• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers current WR depth

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So while there is a high probability of the steelers spending a premium pick on a wr, lets look at some of the other options on the roster right now outside of DJ and Claypool… because at least one of them could be very likely on the active gameday roster.

The stats are the best I could find. The ages, heights and weights are from the steelers site, the speed stats are from a couple different locations… and be warned, they aren’t the end all be all for anything. Bussey, for instance was measured at 6’0 at the combine, but has since grown 2 inches, and sims had a bad 40 day and was later timed for the redskins at 3.3-3.38 … so you never go solely off of that…

For comparison here are our two starters right now

S1. Dionte Johnson-------- age 25 -- 5’10” 183 lbs --40 time: 4.53 –shuttle 4.45 ---3cone 7.09

S2. Chase Claypool---------age 24 -- 6’4” 238 lbs --40 time: 4.42 –shuttle DNR ---3cone DNR

Here are the contenders on the roster

1. Anthony Miller--------- age 27 -- 5’11” 199 lbs --40 time: 4.50 –shuttle 4.26 ---3cone 6.65

2. Steven Sims------------ age 25 -- 5’10” 176 lbs --40 time: 4.56 –shuttle 4.43 ---3cone 7.20

3. Cody White------------- age 23 -- 6’3” 215 lbs ---40 time: 4.66 --shuttle 4.52 --3cone 7.19

4. Rico Busey-------------- age 24 -- 6’ 2” 190 lbs --40 time: 4.50 –shuttle 4.26 ---3cone 7.21

5. Tyler Vaughn----------- age 24 -- 6’2” 246 lbs ---40 time: 4.69 –shuttle 4.40 ---3cone 7.15

Now we also have Gunner, but the thing with him is he is a converted DB and his wr skills are… well lets call them unproven…

** Gunner Olszewski---- age 25 -- 6’0 190 lbs-----40 time: 4.56 –shuttle 4.37 ---3cone 6.88

The Other wr's on the roster:
  • Now the guy most likely to get a spot is Anthony Miller… he played his first three years in Chicago, getting 33, 52, and 49 catches over those years… he started one game for Houston last year before coming over to us… he basically didn’t play last year, spending most of his time on our PS…
    For his career he has over 1500 yards and 12 tds… he has 18 career starts.
    This guy has a little more speed and quickness then DJ . He is an good option as a 3rd or 4th wr.

• The other guy with some experience is Steven Sims. Sims played two years for the Redskins/WTF they are now Washington mess. In 2019 he caught the 3rd most passes (34, 2nd most for their wrs) despite having only 2 starts… in 2020 he was buried by targets going almost exclusively to mclaurin or rbs and tes… If you want a guy used to catching passes from all sorts of different QBs he is your guy… those WFT/redskins teams were a mess offensively and this guy has the ability to be a good slot type

• The third most likely addition is Cody White. He is currently the second biggest wr on the roster and the staff loves him. He caught 5 of 6 passes he was targeted with last year and while he doesn’t have that 4.5 speed a deep wr needs, his contested catch ability gives us what James Washington was supposed to as a #4 or #5 wr he could stick.

• Rico Bussey might be ready for a huge breakout camp… in 2019 he tore an acl and he looked a lot better in camp last year. All the scouting reports before the injury were about his speed and explosive acceleration. If that’s back don’t be surprise if he displaces someone to make the team

• Tyler Vaughn was a gamble based off of college production. I'm not sure he has the speed or burst to make this roster unless he developed a lot in the offseason. I think he has potential to be someone's 5wr, but frankly everyone ahead of him does something he does better or faster…

So there you go… its possible we aren’t quite as shallow there as some think… though I seriously believe they must add a burner to this group… I also believe that unless Gunner shows a lot at wr, we should keep an extra wr this year

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Miller ran a 4.38. Dude is fast. In his one play on O last year, he showed very good hands and body control even though it was only a 1-yard reception. Something is amiss here as Tomlin just would not put him on the active roster or on the field even though we needed WR's.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So while there is a high probability of the steelers spending a premium pick on a wr, lets look at some of the other options on the roster right now outside of DJ and Claypool… because at least one of them could be very likely on the active gameday roster.

The stats are the best I could find. The ages, heights and weights are from the steelers site, the speed stats are from a couple different locations… and be warned, they aren’t the end all be all for anything. Bussey, for instance was measured at 6’0 at the combine, but has since grown 2 inches, and sims had a bad 40 day and was later timed for the redskins at 3.3-3.38 … so you never go solely off of that…

For comparison here are our two starters right now

S1. Dionte Johnson-------- age 25 -- 5’10” 183 lbs --40 time: 4.53 –shuttle 4.45 ---3cone 7.09

S2. Chase Claypool---------age 24 -- 6’4” 238 lbs --40 time: 4.42 –shuttle DNR ---3cone DNR

Here are the contenders on the roster

1. Anthony Miller--------- age 27 -- 5’11” 199 lbs --40 time: 4.50 –shuttle 4.26 ---3cone 6.65

2. Steven Sims------------ age 25 -- 5’10” 176 lbs --40 time: 4.56 –shuttle 4.43 ---3cone 7.20

3. Cody White------------- age 23 -- 6’3” 215 lbs ---40 time: 4.66 --shuttle 4.52 --3cone 7.19

4. Rico Busey-------------- age 24 -- 6’ 2” 190 lbs --40 time: 4.50 –shuttle 4.26 ---3cone 7.21

5. Tyler Vaughn----------- age 24 -- 6’2” 246 lbs ---40 time: 4.69 –shuttle 4.40 ---3cone 7.15

Now we also have Gunner, but the thing with him is he is a converted DB and his wr skills are… well lets call them unproven…

** Gunner Olszewski---- age 25 -- 6’0 190 lbs-----40 time: 4.56 –shuttle 4.37 ---3cone 6.88

The Other wr's on the roster:
  • Now the guy most likely to get a spot is Anthony Miller… he played his first three years in Chicago, getting 33, 52, and 49 catches over those years… he started one game for Houston last year before coming over to us… he basically didn’t play last year, spending most of his time on our PS…
    For his career he has over 1500 yards and 12 tds… he has 18 career starts.
    This guy has a little more speed and quickness then DJ . He is an good option as a 3rd or 4th wr.

• The other guy with some experience is Steven Sims. Sims played two years for the Redskins/WTF they are now Washington mess. In 2019 he caught the 3rd most passes (34, 2nd most for their wrs) despite having only 2 starts… in 2020 he was buried by targets going almost exclusively to mclaurin or rbs and tes… If you want a guy used to catching passes from all sorts of different QBs he is your guy… those WFT/redskins teams were a mess offensively and this guy has the ability to be a good slot type

• The third most likely addition is Cody White. He is currently the second biggest wr on the roster and the staff loves him. He caught 5 of 6 passes he was targeted with last year and while he doesn’t have that 4.5 speed a deep wr needs, his contested catch ability gives us what James Washington was supposed to as a #4 or #5 wr he could stick.

• Rico Bussey might be ready for a huge breakout camp… in 2019 he tore an acl and he looked a lot better in camp last year. All the scouting reports before the injury were about his speed and explosive acceleration. If that’s back don’t be surprise if he displaces someone to make the team

• Tyler Vaughn was a gamble based off of college production. I'm not sure he has the speed or burst to make this roster unless he developed a lot in the offseason. I think he has potential to be someone's 5wr, but frankly everyone ahead of him does something he does better or faster…

So there you go… its possible we aren’t quite as shallow there as some think… though I seriously believe they must add a burner to this group… I also believe that unless Gunner shows a lot at wr, we should keep an extra wr this year

Great post madinsomniac, it really tells us whats on the roster.

I still think Miller will be active and a part of a contributing factor. His speed should get him a nod but I think his ability to catch is there as well.

If Canada doesn't actually have a deep play section in his offensive then ................................ we will continue to see the bubble / jet sweep / short of the marker throws and speed isn't needed for those -4 to + 3 yard pass attack.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Miller ran a 4.38. Dude is fast. In his one play on O last year, he showed very good hands and body control even though it was only a 1-yard reception. Something is amiss here as Tomlin just would not put him on the active roster or on the field even though we needed WR's.
Yes miller and sims are faster than their recorded 40 times on various scouting reports… you can calculate game speed off of game tape now. And I absolutely thought last year he was a real option to play and we never really used him.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes miller and sims are faster than their recorded 40 times on various scouting reports… you can calculate game speed off of game tape now. And I absolutely thought last year he was a real option to play and we never really used him.
That was definitely odd. Especially with a struggling group.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
This very well could be what Ben wanted and was ‘comfortable’ with. I always thought Miller could challenge Dionte for his job with is route running and speed- with Trubisky tossing the rock, and his scrambling ability- we could see Miller and Sims possibly in the mix.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

The real struggling group was coaching with Matt O'Canada being the starr.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This very well could be what Ben wanted and was ‘comfortable’ with. I always thought Miller could challenge Dionte for his job with is route running and speed- with Trubisky tossing the rock, and his scrambling ability- we could see Miller and Sims possibly in the mix.

I hope you are right about in the mix.

Why would BEN want to hold back the offense when he showed clearly he could manuver it, watch when coaching took off the hand-cuffs durring the games.

Just asking for a friend

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Well they were trying to get Washington to work and were infatuated with Cody White too, but I suspect that maybe it had something to do with something extracurricular like qb favoritism or the ufa comp pick status… something dummb….lol

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope you are right about in the mix.

Why would BEN want to hold back the offense when he showed clearly he could manuver it, watch when coaching took off the hand-cuffs durring the games.

Just asking for a friend

Salute the nation
Was he maneuvering it or was he just going with what he knows and who he’s comfortable with? I get the sense- and it’s pretty obvious he was still running Fichntner’s playbook with Canada trying to muddle through it. Maybe he was just sticking with his guys and his plays and how he (Ben) likes things without changing too much. After a few more years we’ll hear more about it.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Was he maneuvering it or was he just going with what he knows and who he’s comfortable with? I get the sense- and it’s pretty obvious he was still running Fichntner’s playbook with Canada trying to muddle through it. Maybe he was just sticking with his guys and his plays and how he (Ben) likes things without changing too much. After a few more years we’ll hear more about it.

I hear what you're say Falco !!! It's to bad Ben was stuck behind that offensive line and the shutty play calling of O'Canada.

I'm sure Ben had his favorites but coaching also has a say in it.

I like the idea of talking about it in a coule years as well so as we can see what the new 2nd year Matt O'Canada can do with out BEN.

Personally,....... I want this offense to explode into major dominance for head-ach city to all defenses, regrdless of coaching & player fit. Bottom line is if the personal / coaches / team is doing well then that means I'm a happy camper !!!! (which I will be doing as I'm building a KAYAK trailer to haul my KAYAKs and camp some this summer)

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So we Added a ton to the WR room since this thread started…

2nd rounder George Pickens, who assuredly has a spot barring injury…

4th rounder Calvin Austin, who is probably the fastest receiver on the team now and likely has an inside track to the kr/pr duties

Vet and ex ratbird Miles Boykin, who plays special teams as well..

And udfa Tyler Snead, the smallest wr on the team… doesn’t have the speed of CA3… more like a Ryan Switzer type..

So far Anthony Miller and Tyler Vaughn have been pushing for roster spots… there is a metric ton of depth here..
locked roster spots are DJ, Claypool and Pickens, leaving 2 spots at most.. if CA3 takes the returner duties from gunner, then that leaves one spot..

If two or more guys really show promise, DJ may become expendable, though it’s unlikely…

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So we Added a ton to the WR room since this thread started…

2nd rounder George Pickens, who assuredly has a spot barring injury…

4th rounder Calvin Austin, who is probably the fastest receiver on the team now and likely has an inside track to the kr/pr duties

Vet and ex ratbird Miles Boykin, who plays special teams as well..

And udfa Tyler Snead, the smallest wr on the team… doesn’t have the speed of CA3… more like a Ryan Switzer type..

So far Anthony Miller and Tyler Vaughn have been pushing for roster spots… there is a metric ton of depth here..
locked roster spots are DJ, Claypool and Pickens, leaving 2 spots at most.. if CA3 takes the returner duties from gunner, then that leaves one spot..

If two or more guys really show promise, DJ may become expendable, though it’s unlikely…
I look at CA3 and Gunner as 4 and 5 locks. Which leaves the last man standing between Boykin and Miller. Vaughn probably is PS despite the early production.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
As of today, DJ is by far the best and most talented receiver on the roster. I don’t know if a contract gets done, but the last thing you want to do is go into the season with Claypool and Pickens as your 1-2. The rest of that depth chart isn’t scaring any defenses and it feels like WR has become like CB where teams need three strong options at the top.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
What jummped to me, more than than his 40 was his 3 cone, the kid could be a stud slot receiver. Remember that Chargers WR that torched us on inside routes (keenan allen probably?)? Something like that