• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers are an average team

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Average teams can make the playoffs. But yeah. I agree. Probably even below average.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
We are not elite. We are average.
Don't know how you can argue against that.

Discuss.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we're currently a 500 team. ;) Probably about where most expected us to be after 2 weeks.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
No we are an extremely talented but poorly coached team.
Not sure about the extremely talented part...No doubt we have a lot of good players but I agree about the coaching . We definitely don't have a coaching staff to turn the mediocre into championship caliber.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Is this a new revelation? This was a team entering the season with a potentially great defense, an average QB, and a terrible offensive line.

The defense finished the day minus 5 starters and the line looks like one with minimal investment over the offseason. The Steelers really believed hiring the assistant line coach, a midround center, and starting Okorafor again was going to be an upgrade over what they had last year. The run blocking is still a disaster and now they can't even protect Ben. This team will compete every week and win a good many games, but they don't look like a team that will contend for the division title.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is this a new revelation? This was a team entering the season with a potentially great defense, an average QB, and a terrible offensive line.

The defense finished the day minus 5 starters and the line looks like one with minimal investment over the offseason. The Steelers really believed hiring the assistant line coach, a midround center, and starting Okorafor again was going to be an upgrade over what they had last year. The run blocking is still a disaster and now they can't even protect Ben. This team will compete every week and win a good many games, but they don't look like a team that will contend for the division title.
When the D players are healthy I think that is enough to keep them in competition for the division title. I think that is in the realm of can happen. I don't put stock on anything past that. The Oline will have to morph into something other than the weak link for that to come about.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Average teams can make the playoffs. But yeah. I agree. Probably even below average.
Making the playoffs isn't particularly difficult. You need to be fairly good to win a playoff game however.
When's the last time we won a playoff game again? I forget.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The defense kept the horrible offense in the game last week until the offense could finally manage a first down. Remember, though, that Buffalo's decision to run some weird play on 4th and 1 and a blocked punt wound up being the difference in the game. If Josh Allen simply runs the QB sneak? Could be 0-2.

Also, watched the Raiders and the Ravens run this thing called a QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and very short. They got the 1st down every time. The Steelers should investigate if running that play with a 6'5", 255 lb. QB is legal.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Making the playoffs isn't particularly difficult. You need to be fairly good to win a playoff game however.
When's the last time we won a playoff game again? I forget.

OPENING DAY, against the Bills....................................................

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score

yeah, like said, "average". we're talking about the results here, squeaky.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

VERY good analogy on the off-season. A 3rd round center, a 4th round LT doesn't seem like very high investment. I'm sure these two players are playing their hearts out and it shows but they will take time to develope. ADD in the new OC whose scheme will take time to incorperate. Put average coaching into place, Xx & Os type coaching doesn't seem to the coaching staff's stregnth. Lastly the fact of injury, very thin at depth to fill injury needs. Injuries happen and our plan B was less then it should have been. Seems everything is band-aid but then I'n not there on a daily basis to see the backups ability other than what is shown on TV.

Average is a good place for this team but lets see if they can pull up the boot strap and elevate, it's possible with game experience.

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
OPENING DAY, against the Bills....................................................

Salute the nation
giphy-downsized.gif

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

Banner is a big part of their plans, but can never see the field.

I think the Steelers sincerely thought having an athletic power back like Harris running behind explosively strong people-movers like Banner, Dotson and Green would improve the running game enough to take pressure off of Ben.

It hasn't worked out for various reasons.

They took a gamble banking on Banner coming back from the knee injury and a rookie center.

Green is going to be a good one, I think, but he's not there yet. Same with Moore.

Stewey

Reaction score
But talent level is not what is in question. Your answer should have been yes (or worse} based on your reason!

Stewey

Reaction score
Right now we look very average. The only thing I cling to, and I know its a reach, is the fact that it was the Raiders who seem to have our number.
Maybe next week we'll snap out of it and get back on track.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Same stuff new year. It's been that way for a very long time. Still a long way to go this year.

SteveA

Reaction score
Since beginning of last year, we have TERRIBLE first halves consistently...Ben has been at the helm during that period...He's still doing nothing in the first halves...It's been and is still, the same story over, & over, & over here for the last 20 games....We're kidding ourselves, our Beloved Ben is done...He's shown nothing for basically 20 games...

We need our next QB like now

mdk2

Reaction score
Since beginning of lst year, we have TERRIBLE first halves consistently...Ben has been at the helm during that period...He's still doing nothing in the first halves...We're kidding ourselves, our Beloved Ben is done...

We need our next QB like now
That's inaccurate. First 6 games of last season, in the first half they scored 16, 17, 17, 17, 24, 24. This was when they could run the ball a little bit, that is the common denominator in all this.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Get the run game working even if only to a 50% success rate and you will see a different BEN. It's just getting to the 50% that's hard for this organization.

Salute the nation

black and gold apex

Reaction score
When watching other games even who we feel is bad look better and are more consistent than the Steelers have shown. We all know for the last few years the running game has not been even average, We have a O line that is not good and Ben as well as Harris is paying the price. Receivers get no separation because others teams see we cannot run or especially get good yardage on first down . The Tomlin still has his favorites and brings in Snell which is either lose yardage or back to the line every time. We as fans have hoped and prayed to turn this around and it is not there at this time.