• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Early Roster Outlook for 2022

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It’s never too early to think about Pittsburgh Steelers football and project just what exactly the roster will look like next season, especially because for the first time in a long time, there’s a question mark at the quarterback position. Since we’re still approximately two months from the start of NFL Free Agency and three months from the NFL Draft, we will stick to the guys under contract that seemingly will be back.

We’ll start on the offensive side of the ball where most key playmakers return. The outcome of JuJu Smith-Schuster’s contract situation has yet to be determined, but the team returns Chase Claypool, Diontae Johnson, and of course rookies Najee Harris and Pat Freiermuth. The 3/5 returning starting offensive linemen will have a chance to grow in Kevin Dotson, Dan Moore Jr., and Kendrick Green. Zach Banner and Joe Haeg are two guys currently under contract for the 2022-2023 season that are question marks. The Steelers will presumably make additions to this offensive line that struggled but showed some signs of promise.

The elephant in the room of course is the quarterback position. For the first time in at least 18 years, we are uncertain who the starter will be next year without Big Ben returning. Mason Rudolph is currently the only QB under contract for next year. The team will certainly make moves at the position by way of the draft and/or free agency.

The defensive side of the ball has less question marks, but still plenty of their own. Almost the entire defensive line is under contract for the upcoming season in Cam Heyward, Tyson Alualu, Chris Wormley, Isaiahh Loudermilk, TJ Watt and Alex Highsmith. With the return of Stephon Tuitt in question, defensive line is a place the Steelers could look to make additions to.

Devin Bush and Joe Schobert are both under contract and expected to return to the Steelers in 2022, but with up and down play throughout the year, and in Schobert’s case a $10M cap hit, ILB is a position the Steelers may key in on in the off-season.

The biggest question marks come in the secondary, however. With Joe Haden‘s deal running up and the Steelers only returning Cam Sutton, James Pierre, and Justin Layne at the cornerback position, it is a likely candidate to be near the top of the Steelers off-season needs. Back and currently on the last year of his rookie deal is Minkah Fitzpatrick, along side rookie Tre Noorwood who showed some flashes of promise in the secondary. The big question mark at the safety position is Terrell Edmunds and if he returns. Edmunds is set to be a free agent in March.

On the special teams side of things, Chris Boswell returns for what is currently his last year under contract. Rookie punter Pressley Harvin III enters year two coming off a shaky rookie season. Return man Ray-Ray McCloud is currently set to become a free agent in March as well.

The Steelers have a few questions marks headed into the 2022 NFL season, but with plenty of key guys returning, it’s easy to be optimistic about next year. At least a couple of those questions will have to be answered correctly if the Steelers want to find themselves in the playoffs for a third consecutive season. The Steelers currently have $41.9M in cap space for the 2022 season (per Over The Cap) to shape the roster for next season. The next couple of months will hopefully bring a lot of optimism about Steeler football!

Let us know what moves you think the Steelers should make in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Aaron Rogers on this current roster isn't winning anything. Yeah, I'm not trading three 1st round picks for him at age 38. Tomlin isn't winning a SB with Tom Brady.
I dunno that punt punt punt punt punt opening drives wouldn't exist. Would depend on if they made the right off-season acquisitions (probably a long shot here) and if they got an OC/DC that could be X and O proficient. (probably another long shot) Yeah just don't have a lot of confidence in the decision making immediate future...

PolamaluFanForever43

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but why would a top flight aging QB come here to play behind this trash OL and play calling?

mdk2

Reaction score
I dunno that punt punt punt punt punt opening drives wouldn't exist. Would depend on if they made the right off-season acquisitions (probably a long shot here) and if they got an OC/DC that could be X and O proficient. (probably another long shot) Yeah just don't have a lot of confidence in the decision making immediate future...
Rogers would throw that OL under the bus immediately. Think he would be as patient as Ben is with the WRs and their drops and wrong routes?

He would not hesitate to say he doesn't like the OC's play calling either. Maybe everyone would love that but if Ben did that, he would get absolutely killed for it.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
We sign everyone with expired contracts. Or we can let them all walk.
We can make a big splash in free agency and bring in a big name or two. Or we could sit tight all through free agency and raid the bargain bin.
We can trade our future away and move up in the draft for a top QB. Or we can roll with Mason/Dwayne and bring in a QB sitting on someone's depth chart right now,.. or draft another project in the later rounds.

We can do all of that. Some of that. None of that. What is a certainty is that... in the end.... if the common denominator to this whole thing remains (HCMT). it is a high probability that we will endure the same wash, rinse, repeat scenario play out again & again.

What's that definition of insanity again?

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Relax guys a I saw it today on the twitter feed. With nearly 41 million in cap room- I hope they use it properly. Sure up other position needs. I’m ok with suffering through Rudy for a year or 2 to get it right. It’s easy to miss on a quarterback - especially one that commands a huge chunk of salary…

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
I would 100% try to trade Tomlin. Surely he would love a job in Miami or something

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Relax guys a I saw it today on the twitter feed. With nearly 41 million in cap room- I hope they use it properly. Sure up other position needs. I’m ok with suffering through Rudy for a year or 2 to get it right. It’s easy to miss on a quarterback - especially one that commands a huge chunk of salary…
I loved the pic. Nice to have an early one of our QB next year.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I would 100% try to trade Tomlin. Surely he would love a job in Miami or something
Or The Alaskan pipeline. Or Bermuda ..triangle.😁

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
In the past, weren't the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl at least a week apart. I seem to remember guys from the Shrine Game getting invites as injury replacements. This year they are two days apart. Wonder why.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll look at this a little differently and rank the starters (as they stand now) on each side of the ball.

Offensive player rankings heading into 2022:
  1. Najee Harris, RB
  2. Diontae Johnson, WR
  3. Pat Freiermuth, TE
  4. Chase Claypool, WR
  5. Derek Watt, FB
  6. Kevin Dotson, LG
  7. Mason Rudolph, QB
  8. Dan Moore, LT
  9. OPEN, WR
  10. OPEN, RT
  11. OPEN, RG
  12. Kendrick Green, C
Defensive player rankings heading into 2022:
  1. TJ Watt, EDGE
  2. Cam Heyward, IDL
  3. Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS
  4. Stephon Tuitt, DE
  5. Tyson Alualu, NT
  6. Alex Highsmith, EDGE
  7. Cam Sutton, CB3
  8. Joe Schobert, ILB
  9. Devin Bush, ILB
  10. OPEN, CB1
  11. OPEN, CB2
  12. OPEN, SS
Starters entering free agency:
  1. Joe Haden, CB1
  2. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB2
  3. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR
  4. Terrell Edmunds, SS
  5. Chukwuma Okorafar, RT
  6. Trai Turner, RG

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but why would a top flight aging QB come here to play behind this trash OL and play calling?

The alure of a "Player's Coach" would be my guess................................. BOOM

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll look at this a little differently and rank the starters (as they stand now) on each side of the ball.

Offensive player rankings heading into 2022:
  1. Najee Harris, RB
  2. Diontae Johnson, WR
  3. Pat Freiermuth, TE
  4. Chase Claypool, WR
  5. Derek Watt, FB
  6. Kevin Dotson, LG
  7. Mason Rudolph, QB
  8. Dan Moore, LT
  9. OPEN, WR
  10. OPEN, RT
  11. OPEN, RG
  12. Kendrick Green, C
Defensive player rankings heading into 2022:
  1. TJ Watt, EDGE
  2. Cam Heyward, IDL
  3. Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS
  4. Stephon Tuitt, DE
  5. Tyson Alualu, NT
  6. Alex Highsmith, EDGE
  7. Cam Sutton, CB3
  8. Joe Schobert, ILB
  9. Devin Bush, ILB
  10. OPEN, CB1
  11. OPEN, CB2
  12. OPEN, SS
Starters entering free agency:
  1. Joe Haden, CB1
  2. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB2
  3. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR
  4. Terrell Edmunds, SS
  5. Chukwuma Okorafar, RT
  6. Trai Turner, RG

Okorafar & Turner should not even be a consideration to return, Haden at a reasonable price. JuJu but not at a #1 price, probably similar to this years contract, if possible. Tuitt either put up or try to move him if possible but that needs to happen on the front end and not latter.

Salute the nation