• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler loses infree agency

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't like losing Chad Brown. I was fond of the snake man and Colorado players at that time in regards to the draft. Hargrave was a victim of Tuitt being the better option without hindsight. I understood Rod's injury situation but that irritated me when he jumped ship. Thigpen's departure was irritating on a smaller scale but didn't like him leaving.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Mike Hilton… he was perpetually ranked pretty high in slot corner rankings and was a great playmaker… he left for a pittance from a hated rival… bad free agency loss… many of the ones we lost were money related….

Another was Rod Woodson, who they mistakenly thought was done… his super bowl ring with tge Ravens is a blemish on our franchise…

steelhurt

Reaction score
Over the past ten years for me a toss-up between Hargraves and Hilton. Two guys we should have and could have kept.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Emmanuel Sanders is probably the one who went on to have the best career as the most recent free agent player we lost. We couldn't have paid him and AB at the same time though.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I have a fuzzy memory of the key guys we've lost over the years. Hargrave is a good player but when you look at what he brings to the table, it isn't what the team needs. He is a very good pass rusher and is relatively weak in run defense. Our defense is designed to get guys to the QB, a big reason why the run defense suffers, IMO. Hilton is the better option because of the value on his contract and I think it's tougher position to replace.

Matt Feiler is another name who wouldn't be at the top of my list but on it. He wasn't a great option at tackle but did a nice job at guard and easily would've been our best OL last year.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
we lose good people every year. bu over the last 10 years who is the 1 guy you would have kept? for me it is Javon Hargrave. we needed him when he left and we need him now
Agree he is the one in the last decade, Hilton being a close 2nd.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Mike Hilton… he was perpetually ranked pretty high in slot corner rankings and was a great playmaker… he left for a pittance from a hated rival… bad free agency loss… many of the ones we lost were money related….

Another was Rod Woodson, who they mistakenly thought was done… his super bowl ring with tge Ravens is a blemish on our franchise…
Wasn't another reason Woodson left because the Steelers wanted to switch him to safety and he felt he could still play corner? He was playing safety with the Rats, iirc.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Brown and Woodson hurt the most. In the last 10 years? Does Bell count? He was a **** but you have to admit it hurt losing him.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
They have to
Wasn't another reason Woodson left because the Steelers wanted to switch him to safety and he felt he could still play corner? He was playing safety with the Rats, iirc.
they just thought he was done… he played corner in SF and Baltimore before he eventually switched to safety

FordFairLane

Reaction score
we lose good people every year. bu over the last 10 years who is the 1 guy you would have kept? for me it is Javon Hargrave. we needed him when he left and we need him now
I remember telling Alex Kozora on Twitter I’d trade Tuitt and long term Grave Digger. He pretty much said the Steelers would be stupid to consider that. Well, i bet he would take a 3rd and Hargrave about right now.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't like losing Chad Brown. I was fond of the snake man and Colorado players at that time in regards to the draft. Hargrave was a victim of Tuitt being the better option without hindsight. I understood Rod's injury situation but that irritated me when he jumped ship. Thigpen's departure was irritating on a smaller scale but didn't like him leaving.

Slash, I thought it was because the wife said there weren't enough sushi restaurants in Pittsburgh? Brown was a west coast child, he didn’t want to stay in a cold weather city. Steelers sure liked players from Colorado colleges at time! (CJ, Kordell, Brown, Aaron Smith, Porter, & Haggans).

Rod, had a little bit of an ego and it didn’t help that Donohoe was the GM. Rod wanted top corner money because he felt he was still a top corner, but PIT was only willing to give him top tier money to play safety. Throw in the fact he had a hissy fit on live TV about his contract status during the ProBowl broadcast and that soured Mr. Rooney. Donohoe took it the next step by saying “we aren’t the Salvation Army“ in regards to signing 10 year vets.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Does Bell count? He was a **** but you have to admit it hurt losing him.
I don't think Bell counts because the Steelers offered him a good deal...probably even too much money considering the position. Considering Bell's production fell off a cliff as soon as he left it appears it worked out great for the Steelers.

Chicoman

Reaction score
Seeing Rod Woodson leave in Free Agency after the 96 season was crushing! He still had alot of football left in him to play. A Generational talent! He was one of the All-Time Greatest DB's to ever play the game. A Steeler great and he should have been a Steeler his entire career! They really messed up letting him walk. The guy was the best Steelers CB of All-Time....yes even better than Mel Blount!

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing Rod Woodson leave in Free Agency after the 96 season was crushing! He still had alot of football left in him to play. A Generational talent! He was one of the All-Time Greatest DB's to ever play the game. A Steeler great and he should have been a Steeler his entire career! They really messed up letting him walk. The guy was the best Steelers CB of All-Time....yes even better than Mel Blount!
You had me till the ending like

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Better than Mel Blount................. ????

Rod got some of his reputation as a punt returner as well. Yes he was a VERY VERY, VERY good CB no doubt and a STEELERS legend but Blount was pretty good as well.!

Salute the nation