• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers have big plans for James Conner-Jaylen Samuels tandem - Pittsburgh Steelers

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This is the most depth we've had in the running back room in quite awhile. I also love the drive all of these guys are showing and can't wait to see it all play out. It's definitely a group of guys who willing to put aside individual accolades for the benefit of the team.

stevielee

Reaction score
This is the most depth we've had in the running back room in quite awhile. I also love the drive all of these guys are showing and can't wait to see it all play out. It's definitely a group of guys who willing to put aside individual accolades for the benefit of the team.
I was thinking the same thing, been following them since the mid-70s and I can't recall a Steeler team with this much depth at the running back position.

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice find to the OP. Great read and I love the show of selflessness these guys are showing. Conner can't wait to see his guys perform, Jsam wants what's best for the team.................................... as I've said before this cohesion of players is a "game changer" for the team.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He was VERY impressive in that game both running and receiving. If Conner is healthy, I bring JaySam in as a RB2 or TE2. He played a ton of TE in college.

Vader

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, been following them since the mid-70s and I can't recall a Steeler team with this much depth at the running back position.

Not sure I agree with that. You have a oft used Samuels and a rookie. I'm sure players like Parker and Bleier would be considered better depth.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice article, but the author was concerned about the speed of the backfield this year. MeVeon wasn't elite speed wise either.

stevielee

Reaction score
Not sure I agree with that. You have a oft used Samuels and a rookie. I'm sure players like Parker and Bleier would be considered better depth.
True, Connor and to a lesser degree Samuels are the only ones who have been tested, but Bleier was a fullback and usually on the field with Franco, but for the most part I can't remember being this excited about the Steeler backfield in a long time.

SteveA

Reaction score
I read this yesterday & Conner, while saying the "right thing" about the other backs BETTER REALIZE....Things can change oh so quickly in the backfield of todays NFL. Guys are out of the league that 2 years ago were the Bell cow running back. You can be yesterdays news so quickly as a RB

Those guys want your freakin' job dude & you better bring the action....Hold onto the rock & hold onto your job

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice article, but the author was concerned about the speed of the backfield this year. MeVeon wasn't elite speed wise either.

Conner had more 20+ yard runs then meMEvon so there is that. I think Conner was faster and proved better statistically than Bell. Speed could be a factor but didn't seem to stop Conner from getting his yards.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Conner had more 20+ yard runs then meMEvon so there is that. I think Conner was faster and proved better statistically than Bell. Speed could be a factor but didn't seem to stop Conner from getting his yards.

Salute the nation

Conner is looking beastly this offseason. If he stays healthy good things.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Conners made big strides last year and Samuels did well. I like this Samuels kid and if Tomlin will let plyers like this play it could help especially on third and short and inside the five.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Conner is looking beastly this offseason. If he stays healthy good things.

I totally agree but one more thing....................... Some act as if Bell was just let go but he hasn't suited up at all LAST season and Conner came out and made us totally forget about the 1/2meMEme twin. Why the hell does Conner have to prove anything over Bell when he has already proven that aspect and B.) Bell isn't even in the picture here, as if Conner failed, Bell could step in............ shlitZ giggles that makes about as much sense as boobie on a sunday.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I totally agree but one more thing....................... Some act as if Bell was just let go but he hasn't suited up at all LAST season and Conner came out and made us totally forget about the 1/2meMEme twin. Why the hell does Conner have to prove anything over Bell when he has already proven that aspect and B.) Bell isn't even in the picture here, as if Conner failed, Bell could step in............ shlitZ giggles that makes about as much sense as boobie on a sunday.

Salute the nation

I won't be surprised if Jetski pin-joint in NY stinks up the joint, really hard for a player to sit out a year and come back and resume where they left off. And we know their O-line isn't as good as the Steelers. I have a feeling he will get a real eye opener upcoming..

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I won't be surprised if Jetski pin-joint in NY stinks up the joint, really hard for a player to sit out a year and come back and resume where they left off. And we know their O-line isn't as good as the Steelers. I have a feeling he will get a real eye opener upcoming..

Yes sirReeeE, I've got a feeliN. Without leMEon we will be just fine and he (leMEon) will be tokiN before end of season.

Salute the nation

stevielee

Reaction score
Yeah running backs should be solid, hell I even like the Edwards kid. Got high expectations for the whole team, barring injuries. I think all the drama and bullshit this offseason has put a big chip on their shoulder.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
True, Connor and to a lesser degree Samuels are the only ones who have been tested, but Bleier was a fullback and usually on the field with Franco, but for the most part I can't remember being this excited about the Steeler backfield in a long time.

Actually in the 70’s Franco was the Full Back and Rocky was the Half Back. The running game was switched as it became in the 80s and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

stevielee

Reaction score
Actually in the 70’s Franco was the Full Back and Rocky was the Half Back. The running game was switched as it became in the 80s and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
You're right, good call, I just keep picturing them lined up in the I formation with Bleier leading Harris through the line. Either way they were both on the field together a lot.

Vader

Reaction score

But that's just it. Neither are tested. There isn't an entire starting season between them. So combined they have 15 total NFL starts. Add to that Conner was hurt at the end of last year. I understand the excitement but this is not a tested or proven group.