• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers free agents singing -2014

steelbush

Reaction score
I think we need to bring Keisel back for depth...hell he would probably win the starting job. With the FA signings it really has me boggled on where our head lies for the draft. There are 3 guys I hope we stay far away from...Kelvin Benjamin, D Denard, and Louis Nix (sp?). KB and LN I think can be had in the late first rd, early 2nd. Denard....there is just nothing that impresses me about him. I wasn't real high on Justin Gilbert until I started watching tape on him. I just dont think he will be there at 1.15. I think it looks more and more like we are going OL if Lewan or Matthews is there.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
i dont want to take anything away from the steeler front office regarding free agency. but i do question how we sign mitchell to a 5 mill per year when we could have signed one of the best corners to a 6,6 mill contract. if we sign verner, then i think we can really pick bpa. now i think all of us and all of the nfl knows we need to go corner

tjack

Forefather
Reaction score
During this Free agent signing period I've noticed how the local Pgh newspapers are stating the ages of the new Steeler players. Has Warren Sapp been notified as of yet?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
The new brand of football..arms tackles,press coverage,quick slants over the middle all day and group hugs to bring players down.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
i dont want to take anything away from the steeler front office regarding free agency. but i do question how we sign mitchell to a 5 mill per year when we could have signed one of the best corners to a 6,6 mill contract. if we sign verner, then i think we can really pick bpa. now i think all of us and all of the nfl knows we need to go corner

did you see how much of his contract is guaranteed? it is a good contract for us, many other defensive backs got similar $/year but their guaranteed money was way higher. We can part ways after 2 years if things don't work out and have a minimun cap hit

F

Franco

Never heard of any of these players other than blount or bay but their bios sound much better than the street free agents that have been our depth for years

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
did you see how much of his contract is guaranteed? it is a good contract for us, many other defensive backs got similar $/year but their guaranteed money was way higher. We can part ways after 2 years if things don't work out and have a minimun cap hit

i get that. I hope mitchell turns out to be an incredible signing for us. But Verner would also have been a great player for us. to me the bigger need was corner and we could have gotten one of the best for 1.6mil more.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
i get that. I hope mitchell turns out to be an incredible signing for us. But Verner would also have been a great player for us. to me the bigger need was corner and we could have gotten one of the best for 1.6mil more.

Huge difference in the structure of the two contracts. Mitchell's deal gives him a cap hit in 2014 of just under $2M. Verner did not receive a signing bonus. Instead, he received a salary in 2014 of $5M and 2015 of $4.25M, both fully guaranteed. He also received a roster bonus of $3M in 2014 with a workout bonus of $250K, making his 2014 salary cap cost $8.25M.

Verner's per year average of ~$6.4M was not the question as it is not much greater than Mitchell's, but his cap hit that was $6.25+M more was too steep.

Do you think he would have massaged those numbers around to satisfy the Steelers and take less guaranteed? Maybe. I doubt it. He will see $12+M guaranteed over the next two seasons. That deal was structured by Verner so he made sure he stayed for 4 seasons. He gave up bigger $$$ upfront (signing bonus) and structured a deal with a nice easy average cap number.

Steelers could have done it next year, just not enough room to do it this year.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for that info TMC, greatly explained as usual