• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Deal for Minkah Fitzpatrick

NYSteel

Reaction score
Apparently this move was made for not just this season but many years after also. Don't be so short-sighted.
Prudent observation.

The Steelers essentially received their 2020 1st round draft choice a year early. I place the value of the player right now as well above the lost late round choices that Miami received.

It has been very well noted in so many threads, that having a HOF QB like BR likely has extended the stay of Mr. Tomlin. I personally, am not a fan of his. I rarely see this team prepared for their opponents where emphasis is being placed on attacking weaknesses based on their film study, tendencies, what have you.

It's the same recipe of plays fed to their opponents, and 'beat me if you can' approach.

I'm still stewing about losing Tuzar to the Giants. Watching Jarvis Dupree out there is mind numbing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Steeler Nation mobile app

deljzc

Reaction score
A healthy way to look at it, when pick #11 rolls around at the top of the draft next year, just slot in Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers, and voila, you have your 1st round pick.

Minkah is two years younger than Artie Burns and Cam Sutton, three years younger than Davis & Hilton...and a year younger than Dionte Johnson, for that matter.

Except that the "draft pick" that is Fitzpatrick will be 2 years older and have a rookie contract that is two years shorter and his big money deal will come two years quicker.

That is partly why draft picks are valued so highly by GM's even though their success rates are not the same as 1st-contract veterans (who, I guess have NFL tape and a better guarantee of fitting in the system).

It's an interesting move. Very un-Steeler like. Very un-Colbert like.

To me it kind of reeks of being ready for 2020 WITH Roethlisberger back. That they already have assurances from the doctors and Roethlisberger himself that he will be back in 2020.

Because you'd think, that if it was the other way and they were in the market for potential QB's, they would keep 1st round picks just in case Rudolf doesn't work out.

Either that or they are oblivious to Roethlisberger's potential retirement or too arrogant in their evaluation of Rudolf already. And believe me, I don't put that past Tombert at all.

skline00

Reaction score
Ease him on to the field? Good lord, this team is 0-2, on the road playing a resurgent SF 49er squad that is 2 and 0 AND we lost Big Ben for the season.
You can’t afford to ease anyone onto the field.
ALl Hands on Deck!

6Rings

Reaction score
Just remember. Guys like Lou Holtz, Bill Parcels were able to go to garbage teams with little talent and get the defense to play tough. We have how many first rounders, and can not even slow down a team. It does not matter who they bring in. The coaching staff are complete idiots. Tomlin would need the AFC Pro Bowl team to look average as a coach.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, with Fitz in the starting lineup and including Baron over Vince, this D is compromised of 8 first round picks, 1 second rounder, and 2 third rounders. If they still can't get their act together, then Butler definitely absolutely for certain needs to go.

I mentioned this from an article on ESPN. But, Tomlin has been running the D since LeBeau left. Rooney won't fire him so Butler will be the scapegoat. Nothing will change unless Tomlin changes or is gone.

milkman dan

Reaction score
Ease him on to the field? Good lord, this team is 0-2, on the road playing a resurgent SF 49er squad that is 2 and 0 AND we lost Big Ben for the season.
You can’t afford to ease anyone onto the field.
ALl Hands on Deck!

Therein lies the implied humor of my post. A guy traveling to his new team on a Tuesday, going to the opposite coast in a couple of days, with those perceived obstacles impeding his getting up to speed in the system still being a more viable option than Kam Kelly. I'll put two smiley faces this time :) :)

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jesus Christ! Last week you where all bitching because we couldn't get the deal done. Now you are bitching because we got the deal done.

Relax,............have a Home Brew.

Salute the nation

Reactions: wig

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, with Fitz in the starting lineup and including Baron over Vince, this D is compromised of 8 first round picks, 1 second rounder, and 2 third rounders. If they still can't get their act together, then Butler and the other DC as well definitely absolutely for certain needs to go.

Little help for yaz

Salute the nation

milkman dan

Reaction score
I mentioned this from an article on ESPN. But, Tomlin has been running the D since LeBeau left. Rooney won't fire him so Butler will be the scapegoat. Nothing will change unless Tomlin changes or is gone.

For the record, I think Butler should have been let go this past off-season. Also, we've seen the Offense change for the better with moves Tomlin has made, so I'm open to him bringing someone of his choosing in. And I know, I know, tOmLiN nEedS t0 gO, but I'm dealing with what I think is realistic and could objectively happen, not the entire front office getting fired in January or starters getting cut post game.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the move, I just wish it wasn't for a first.

Doesn't matter though, we can get that first back when we trade Ben next year...

milkman dan

Reaction score
As far as 53rd, who knows? Chick to IR? Dangerfield to the ps?

Steelers1356

Reaction score
A healthy way to look at it, when pick #11 rolls around at the top of the draft next year, just slot in Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers, and voila, you have your 1st round pick.

Yep, you already have a top pick in the biggest position of need. No guarantee one would've fallen to us in the top 11 of the draft, who knows you might end up settling for a LB or offensive tackle as BPA which is more of a luxury pick. And 2020 is not expected to be a particularly strong draft for QB's, and I think we'll be fine with Rudolph anyway. And who knows maybe we'll be drafting later than 11.

mdk2

Reaction score
I like the move, I just wish it wasn't for a first.

Doesn't matter though, we can get that first back when we trade Ben next year...

Lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black and gold apex

Reaction score
So does Tomlin finally get rid of burns another wasted first rounder. This trade could g sideways for the Steelers, if we have bad season and you have given up all these picks what good has it done. Either Tomlin and Colbert are happy with all other positions and feel no improvement is needed or this was a knee jerk action for how the defense has played in two weeks. Throw in if the coaches feel Rudolph is nor capable to move the offense, so we want the defense to keep us in games , is this the answer, a player unhappy wants traded from a losing team as we are 0-2 ????

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition, if you think that Ben doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract you would have to be nuts.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Now trade Burns for whatever bag of dicks you can get. Fitzpatrick makes this even easier decision to make. While they are at it, trade Hargrave for picks as soon as possible. I like the guy. Great first step and quicks for a big man. Strong and talented dude but that strong and talented dude is on the pine most of the time in this defensive scheme. Toss in Chick and Tyler M. as part of a deal as well it it will get it done.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
My only question now is how do they ease him onto the field in his first/short/west coast trip week while at the same time keeping Kam Kelly's snaps to a minimum :)

I'd have Kam Kelly watching the facility back in da 'Burgh w/ Moncrief...Oh wait, need a little depth because Sean Davis is out...crap.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Except that the "draft pick" that is Fitzpatrick will be 2 years older and have a rookie contract that is two years shorter and his big money deal will come two years quicker.

That is partly why draft picks are valued so highly by GM's even though their success rates are not the same as 1st-contract veterans (who, I guess have NFL tape and a better guarantee of fitting in the system).

It's an interesting move. Very un-Steeler like. Very un-Colbert like.

To me it kind of reeks of being ready for 2020 WITH Roethlisberger back. That they already have assurances from the doctors and Roethlisberger himself that he will be back in 2020.

Because you'd think, that if it was the other way and they were in the market for potential QB's, they would keep 1st round picks just in case Rudolf doesn't work out.

Either that or they are oblivious to Roethlisberger's potential retirement or too arrogant in their evaluation of Rudolf already. And believe me, I don't put that past Tombert at all.

Who is this "Rudolf" guy???

madinsomniac

Reaction score
What I like about the deal:
The guy is young and talented.
He has had prior coaching to coming here... we cannot develop DBs well...

What I don’t like:
Trading a draft pick in a year ben is put risks a potential top five pick... I don’t think its likely to happen but he isn’t worth that if it did....

Willingness to trade high draft picks... the staple of the turnaround under dan Rooney was him mandating no more trading high picks for other people’s garbage vets and problem prospects...

Lack of picks next year.. if this staff showed any promise as one that can develop raw talent id be fine with taking on a ton of udfa prospects... but Tomlin’s pedigree fetish makes me think of the coach just prior to Noll... and I see us filling holes with more garbage mediocre vets...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Here is what I think will happen. Davis will go on IR with the return designation. Mink will take over FS duties. When Davis returns Mink will shift inside and take over Hilton's spot.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Making this deal basically means the Steelers are changing their philosophy of building a team in the draft and it means we pretty much have NO 2020 draft. So, any holes we have to fill will be from free agent signings or keeping our own (including Bud, which will make many heads explode).

Fitzpatrick, Bush, Edmunds and Watt are the future of this D, assuming we can afford them. Big contracts for all 4 when their current deals expire.

I also love this quote from an ESPN article I read this morning: "The defense now has eight former first-round picks in its starting lineup. If Mike Tomlin can’t make that work …"

And next year they should have tons of cap space