• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Rookie Outside Linebackers

I

Idioteque

It's much better to debate things that actually IMPACT future decisions the Steelers have to make.

I mean, what future actions do people that DON'T like Jones want the Steelers to make? Do you want them to sign a free agent like James Harrison and start him over Jones? Is there another free agent you wanted (and where would you get the money)? Do you want them to prioritize a pass rushing OLB in this draft? Are there targets in the draft you are willing to overdraft to try and displace either Jones and/or Worilds?

I'm sure some posters would like to do some of these things, sure. Is that a bad thing?

Reliving draft day 2013 and telling everyone how right you were isn't really productive. And ******** on Jones and Adams and Gilbert isn't helping either. Only making decisions moving forward will help and I often times see a lot of bitching "what they did" and not much "they should do this".

I don't think that's what everyone is doing. If that's the impression you have, then go with God.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This year will tell us a lot about Jarvis Jones. If in fact he was "thinking" too much, and lacked strength, then a full season practicing and playing with the 1st team and an offseason getting stronger, then he should be better this season.

As in, consistent-pressure-and-is-getting-double-teamed better.

If he is still disappearing for quarters and getting manhandled by elite left tackles, then ... well, **** happens.

keslerclan

Reaction score
I would love it if Barr fell into our laps BUT nobody but Jones and Worilds can help us this year with their play. The others only get a shot IF the starters get hurt. Harrison would be my short term choice as a back-up and this Nikita Whitlock kid looks like James Harrison clone who was very productive as a NT against guys at least 50# heavier. If anything, I would give him a shot at a back-up 'rush' LB.

DeMarcus Lawrence looks like a total dud to me. There isn't a lot of depth at OLB this year either so you might as well get 'out of the box' with some productive DTs and DEs that do not have the size to translate well, IMO.

I

Idioteque

I would love it if Barr fell into our laps

He will. He's falling into the late teens/early 20s.

One of the weakest pass rushers I've ever seen. Stick your pinky out to the side and he's herded like cattle.

deljzc

Reaction score
Does not matter what we want them to prioritize or not. They do what they feel they need to do.

But, it is also not like they are ignoring the OLB position either. They are schedued to bring in Anthony Barr for an official visit and I would be hard pressed to think they believed he was a first round option. They also scheduled to bring in DeMarcus Lawrence, who could be a potential 2nd/3rd round target.

So, it appears they are still willing to draft an OLB pretty highly.

We'll see when instead of "mocking the mock" we start saying who we'd draft after day 1, day 2 and day 3 of the draft instead of the Steelers.

Some may see value at points in the draft at OLB vs. who the Steelers take. Maybe the Steelers do take an OLB (I certainly think they will, because the depth chart is still short one body). I don't think it's going to be early, but you never know where the board falls.

Still, the debate about Jones seems kind of pointless to me at this point. He's on the roster. He's under contract at X dollars. It really comes down to whether you've seen enough to consider his position a "position of need and upgrading" or not and then how much resources you think the Steelers should devote to "upgrading" that position.

That's really what it comes down to everywhere, in every one of our roster debates. Is what we have good enough? Where are the holes? How can they be filled? At what cost? What's the priority since fixing everything isn't always possible?

Look, if this debate started..."I have concerns about the OLB spots. I don't think Jones can cut it and Worilds isn't under contract next year. I think OLB should be high on the list of Steelers priorities (not just to get a body, but to get a STARTER talent). We should really be looking hard at getting an OLB in the first 100 picks of this draft and if we can't, I think it's very important to re-sign Harrison just in case Jones takes a step back instead of taking a step forward."

THAT's a premise for a debate about how to improve the roster. Not reliving how much of a mistake the pick Jones was.

Vader

Reaction score
There's plenty of time to say "I told you so" when his career here is done. What's the point now? Let him play it out. I'm still unsure what he's going to become so why not just say "who knows" and wait and see another 16, 32 or 48 games?

So you want people to wait around 16 to 48 games to evaluate the talent? Ok...

Reliving draft day 2013 and telling everyone how right you were isn't really productive. And ******** on Jones and Adams and Gilbert isn't helping either. Only making decisions moving forward will help and I often times see a lot of bitching "what they did" and not much "they should do this".

Oh but now we can't even discuss Adams (who has played in 25 games) and Gilbert (who's has started 36 games)? Make up your mind what you are going to allow us to talk about.

BTW it appears you want to be the one who determines what people talk about. It doesn't do a lot of good to talk about Jones right now. But in reality it doesn't do any good for anybody to talk about anything since nothing we talk about matters as far as what they actually do. So I suggest that people be allowed to talk about what they want to on a bulletin board... but hey, that's just me.

T

TAS

Arguing or debating Jarvis Jones is kind of moot at this point.

There's plenty of time to say "I told you so" when his career here is done. What's the point now? Let him play it out. I'm still unsure what he's going to become so why not just say "who knows" and wait and see another 16, 32 or 48 games?

There isn't really a "decision" to be made about Jones right now. He's the starter. He's going to make the roster. I guess if you really have given up on him, you might put OLB/edge defender higher on your "needs" heading into this draft, but I think we can all admit the Steelers probably aren't artificially pushing up OLB's on thier draft board like they may be with CB, ILB, DE or WR. And OLB (even if you don't think Jones will cut it) is still probably behind those other positions on need.

The only fair thing we can do now is collect more information on Jones and continue to be non-biased in our evaluation of him.
If OLB isn't listed at the top of Steeler needs you didn't watch Steeler games last year.

F

Franco

Maybe so. At times he looked strong and quick. Then other times he looked like a guy on skates. I'm hoping it's just him over thinking things right now.

What exactly was he over thinking about on 3rd down pass rushes when the sole job was to try and get pressure and he failed repeatedly and ineffectively? He was pretty good against the run which means he was thinking just fine in the more complicated aspects of the Steelers defense. he is not a great athlete, not fast or quick and as a below average athlete he will always struggle as a pass rusher. Most here saw that on his college tape which repeatedly showed him getting easy sacks where he was unblocked or beating RBs to the QB. he rarely limed up , at ROLB and beat even the mediocre LTs in the SEC who will never sniff the NFL.

LT Dan

Reaction score
I've been reading some posts about Jarvis here, and it got be thinking. Since the Steelers switched to the 3-4, Jarvis is the first OLB to get a crack at being the full time starter as a rookie.

Lloyd 3rd year
Gildon 3rd year
Clark Haggins - 5th year
Porter 2nd year
Harrison 6th year
Woodley 2nd year

If you play ILB you have a better chance of being a rookie starter.
Bell and Williams last year come to mind.

Wasn't Timmons drafted as a OLB, but then morphed into a "do it all LB" b/c of James Harrison playing so well?

Vader

Reaction score
What exactly was he over thinking about on 3rd down pass rushes when the sole job was to try and get pressure and he failed repeatedly and ineffectively? He was pretty good against the run which means he was thinking just fine in the more complicated aspects of the Steelers defense. he is not a great athlete, not fast or quick and as a below average athlete he will always struggle as a pass rusher. Most here saw that on his college tape which repeatedly showed him getting easy sacks where he was unblocked or beating RBs to the QB. he rarely limed up , at ROLB and beat even the mediocre LTs in the SEC who will never sniff the NFL.

I said all those things before he was drafted. I didn't like the pick either for those reasons and more. However, he did show some power at times and some speed at times. I'm just hoping that it slows down for him and that he can get stronger.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I said all those things before he was drafted. I didn't like the pick either for those reasons and more. However, he did show some power at times and some speed at times. I'm just hoping that it slows down for him and that he can get stronger.

I always hope for the best with our draft picks, and while Jarvis didn't make me want to throw things at the tv, he also didn't exactly make me notice him very much either. Hopefully this will improve this year, we will see.

Joe

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
just throwing this out there...

what about Kony Ealy? we've already hashed that you cannot NOT take a guy based on who you have on roster now. Ealy's a big dude (6'4", 273) kinda like Kearse and would be a 22 y/o rookie.
Not real sure how this would impact Jarvis' play/position, but a LB corps of Worilds, Timdong, Jarvis and Ealy would be pretty ******* athletic.