• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers add Guard - Herbig

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I got blackout drunk in college and banged a fat chick.

I was so hungover the next day when my roommate asked me, "Who did you bang?"

I said, "I have no idea"

He said, "What did she look like?"

I stifled a response of puke rising up my throat and could only muster, "Her Big..."
I did the same, road trip to Indianapolis. Only difference is I puked before the "grand event" and she helped me out of the mens room. I think she was desperate.

steelreeling

Reaction score
The fact that Tomin reached on Green in the draft, then forced him into a starting position as a rookie means nothing when it was crystal clear that Green wasn't any good.

You're welcome.
wasnt any good -- you mean at being a ROAD-GRADER!

Green kicks f*cking *** at getting down field and washing out Safeties & LBers in open space.
Of course the offense never ran those plays.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Per Steelers.com

"And Herbig gives them another player to add to the equation who has performed at a high level. In his more than 2,000 career snaps, he's allowed just four sacks and committed only 11 penalties"

Doesn't seem like an enormous liability. Get him in the room with our Oline coach he seemed to do well with last year's body of work.
i hope that is correct.

i've seen some of his tape and read some other articles where Herbig is highly praised at run blocking and highly criticized for his pass blocking.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
wasnt any good -- you mean at being a ROAD-GRADER!

Green kicks f*cking *** at getting down field and washing out Safeties & LBers in open space.
Of course the offense never ran those plays.
It's nice that Green can wash out safeties and linebackers. Too bad he can't block defensive lineman, which is kind of important for a center.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Nope never got any mock draft from you. You must be thinking of another poster.

Check you box,Vag. I sent it. I will send it again just for you.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
dudes a road grader that’s for sure I remember him coming out of Stanford I was kinda surprised he wasn’t more prized in the draft he just plows everyone one in front of him under they should call him the grave digger. he’s huge not fast and on these double team blocks that the eagles perfected and everyone else copies there is going to be a hole open and no one is going to close it with him in the way he plays at about 350t. It will be interesting to see what the plan it here. I agree it’s an odd signing on The heels of last years signings.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Check you box,Vag. I sent it. I will send it again just for you.
Don't let SlashSteel play you. Send it 10 times if you have to. Peace out Coach!!!!!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Herbig isn't the most athletic fellow, that's for sure. Dude had the slowest 40 time in the entire 2019 combine (5.41), along with embarrassing vertical (24"), 3-cone (8.15), shuttle (5.04), and broad jump (7'6') numbers. That's why he went undrafted after he was projected to go in the middle rounds.

For what it's worth, he was a fat slob with the Eagles, but looks to have slimmed down last year as a Jet.

Might be the difference from a Philly cheese steak sandwich to a New York Hot Dog……………….

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's nice that Green can wash out safeties and linebackers. Too bad he can't block defensive lineman, which is kind of important for a center.

I about choked on my supper, this has got to be the post of the day for yesterday….. !!!!

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
dudes a road grader that’s for sure I remember him coming out of Stanford I was kinda surprised he wasn’t more prized in the draft he just plows everyone one in front of him under they should call him the grave digger. he’s huge not fast and on these double team blocks that the eagles perfected and everyone else copies there is going to be a hole open and no one is going to close it with him in the way he plays at about 350t. It will be interesting to see what the plan it here. I agree it’s an odd signing on The heels of last years signings.
So championship?

steelcan58

Reaction score
Herbig isn't the most athletic fellow, that's for sure. Dude had the slowest 40 time in the entire 2019 combine (5.41), along with embarrassing vertical (24"), 3-cone (8.15), shuttle (5.04), and broad jump (7'6') numbers. That's why he went undrafted after he was projected to go in the middle rounds.

For what it's worth, he was a fat slob with the Eagles, but looks to have slimmed down last year as a Jet.
I get the meaning of the combine because you want to draft good athletes but the 40 time in itself has to be the most over rated perimeter, especially for OL.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I get the meaning of the combine because you want to draft good athletes but the 40 time in itself has to be the most over rated perimeter, especially for OL.
Other positions as well. Plenty of fast players that don't pan out. I think it should be used as an alarm more than a prized package.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
The forty can indeed be an overrated parameter, but 5.41 is ridiculously slow, even for a lineman. And the other categories such as his near-bottom shuttle time paint a very unathletic picture for Herbig, which would indicate to me that he wouldn't be very effective at pulling from the guard position. That doesn't mean he can't be successful in other aspects of scheme blocking -- he's pretty strong and I would assume he's smart, having attended Stanford. I hope the Steelers utilize his strengths and he plays well.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The forty can indeed be an overrated parameter, but 5.41 is ridiculously slow, even for a lineman. And the other categories such as his near-bottom shuttle time paint a very unathletic picture for Herbig, which would indicate to me that he wouldn't be very effective at pulling from the guard position. That doesn't mean he can't be successful in other aspects of scheme blocking -- he's pretty strong and I would assume he's smart, having attended Stanford. I hope the Steelers utilize his strengths and he plays well.

I wonder if Herbig can beat out Dotson or other way around?? If Big Dot uses this to light his fire, then the strategy has paid off. I think Dotson can be a very good Guard in the NFL and he has shown it somewhat at times. I thin k it will be a good camp battle for that starting guard position, and that is what is needed, players challenging for positions….. makes everyone better.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

If those 40s were RAN in pads and not shorts, they would have even more USEABLE meaning.

Salute the nation

steelreeling

Reaction score
The forty can indeed be an overrated parameter, but 5.41 is ridiculously slow, even for a lineman. And the other categories such as his near-bottom shuttle time paint a very unathletic picture for Herbig, which would indicate to me that he wouldn't be very effective at pulling from the guard position.
Which is why i hated this signing - it didn't f*ckin fit. Not with all the trap, gadget and pull plays that Canada called in his inside-zone read running offense.
Now the Steelers have signed Seumalo. Now Herbig makes some sense.

Green is likely gone. Cole, Chuks & Dot are likely backups after camp. Daniels will most likely be the starter at center. The offensive line will likely become much more thick in the ***.
The Steelers look as if they are ready to punch the rock straight down the defense's throat. Clearly, they are gonna protect Pickett from receiving big whollaping hits.

Look for a mauler Right Tackle in the first 2 rounds/ rest of FA. If the O commits to this: 1. Pickens will be pii... issed & 2. it could get real interesting and in a big way for Muth.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if Herbig can beat out Dotson or other way around?? If Big Dot uses this to light his fire, then the strategy has paid off. I think Dotson can be a very good Guard in the NFL and he has shown it somewhat at times. I thin k it will be a good camp battle for that starting guard position, and that is what is needed, players challenging for positions….. makes everyone better.

Salute the nation
I think the fact that the Steelers signed not one but two guards doesn't bode well at all for Dotson. Both are upgrades in my opinion.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the fact that the Steelers signed not one but two guards doesn't bode well at all for Dotson. Both are upgrades in my opinion.

You're probably right topseed, then that will keep Datson as depth, experienced depth at that. Looking forward to the camp battle.

Salute the nation