• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Deal for Minkah Fitzpatrick

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I said a while ago that they should just give up on drafting DB's since they're lousy at it and just sign proven players like Haden from other teams. Looks like they took my advice.

Vindrow

Sniffer of the glue
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't think they had it in them to do this....but, I like this move..especially since he still has 3 years on his rookie contract with a 5th year option. We now have 3 first round DB draft picks. With Haden and Nelson playing as good as they are, and now with adding Fitzpatrick, we could essentially shut down the opposing teams passing attack.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I love how proactive Colbert's been in restocking this secondary. They clearly identified a dire, problematic area and have taken bold steps to fix it. Can't fault our FO for sitting by idly. The defense must get better this year, simply has to. The first 30 minutes vs. Seahawks is how they should playing through 4 quarters, each and every game.

<time datetime="2019-09-17T02:43:59.000Z"></time>Steelers defensive backs in 2017:

Artie Burns
Ross Cockrell
Williams Gay
Coty Sensabaugh
Mike Hilton
Robert Golden
Sean Davis

Steelers defensive backs as of tonight:

Minkah Fitzpatrick
Joe Haden
Steven Nelson
Terrell Edmunds
Sean Davis
Mike Hilton
Justin Layne

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
With Davis having a torn labrum I would think they put him at FS. I am stoked.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Getting Davis out of the starting line up is a plus. But we gave up too much and the 2020 draft will be a weaker one.

The Miami Dolphins safety is being traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, along with a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 seventh-round pick, in exchange for a first- and fifth-round pick in 2020 and 2021 sixth-round pick, sources told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport

So we don't have a 1st, or 3rd round pick ( Bush trade up ) in 2020, and we are likely to have our worst record in years.

This is the type of move if you have Ben and make a run, but Ben is out for the year. Fitzpatrick is a good player though.

Last edited:

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the type of move if you have Ben and make a run, but Ben is out for the year.

You'll never be accused of not being short-sighted, I'll give you that.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Getting Davis out of the starting line up is a plus. But we gave up too much and the 2020 draft will be a weaker one.

. [/FONT][/COLOR]

So we don't have a 1st, or 3rd round pick ( Bush trade up ) in 2020, and we are likely to have our worst record in years.

This is the type of move if you have Ben and make a run, but Ben is out for the year. Fitzpatrick is a good player though.

Apparently this move was made for not just this season but many years after also. Don't be so short-sighted.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
My guess is he becomes a safety. He played and excelled at every DB position in Nick Saban's defense at Bama.

Fitz is a huge upgrade over Davis who might not be resigned now. A playmaker was added. I like him at FS, with some slot corner as I Think Hilton is okay in the slot.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Apparently this move was made for not just this season but many years after also. Don't be so short-sighted.

While I get that, if Ben can't make it back we are in rebuilding mode and we really can't say how good, bad or average Rudolph is yet. We are not in win now mode, and our window to win with Ben might have closed.

The good news is Fitz is a good player and we have him for cheap for many years.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I think they have a projected comp 3rd. So that is a 2,3,4,4,7,7 I think..

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think they have a projected comp 3rd. So that is a 2,3,4,4,5,7,7 I think..

Thanks but it's still too early to think draft. I'm not ready to give up on the season even if I think this is a 7-9 type of year. A projected 3rd comp is pick #97 at best.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Your wish would come true. Again, Davis' stats were better than Minkah's last year.

Note - Minkah was a rookie.

Get some breakfast. Enjoy the day...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Steeler Nation mobile app

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
While I get that, if Ben can't make it back we are in rebuilding mode and we really can't say how good, bad or average Rudolph is yet. We are not in win now mode, and our window to win with Ben might have closed.

The good news is Fitz is a good player and we have him for cheap for many years.
My big fingers liked this again. I do not BTW...

Not in win mode???

Grow a pair.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Making this deal basically means the Steelers are changing their philosophy of building a team in the draft and it means we pretty much have NO 2020 draft. So, any holes we have to fill will be from free agent signings or keeping our own (including Bud, which will make many heads explode).

Fitzpatrick, Bush, Edmunds and Watt are the future of this D, assuming we can afford them. Big contracts for all 4 when their current deals expire.

I also love this quote from an ESPN article I read this morning: "The defense now has eight former first-round picks in its starting lineup. If Mike Tomlin can’t make that work …"

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
Love the move! Guy is a top 10 talent at a position we desperately need in his 2nd year in the league. Somebody was giving up a first for this guy and I’m glad it was us. He’s going to be a special player in this league. Unfortunately no way you’re getting him for a 2nd and especially with his contract.

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
Also, Sean Davis will be a good back up at safety when healthy. He’s not someone I would want to commit to being our starter for the next 4-5 years.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
A healthy way to look at it, when pick #11 rolls around at the top of the draft next year, just slot in Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers, and voila, you have your 1st round pick.

Minkah is two years younger than Artie Burns and Cam Sutton, three years younger than Davis & Hilton...and a year younger than Dionte Johnson, for that matter.

Last edited:

johngaenzler

Reaction score
There are good/potentially great players available through at least the top 5 rounds of the draft. Giving up a #1 for a 22-year old already good/likely-great player in a position of dire need on this defense was simply the obvious thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

mdk2

Reaction score
This move was made because Ben, Tomlin, and Colbert are done in 3 years. They are trying to win and not necessarily this season considering Minkah has 4 years left. They know Ben will be back next year to make a run, this isn’t because they think Mason is God’s gift to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkman dan

Reaction score
My only question now is how do they ease him onto the field in his first/short/west coast trip week while at the same time keeping Kam Kelly's snaps to a minimum :)

milkman dan

Reaction score
Also, with Fitz in the starting lineup and including Baron over Vince, this D is compromised of 8 first round picks, 1 second rounder, and 2 third rounders. If they still can't get their act together, then Butler definitely absolutely for certain needs to go.