• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Attempted to Trade Roethlisberger to SF in 2010

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow.

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...rt2jMn5GzO3YclpV6oRTFTJb4uB0Eu-x8vBwIcAE_HxaI

For some reason I can't copy the article. Very interesting.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Like to think they were not going straight accross for Alex Smith. I remember the draft that year. I thought they were gonna move him. Glad they didn't.

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Today at the Athletic a story was released about Mike Singletary depicting his desire to get a second chance as an NFL coach.

This obviously has nothing to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers. BUT there was an interesting tidbit in the story about Ben Roethlisberger. Singletary states that the 49ers ownership came to him and said they had a deal in place to trade for Roethlisberger.

Then, 49ers owner John York, CEO Jed York, director of player personnel Trent Baalke and other executives called Singletary to a meeting. They had a trade in place with the Steelers for Ben Roethlisberger, who had recently been accused of sexual assault for a second time. Singletary vetoed the deal.

He felt an obligation to Smith, and he also believed he needed to stand for what he had been preaching.

“I had been telling the team I wanted a team of character,” he says. “I felt I had to be true to that. But if I could do it again, I’d do it differently.”

Sounds like he would’ve taken Roethlisberger if he had a second chance at that one. Obviously we know that Roethlisberger’s legal troubles stopped and he went on to make much better decisions in life.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
IDK about this….who was the Athletic writer who released this story? San Fran beat writer or Kaboly?

Edit….I see Dan Pompei wrote it. Well that is interesting, but is Coach Singletary trying to get noticed for an interview?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Mods, can you merge this with the one from you alll?

Tnx

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Meh I think I remember rumors that they were shopping him … but i think it was more exploration than serious… Singletary might be conflating an actual trade agreement with their proposal to get him…

It’s likely that if they were going to move him they would have

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Meh I think I remember rumors that they were shopping him … but i think it was more exploration than serious… Singletary might be conflating an actual trade agreement with their proposal to get him…

It’s likely that if they were going to move him they would have
Not if no one actually in the end wanted to be a partner to the trade....they could have just released him I guess. Instead after not being able to find a partner for a trade they worked out a suspension for Ben with Goodell. No charges were ever brought up on Ben. Players before and after Ben have done far worse and nothing ever done but the Rooney's had to have the "moral high ground" for Ben to stay. I wonder what would the Rooney's have done if Ben simply got the players association to fight the entire issue for him. They simply were not part of any of it. Would the Rooney's have released Ben?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not if no one actually in the end wanted to be a partner to the trade....they could have just released him I guess. Instead after not being able to find a partner for a trade they worked out a suspension for Ben with Goodell. No charges were ever brought up on Ben. Players before and after Ben have done far worse and nothing ever done but the Rooney's had to have the "moral high ground" for Ben to stay. I wonder what would the Rooney's have done if Ben simply got the players association to fight the entire issue for him. They simply were not part of any of it. Would the Rooney's have released Ben?
They didn't. Would they have? Possibly/probably if charges and conviction would have taken place...

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This very board was full of people wanting to move him back then. Plenty wanted Bortles to come to pitt.

Joe

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing one must do is keep it in reality. What they may or may not have done was back then and not current intent today. Singletary can say / do what ever he wants but first he is remembering it in the way it is beneficery to him. It never happened so obviously they didn't trade Ben. If they inquired so be it but it doesn't change any present day fact.

To many times things are taken out of Calander Context, making something of the past pure relevant for today as if that decision was being made currently.

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Truth be told....At the time....I was in favor of moving on from Ben...

I believe the Raiders were also mentioned as being a possible trade partner at the time..

diver

Reaction score
Truth be told....At the time....I was in favor of moving on from Ben...

I believe the Raiders were also mentioned as being a possible trade partner at the time..
Yep. The world looks different when you are raising a teenage daughter at the time.

To Ben's enormous credit, he got it. He realized he was being an ***. He probably didn't do anything criminal, but he was probably guilty of being an ***. Most of these overindulged athletes never do get it.

That's why I wish this **** wouldn't even come up anymore. He has proven he got it.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. The world looks different when you are raising a teenage daughter at the time.

To Ben's enormous credit, he got it. He realized he was being an ***. He probably didn't do anything criminal, but he was probably guilty of being an ***. Most of these overindulged athletes never do get it.

That's why I wish this **** wouldn't even come up anymore. He has proven he got it.
Not to go back into the whole debate, but when I read the account, I was convinced it was cooked up. Almost no rape victim says he "had sex" with me, which is what she said. Her story changed several times, and her friends were all the ones egging her on. By the way, ever notice the "DTF" pins never came up in the national media? I read the police reports, after the initial report came out I was like **** this guy, he's gotta go, but after reading every report I could find, I changed my mind and haven't had reason to think of it differently since. Was he most likely an entitled ******** out looking for booze and *****? Yep. Did he rape anyone, I don't think he did. Did he learn to not be in those situations going forward, yes, yes he did.

Joe

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I believe her sorority sisters threw her under the bus too

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I would really question if Singletary had the power to veto a trade that the owner and gm wanted to happen.
He didn’t, there was a six game suspension being pended until the investigation was completed. They wouldn’t have traded with a suspension being there. Mr. Rooney (Dan and Art2) gave him a lot to think about in staying as a Pittsburgh Steeler. Dan himself advised Goodlell to give Ben a suspension, so maybe they floated the trade rumor to let Ben see how serious his situation was. Fortunately, his family conducted a Intervention to put his life back in order, and get his partying head out of his ***.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
He didn’t, there was a six game suspension being pended until the investigation was completed. They wouldn’t have traded with a suspension being there. Mr. Rooney (Dan and Art2) gave him a lot to think about in staying as a Pittsburgh Steeler. Dan himself advised Goodlell to give Ben a suspension, so maybe they floated the trade rumor to let Ben see how serious his situation was. Fortunately, his family conducted a Intervention to put his life back in order, and get his partying head out of his ***.
Oh wicked things
come from yun down under
the little head overtakes
the big head
and sometimes
causes a blunder

The hunt for a new ride
I must confide
can often cause
a momentus slide

Ode to this
wide-eyed pocket monster
Mr. Boombastic
It was great
while it lasted.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score

It’s likely that if they were going to move him they woulde have
No one wanted him. I think the Raiders showed interest, but the story going around was they wanted "bonus" incentives let's say if they were to take him, too rich for the Steelers.

I said it like this yesterday on Facebook: If he would have been traded to the 49ers, on that day till today the Pittsburgh Steelers would have won 0 Super Bowls.

Since he wasn't traded and stayed ,from that day till today the Steelers won 0 Super Bowls.

Life is all about perspective.......
He was exciting to watch, but way too many flaws in his game. Thanks 7 it was what it was....

steelhurt

Reaction score
I don’t know about this story. If a deal was indeed in place and the Niners owner and execs were all on board but not the HC. That sounds like bs to me. They would have pulled that trigger in a moment for a two time SB winner for a young 27-28 year old QB despite any objections from Singletsry.

Also, let me add this what Ed Bouchette said this morning on The Fan Radio show. That Dan Rooney told him at the time they were standing behind Ben and had no intention of trading him. I think Singletary has another motive here.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

It’s something he is going to have to live with. Outside of Steelers fans and appreciative football fans, he isn’t well liked. However, he’ll be fine. Ex athletes are not sought after news like actors and musicians.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
I would really question if Singletary had the power to veto a trade that the owner and gm wanted to happen.
Singletary is known for being a straight shooter. I highly, highly doubt he would make a story up for no apparent reason or gain to come from it.