• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers add Guard - Herbig

ianv2012

Reaction score
This means the overrated and bad Dotson is on the bench and Kendrick Greene is cut. It also means the Steelers are not going to spend a draft high draft pick on a guard.
I don't think a two year deal at 4 per that's probably set up in a way they can easily cut him after this year negates then from doing anything early in the draft. It just negates them forcing a pick and reaching. If someone falls in their lap they didn't expect, I suspect they'd still take them.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think a two year deal at 4 per that's probably set up in a way they can easily cut him after this year negates then from doing anything early in the draft. It just negates them forcing a pick and reaching. If someone falls in their lap they didn't expect, I suspect they'd still take them.
For me what a good sign is they could have easily went in another direction in free agency and not addressed G. With his ties to the assistant GM that tells me they are listening. Gives me hope in the draft that they won't pass over a BPA in the trenches if one on both sides of the ball are sitting there.

If this team wants to get to a more competitive level this is the type of moves they need to make.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I never understand things like this, unless they project him as a starter over the current players. I mean, if you go back and look at players,, jc hassenour, Hague, green, etc. are serviceable back ups. Why bring in another back up. ? Why is this a priority deal?

Of course you want an upside to a newer younger player to develop. But why carry bud to develop for 4 years,, bush etc.. Then pay and get rid of players who are doing exactly what they are intended to do? This all has to be some money shuffling scheme .

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
For me what a good sign is they could have easily went in another direction in free agency and not addressed G. With his ties to the assistant GM that tells me they are listening. Gives me hope in the draft that they won't pass over a BPA in the trenches if one on both sides of the ball are sitting there.

If this team wants to get to a more competitive level this is the type of moves they need to make.

Fully agree slash, Weild is putting his mark on FA.

I too, am less worried about Kahn and his new role and power.

Seems, the have their eyes wide open.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I never understand things like this, unless they project him as a starter over the current players. I mean, if you go back and look at players,, jc hassenour, Hague, green, etc. are serviceable back ups. Why bring in another back up. ? Why is this a priority deal?

Of course you want an upside to a newer younger player to develop. But why carry bud to develop for 4 years,, bush etc.. Then pay and get rid of players who are doing exactly what they are intended to do? This all has to be some money shuffling scheme .

This method of events also keeps up above .500 in the win loss colum.

We took a 1st round RB and left Creed Humphrey at large (twice).

I think we got an up-grade for our Gaurd dilemma, and Green will not make the 53.

Salute the nation

steelhurt

Reaction score
This is a good signing. This is a young player who has a nasty streak and plays aggressively. Big Dot better show up ready.
Someone said this means they would move James Daniels now. That’s ******* nuts! Not happening!

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

I fully expect for him to compete with BigDot for the start. Which is a fair way to approach the situation.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
In 2020 he played 346 snaps at LG. Maybe Weidl/Khan saw enough to think that is a position he could man full time. I’m not upset with the signing. We are limited in day 3 draft selections so getting a potential starter for 4 million a season isn’t a bad deal. And in reality it’s a 1 year deal if he doesn’t perform. Low risk and even if it only gets Dotson off his *** it might be worth it alone. But I would say unless Green takes a huge step forward this offseason he is likely odd man out. As Herbig can even play OC in a pinch.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He will compete with Big Dot and at the very least upgrade depth. He is a capable pass catcher and run blocker. Our trenches assistant GM knows him. He has a reputation for being nasty and a never quit blue collar guy. Think about who they had behind our starting guards last year and maybe you dislike the pick a little less. I think fans are going to be happy with this guy once they see him play..

I hope like hell we use him in the RED ZONE, might help with getting a TD or two..........................................

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I got blackout drunk in college and banged a fat chick.

I was so hungover the next day when my roommate asked me, "Who did you bang?"

I said, "I have no idea"

He said, "What did she look like?"

I stifled a response of puke rising up my throat and could only muster, "Her Big..."

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

I said, "I have no idea"

I stifled a response of puke rising up my throat and could only muster, "Her Big..."
Lizzo prefers to be referred to as big boned.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score

I said, "I have no idea"

friends don't let friends ride scooters or fat chicks

SteveA

Reaction score
It's just ****, **** and more ****.
I hate this signing. i hate it. it sucks. it's just more BIPOLAR offense. NONE of these pieces fit together, NOT ONE.
Go grab a bottle of Crown Royale & pound a couple down. Or maybe go eat some edibles, or smoke a Jay...But calm the F-U-C-K Down

The Steelers been doing this for years. They got this Bro...Chill

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

Green was/is not a serviceable backup. He was inactive for every single game last season.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think most see Dotson for what he is up and down. So not buying that he is overrated. He might be on the bench the competition will determine that. I think Herbig is an equally good run blocker and a better pass protect G in comparison.

Yeah more than likely we won't see a G early. But that doesn't mean we can't see a C or T.

Still awaiting your mock draft. Feel free to post it.😁

Dotson is not a player you want starting. He sucks! I PM'd you my mock draft. You did read it.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Dotson is not a player you want starting. He sucks! I PM'd you my mock draft. You did read it.
Nope never got any mock draft from you. You must be thinking of another poster.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
And started nearly every game the year before. He's still on the roster.

Thanks.
The fact that Tomin reached on Green in the draft, then forced him into a starting position as a rookie means nothing when it was crystal clear that Green wasn't any good. His subsequent inability to even dress for the entire 2022 season should tell you all you need to know about how "serviceable" he truly is here in 2023.

You're welcome.

steelreeling

Reaction score
He is a capable pass protect and run blocker.
No.

He's a barely serviceable pass blocker. Herbig is great at moving people, great run blocker.

But Herbig is an enormous liability in the passing game and could get Pickett hit too often, maybe even retired.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
No.

He's a barely serviceable pass blocker. Herbig is great at moving people, great run blocker.

But Herbig is an enormous liability in the passing game and could get Pickett hit too often, maybe even retired.
Per Steelers.com

"And Herbig gives them another player to add to the equation who has performed at a high level. In his more than 2,000 career snaps, he's allowed just four sacks and committed only 11 penalties"

Doesn't seem like an enormous liability. Get him in the room with our Oline coach he seemed to do well with last year's body of work.