'll see I guess, but I don't get holding people responsible or crapping on them for something they have zero control over. I'd rather give them half a chance to do something first. Yeah they are cheap, the payroll is a joke, Nutting's a crook. We get it. It's not going to change so it seems pointless to go on about it.

I'm a bigger baseball fan than football fan.

I've always been one to try to find some optimism about the Pirates, but I'm at the end of my rope in that regard.

The current payroll is beyond a joke, even by their standards. It's like they're not even trying.

The new front office had a chance to restore some optimism about the organization with its first major move, and it **** the bed all over place in that regard.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a bigger baseball fan than football fan.

I've always been one to try to find some optimism about the Pirates, but I'm at the end of my rope in that regard.

The current payroll is beyond a joke, even by their standards. It's like they're not even trying.

The new front office had a chance to restore some optimism about the organization with its first major move, and it **** the bed all over place in that regard.

The Pirates unfortunately are in a position where not only are they unable to afford premium free agent talent, but right now they have zero reason to even look at such talent. The new management team is positioning itself to retool via the draft. The Pirates have 3 of the top 43 selections in June, and are likely to get a top-5 pick in 2021.

The Pirates' problem is not so much talent acquisition as talent development. Meadows, Cole, Glasnow, Bell, Reynolds, Keller and (if healthy) Taillon would be a very good base. Dealing two of their best young players for **** return and dealing Cole because of $$, plus the Taillon injury situation, means they are basically @#$%ed.