• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Rookie Outside Linebackers

ark steel

Reaction score
I don't know about hits, but what you just described is indeed the process for tackles. The home team records them.

I've seen people here post stats that they get from somewhere and they don't match the NFL site for tackles and are higher. People have said the erroneous stats come from the team's site.

Black Reign

Reaction score
One thing about those OLB's. I know for sure all of them but LLoyd and Harrison were Defensive Ends in college.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen people here post stats that they get from somewhere and they don't match the NFL site for tackles and are higher. People have said the erroneous stats come from the team's site.

those are usually skewed by personal perception.
I doubt you'd see someone post something they didn't 100% buy into.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Lets put stats aside. When I watch a linebacker I look for a couple things. The number one trait is what I call suddenness. I consider that to be a guy with great short burst who just arrives out of nowhere. I consider Troy Polamalu to be the best example of suddenness. His long speed isn't impressive to me. Its that burst over 5-15 yards that made Troy an absolute eraser. The other thing is shock in the hands, That ability to unbalance a blocker with quick powerful hands. I can honestly say that after watching Jones all last season, I saw neither in him. So while he can talk about the mental part of the game all he wants, there were MANY opportunities to beat people with strong physical and fast moves. I just don't believe he possesses them. I would love to see the game film the Steelers looked at prior to taking him that high. I hope I'm wrong, I truly do. At this point I project him as a complete bust.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Which is funny cause i watched and saw differently. Saw suddeness from him. His coaches talked about his heavy hands all the time. What i didnt see was the strengh to finish plays off.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the amazing thing is one of our best OLBs ever - Harrison, took 6 years to start, and then he was dominant. Albeit, he did powerbomb a cleveland fan and hurdle future HOFer LT on an INT return before he was the full time starter...

Zack_of_Steel

Reaction score
I firmly believe Harrison was overlooked due to the "veteran clause" in the Dick LeBeau Defense Charter. Haggans and Porter were starters by default. Harrison could've easily been our LOLB. That or Harrison seriously took that long to develop, which I do not believe to be the case considering how quickly he was dominant.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Do we all forget that the whole defense sucked balls as a whole. Jones not playing like a hall of famer goes on par with the defense just being bad in general.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Which is funny cause i watched and saw differently. Saw suddeness from him. His coaches talked about his heavy hands all the time. What i didnt see was the strengh to finish plays off.
I really can't recall a single time where he appeared suddenly and did anything. I realize that there are 60 snaps in a game so never becomes a big exaggeration. As far as heavy hands sorry not buying that. I could sit across from Richard Friggen Lebeau and argue that one. If he had heavy hands, why not only did he not beat people, but lets be honest, most of the time the guy blocking him looked to be in perfect position. I'll be happy to eat my words, but in my estimation Jarvis Jones will make the Ziggy Hood pick look like a steal.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think the amazing thing is one of our best OLBs ever - Harrison, took 6 years to start, and then he was dominant. Albeit, he did powerbomb a cleveland fan and hurdle future HOFer LT on an INT return before he was the full time starter...
As a group can we not compare the career path of James Harrison and Jarvis Jones. James Harrison was an undrafted who was given absolutely nothing. Earned whatever he got and carved out a near HOF career, including DPOY. Jarvis Jones is a first round pick. If somehow Mike Evans fell to the Steelers would you expect his career path to be similar to Derrek Moye? Really? Whatever James Harrison was when he came out of college, I can tell you this much. He flashed. As an undrafted free agent, if you don't flash, you never make it. I just really didn't see Jones flash. I'm hoping for a Cameron Heyward in Jones, but expecting worse.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
As a group can we not compare the career path of James Harrison and Jarvis Jones. James Harrison was an undrafted who was given absolutely nothing. Earned whatever he got and carved out a near HOF career, including DPOY. Jarvis Jones is a first round pick. If somehow Mike Evans fell to the Steelers would you expect his career path to be similar to Derrek Moye? Really? Whatever James Harrison was when he came out of college, I can tell you this much. He flashed. As an undrafted free agent, if you don't flash, you never make it. I just really didn't see Jones flash. I'm hoping for a Cameron Heyward in Jones, but expecting worse.

Vader

Reaction score
I posted a video on the old board where LeBeau talked about Harrison. The only reason Harrison couldn't start or even play for awhile is because he couldn't get the defensive plays down. LeBeau said he was a beast and unblockable. But he couldn't be trusted because he didn't know where to run or what to do.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember that, Vader. Debo had all the physical attributes, but couldnt get the playbook down.

With Jarvis, I'm hoping his play last year was more due to him "thinking" too much instead of readign and reacting. Obviously by being on the field he showed the coaching staff he can be trusted. I don't think the physicality of the game was overwhelming, as he wasnt picking his *** off the ground every play.

Vader

Reaction score
I remember that, Vader. Debo had all the physical attributes, but couldnt get the playbook down.

With Jarvis, I'm hoping his play last year was more due to him "thinking" too much instead of readign and reacting. Obviously by being on the field he showed the coaching staff he can be trusted. I don't think the physicality of the game was overwhelming, as he wasnt picking his *** off the ground every play.

Maybe so. At times he looked strong and quick. Then other times he looked like a guy on skates. I'm hoping it's just him over thinking things right now.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

Where did I compare the two? I'm making statements. The only comparison you can draw from my posts is they're both OLBs on the Steelers, and one got on the field more his rookie season.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
You forgot the pressure he had that led to an INT........

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
If you put that, his one sack, and this clip together:

That is about his rookie highlight reel right there.

It sure is cause i couldnt find **** else lmao

deljzc

Reaction score
Arguing or debating Jarvis Jones is kind of moot at this point.

There's plenty of time to say "I told you so" when his career here is done. What's the point now? Let him play it out. I'm still unsure what he's going to become so why not just say "who knows" and wait and see another 16, 32 or 48 games?

There isn't really a "decision" to be made about Jones right now. He's the starter. He's going to make the roster. I guess if you really have given up on him, you might put OLB/edge defender higher on your "needs" heading into this draft, but I think we can all admit the Steelers probably aren't artificially pushing up OLB's on thier draft board like they may be with CB, ILB, DE or WR. And OLB (even if you don't think Jones will cut it) is still probably behind those other positions on need.

The only fair thing we can do now is collect more information on Jones and continue to be non-biased in our evaluation of him.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly really too early to tell how he will turn out. Although this year might give us a clearer picture.........

deljzc

Reaction score
It's much better to debate things that actually IMPACT future decisions the Steelers have to make.

I mean, what future actions do people that DON'T like Jones want the Steelers to make? Do you want them to sign a free agent like James Harrison and start him over Jones? Is there another free agent you wanted (and where would you get the money)? Do you want them to prioritize a pass rushing OLB in this draft? Are there targets in the draft you are willing to overdraft to try and displace either Jones and/or Worilds?

Look, I wasn't thrilled with the Jones pick. I wanted a CB last year. But I wasn't jumping up and down screaming at the TV on draft day either.

Jones is here now and you have to at least make some decisions based on the hope he gets better and produces more his 2nd season. If he doesn't, then we have legitimate decisions to debate/discuss NEXT off-season. If he does than maybe it helps eliminate a "to do list" item for the Steelers front office (which would be great).

Reliving draft day 2013 and telling everyone how right you were isn't really productive. And ******** on Jones and Adams and Gilbert isn't helping either. Only making decisions moving forward will help and I often times see a lot of bitching "what they did" and not much "they should do this".

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Do you want them to prioritize a pass rushing OLB in this draft? Are there targets in the draft you are willing to overdraft to try and displace either Jones and/or Worilds?

Does not matter what we want them to prioritize or not. They do what they feel they need to do.

But, it is also not like they are ignoring the OLB position either. They are schedued to bring in Anthony Barr for an official visit and I would be hard pressed to think they believed he was a first round option. They also scheduled to bring in DeMarcus Lawrence, who could be a potential 2nd/3rd round target.

So, it appears they are still willing to draft an OLB pretty highly.