• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers interviewing Hue Jackson for OC

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Pittsburgh Steelers interviewed former Browns Head Coach Hue Jackson earlier this week for the offensive coordinator position per a league source.</p>— Dianna Russini (@diannaESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1352287656173043712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 21, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mdk2

Reaction score
This must be the minority interview. Call me crazy but I'd take Hue over Canada...

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I'll give them credit, they're looking outside the organization.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
When Hue was a Raider he put up a good amount of points and they ran the ball well.

Was Cincy's WR's coach when Ocho and whoseyourmomma had a nice run, and was Baltimore's QB coach when Flacco was the first rookie to win two road playoff games, I think was the stat.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
It pissed off Baker when he was fired and went to the Bengals mid-season. I would imagine coming to the Steelers would not sit well with the little gremlin, either.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I came for the wailing and gnashing of teeth.... Where is it? lol

Edit: Never mind, I found it in the Haskins thread. By the way, Haskins to the Steelers? That's a No from Dawg! Doesn't study, hasn't shown a professional approach to his job, fails to read the defense. And, has shown no desire couple "learning the game" with his physical gifts.

Last edited:

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score

Some guys are just better coordinators than head coaches, like Hue Jackson, Dick LeBeau, and Mike Tomlin. ;)

I mean I'd love for Maroney, but sounds like he's heading to Bama, but Jackson as a position coach and oc seems to have done well.

mdk2

Reaction score

Edit: Never mind, I found it in the Haskins thread. By the way, Haskins to the Steelers? That's a No from Dawg! Doesn't study, hasn't shown a professional approach to his job, fails to read the defense. And, has shown no desire couple "learning the game" with his physical gifts.

Say what you will about Jackson as a HC.. not very good but I don't think anyone can question him as a play caller, he's pretty damn good.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Was Cincy's WR's coach when Ocho and whoseyourmomma had a nice run, and was Baltimore's QB coach when Flacco was the first rookie to win two road playoff games, I think was the stat.

Yep. They put up a ton of points.

I like it.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Must be a signal that Ben is staying. Canada probably wants a different QB. Then again- possibly moving Canada up, kicking the tires on Haskins...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Jackson got all of those opportunities for a reason. He was a good offensive coach known for his ground game. Probably not my top choice, but not the drastic change we'd see scheme was relative to what Canada's offense is.

bmoritz

Reaction score
Honestly, I really like this idea, and wouldn't be upset with Jackson as OC. As head coach, he's one of the few I would rather keep Tomlin over!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think Jackson would be terrible, but he still has too much stench on him from coaching for loser franchises (Oakland, Cincinnati, Cleveland).

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'd definitely have a good look. The key for me would for the candidate to explain what he thought was wrong schematically last year.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
With our offense? That is easy Randy sucked.[emoji16]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

If that was the answer, I'd say can you be a tad more specific. It was the same with when the team couldn't run the ball. I'd have taken the OC, the Oline coach and the running back coach in the film room. The question would be why can we not run the ball. The one with the worst answer would no longer be employed.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If that was the answer, I'd say can you be a tad more specific. It was the same with when the team couldn't run the ball. I'd have taken the OC, the Oline coach and the running back coach in the film room. The question would be why can we not run the ball. The one with the worst answer would no longer be employed.

1. Coaching - I don't know the intricacies of a blocking scheme, but I do know you need to practice to be good at running the ball. The Steelers have become so pass happy they've deemphasized the ground game. The highlight of Cowher's training camps used to be the goal line drill and it was basically offense vs. defense. Battle in the trenches. Offense was going to pound the ball in and the defense is going to try to stop them. It set a physical tone. With Tomlin, they do seven shots which mostly consists of shotgun spread them out, throw the ball. This team has to enter training camp next year with the philosophy and the mentality that they are going to run the ball. That means a LOT of running plays.

2. Offensive line - DeCastro was banged up. Pouncey just doesn't match up against big, powerful IDL anymore. Okorafor is poor at run blocking, not only in physical matchups, but also his processing of the play. This also goes back up to No. 1. These guys aren't conditioned for run blocking. They are used to sustaining blocks for 2.5 seconds or less until Ben gets his pass off. As the season progresses they have fewer and fewer run blocking reps. Look at early in the year when they ran the ball well with Conner. It wasn't perfect, but the more opportunities you give them, eventually the ground games improves.

3. Running backs - They lack vision and take themselves out of plays. Conner is the best, but he seems to press too often. Tries to be a little too much like Le'Veon Bell and not what made him such a successful back in college. Snell isn't much better and McFarland just seems to completely lack any vision. If it isn't the design hole, he's not hitting it.

Again, I fix this by emphasizing it during the offseason and training camp. I'm drafting a tackle in the first round and a center in the second or third. Maybe I sign a stopgap center until the rookie is ready, but I'm not worried about a rookie starting. We've seen a lot of success over the years with young offensive linemen around the league. Then I'm drafting Williams or Gainwell in the second. Williams is a do-it-all back who can make defenders miss. Gainwell sat out the season so we haven't seen him as much, but he has big-play ability and is an asset in the passing game.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
1. Coaching - I don't know the intricacies of a blocking scheme, but I do know you need to practice to be good at running the ball. The Steelers have become so pass happy they've deemphasized the ground game. The highlight of Cowher's training camps used to be the goal line drill and it was basically offense vs. defense. Battle in the trenches. Offense was going to pound the ball in and the defense is going to try to stop them. It set a physical tone. With Tomlin, they do seven shots which mostly consists of shotgun spread them out, throw the ball. This team has to enter training camp next year with the philosophy and the mentality that they are going to run the ball. That means a LOT of running plays.

2. Offensive line - DeCastro was banged up. Pouncey just doesn't match up against big, powerful IDL anymore. Okorafor is poor at run blocking, not only in physical matchups, but also his processing of the play. This also goes back up to No. 1. These guys aren't conditioned for run blocking. They are used to sustaining blocks for 2.5 seconds or less until Ben gets his pass off. As the season progresses they have fewer and fewer run blocking reps. Look at early in the year when they ran the ball well with Conner. It wasn't perfect, but the more opportunities you give them, eventually the ground games improves.

3. Running backs - They lack vision and take themselves out of plays. Conner is the best, but he seems to press too often. Tries to be a little too much like Le'Veon Bell and not what made him such a successful back in college. Snell isn't much better and McFarland just seems to completely lack any vision. If it isn't the design hole, he's not hitting it.

Again, I fix this by emphasizing it during the offseason and training camp. I'm drafting a tackle in the first round and a center in the second or third. Maybe I sign a stopgap center until the rookie is ready, but I'm not worried about a rookie starting. We've seen a lot of success over the years with young offensive linemen around the league. Then I'm drafting Williams or Gainwell in the second. Williams is a do-it-all back who can make defenders miss. Gainwell sat out the season so we haven't seen him as much, but he has big-play ability and is an asset in the passing game.

Blah blah blah...Cowher has been gone a long time. Move on my friend. Oh....**** Tomlin also but living in the past won't get us to the future.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Blah blah blah...Cowher has been gone a long time. Move on my friend. Oh....**** Tomlin also but living in the past won't get us to the future.

So you can't discuss coaching differences as it comes to developing a run game during the offseason and training camp on a message board? Got it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think Jackson would be terrible, but he still has too much stench on him from coaching for loser franchises (Oakland, Cincinnati, Cleveland).

Did you happen to see that two of those teams beat us this season and yes, one of those two beat us twice.

If Jackson were to come in here and get results, which I'm sure he is fully capable, that stench would be a NON-factor.

Salute the nation